Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #15286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't prepared. I had a sweatshirt with a hoodie that saved the day for the back of my neck area but they still penetrated most of the clothing I had on.
I bought a few and keep those nets with a pair of gloves in my various camera and hiking packs in case I'm caught off guard!

10-27-2020, 02:00 PM - 7 Likes   #15287
Pentaxian

Shooting up some aging Portra 160

GX617, EBC 90mm, Portra 160, Tetenal 1-Liter Kit

Last edited by tuco; 10-27-2020 at 03:50 PM.
10-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #15288
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
A while ago I did some comparisons began the FA150-300, 300 FA* and the FA 400. If you look through this thread you will find the pictures. I found that the 300 FA* has less or shall I say near zero CA, whereas the 400mm is prone to some CA in some situations. Since then I have found that at closer distances the 300* is actually a little bit sharper. But at further distances beyond +/-200m I would say they are equal, except for the CA issue in high contrast parts of the image.

The big benefit of the FA300* is that it pairs very well with the 1.4 TC, whereas the 400 does not, at least in my experience.

The two pictures below are with the FA* 300mm and with the 1.4TC. I have not tested this on objects further away, but at least in this instance at abt 10m there seems to be no loss of quality. Except of course that the TC is manual focus only.

On these jpg pictures the TC picture look a bit sharper, which is because of the jpg loss and resizing. In raw they are equal in sharpness.
Thanks for sharing. I probably will go for 300mm as I will get benefit of two focal lengths, a 300mm and 420mm with the 1.4 teleconverter.

Probably will use one in the coming days for my upcoming trip to mountains and see how it performs.
10-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #15289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once the skeeters were so bad. I was prepared and covered in DEET. Unfortunately, a new Sekonic light meter was hanging from my neck. Didn't know the chemical eats some plastic. The Sekonic's back side still looks ravaged by measles . Ugly, but still works fine.

Thanks,
barondla

10-27-2020, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #15290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Once the skeeters were so bad. I was prepared and covered in DEET. Unfortunately, a new Sekonic light meter was hanging from my neck. Didn't know the chemical eats some plastic. The Sekonic's back side still looks ravaged by measles . Ugly, but still works fine.

Thanks,
barondla

Prepare for a silly Dad joke...

Good job you haven't had plastic surgery then :-)
10-27-2020, 06:30 PM - 4 Likes   #15291
Pentaxian

The 'Freshwater' class ferries operate in Sydney - between Circular Quay and the famous, beachside suburb of Manly. This trip involves a traverse of the Harbour Heads which, at times, exposes the vessels to some quite large swell. They were introduced in 1982 (with the launch of Freshwater herself; the other vessels, Queenscliff, Narrabeen and Collaroy were progressively launched between then and 1988) and have become a world famous symbol of Sydney. Now, the powers-that-be have announced an intention to withdraw them, with smaller, soulless, modern catamarans taking their place. Needless to say, there is a major campaign to overturn this decision which I ardently hope is successful.

Here you can see some of the vessels operating two days ago, in the conditions they were built to handle. All shots taken with the Pentax 645Z and 6x7 400mm EDIF lens (some with the 1.4x teleconverter, others not)...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
10-27-2020, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #15292
Pentaxian

I suspect that catamarans would be more prone to cancellation due to poor weather than these...
10-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #15293
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I suspect that catamarans would be more prone to cancellation due to poor weather than these...
Yes, I think you're right Paul. That said, they seem to be making a point of cancelling these more readily now to try and undermine that very point.

10-28-2020, 03:17 AM   #15294
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
The third picture with the trees in the sand dune is exceptional. Thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added 2020-10-27 at 09:16 AM ----------

Yasir, those pictures of Pakistan are really nice. I think I need to add a trip to Pakistan to my bucket list.

---------- Post added 2020-10-27 at 09:17 AM ----------

This salamander was very patient with you posing for a shot like that. Great shot.

---------- Post added 2020-10-27 at 10:10 AM ----------

We went hiking these past couple of weekends and although we had a late starts every time I still got some bright sunlight pictures. These are tough hikes with multiple mountains and trails going up what seems never-ending and then going down to sea level again, just to go up again. The reward is a spectacular view of Hong Kong's green belt areas.

Pictures taken with 645z with 6x7 M 55-100mm and FA 45-85mm.

FA 45-85: The boating channel between Hong Kong Harbour and the shores of the Northern Territories. The plateau of the island is a very popular camping spot for loacal back packers. Access to the island is by speed boat only.

20201025-CWB Hike-03
by Theuns vanNiekerk, on Flickr

FA45-85: A popular group of island for boat diving trips with diving opportunities for all skills levels. Weather permitting of course.

20201025-CWB Hike-02

FA 45-85: Entrance to a protected bay to two of the many popular beaches in Hong Kong. Clearwater bay Beach #1 and #2.

20201025-CWB Hike-01

6x7 55-100mm: Panorama view over the shores of the Northern Territories, the green belt of an otherwise concrete jungle city.

20201018-Sai Wan Hike-12

6x7 55-100mm: Hiking is very popular in Hong Kong and backpackers from the city flood the countryside to go camping on the remote beaches. You can see one of the hiking trails going up the mountain in the distance. Good luck on that one.

20201018-Sai Wan Hike-11

6x7 55-100mm: Camping in the rough. On this mountain range there are a couple of remote beaches, some with local shops where you can stock up on supplies, or have a meal. The further away you go the ability to buy supplies diminish. At the furthest beaches you only find the die hard back packers. A nice break from an otherwise densely populated city.

20201018-Sai Wan Hike-05

Thanks for liking. You must visit Pakistan someday. Would love to take you around whenever you plan.
10-28-2020, 06:58 AM - 5 Likes   #15295
Pentaxian

645Z 28-45

10-28-2020, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #15296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
The 'Freshwater' class ferries operate in Sydney - between Circular Quay and the famous, beachside suburb of Manly. This trip involves a traverse of the Harbour Heads which, at times, exposes the vessels to some quite large swell. They were introduced in 1982 (with the launch of Freshwater herself; the other vessels, Queenscliff, Narrabeen and Collaroy were progressively launched between then and 1988) and have become a world famous symbol of Sydney. Now, the powers-that-be have announced an intention to withdraw them, with smaller, soulless, modern catamarans taking their place. Needless to say, there is a major campaign to overturn this decision which I ardently hope is successful.

Here you can see some of the vessels operating two days ago, in the conditions they were built to handle. All shots taken with the Pentax 645Z and 6x7 400mm EDIF lens (some with the 1.4x teleconverter, others not)...

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
If such procurements are anything like here, there are likely political 'donations' [kickbacks] involved somewhere along the food chain.
10-28-2020, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #15297
Pentaxian

Something seasonal
Portra 400

Last edited by tuco; 10-28-2020 at 11:43 AM.
10-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #15298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Look! It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!!

Stan
10-28-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #15299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
Wow, that looks pretty rough. I've been on that ferry route and wound up feeding the fish with my dinner on the way back from Manly. But it was calm so I think the drinks in Manly did me in!
Overslept and had to sprint for my flight in the morning after. That was rough.
10-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #15300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, that looks pretty rough. I've been on that ferry route and wound up feeding the fish with my dinner on the way back from Manly. But it was calm so I think the drinks in Manly did me in!
Overslept and had to sprint for my flight in the morning after. That was rough.

Hah! That sounds like a classic, Australian trip to me :-)

Once we are out of this Covid madness, if you find yourself over here again, be sure to give me a holler!

---------- Post added 10-29-20 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
If such procurements are anything like here, there are likely political 'donations' [kickbacks] involved somewhere along the food chain.
In the words of Francis Urquhart, "while you might very well say that, I couldn't possibly comment..."

---------- Post added 10-29-20 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
This one contrasts the varying sand conditions.
T-Max 100 scanned in color mode just to see if I like it or not.

Tuco, I must say that I definitely do like it! Stunning...