Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #15376
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
So, you drive a Nissan !!! Just Kidding ! Very nice "moody" image.

Regards
Thanks mate - really appreciate it :-)
P.S. I still think of it as 'the Datsun'. Showing my age...

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Ed - your Z looks as well used as mine...
Hey Paul. Yes, it's seen a lot of use over the years, and I have never 'babied' my equipment. Hope you're still able to get out a little bit at the moment...

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Growing up in South Africa, cars were always an important part of life. If a friend bought a new car we would gather around and first open the hood (bonnet) and look at the engine. Everything else were secondary to that.

Seeing Ed's camera reminded me of that, and the words that came to my mind were: ah nice picture but let's first look at your camera. :-)

Thanks for sharing Ed. You are an inspiration...
That's so kind of you, Theuns. Likewise right back at ya!

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

Cool shot showing the rig there. I ought to post one of mine. But, it's a cell phone shot...
My 'behind the scenes' shots are with my mobile 'phone too. Just regular Samsung shots...

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
(replying here to your various superb posts)

Mike - notice that this was the first time I put into practice your tip of using a monopod for further stabilisation when shooting with the 600mm. Much simpler than the other big lens rigs I have dabbled with and highly effective. Thank you!

11-09-2020, 06:02 AM   #15377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Fall season
Fuji Pro 400H, Tetenal C-41 kit

I see a tiny bit of luminance in the greens, and I kinda feel like it compliments your theme... very pleasing. Atmospheric and sentimental.
11-09-2020, 06:17 AM - 4 Likes   #15378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

The way it worked on that day, was get Hatteras in the morning, then head to Ocracoke, then back the way I came. That involved a ferry boat and lots of wait time. This, while the sky was changing. Coastal clouds, as it were.

So, here is Hatteras:

And about four hours later, Ocracoke. Reposted here so y'all don't have to scroll backwards in the thread:

On the way back, about another four hours later still, the sun was setting and shining under the cloud cover on Bodie Island. So, an unplanned shot of a lighthouse I already had taken. But, I do really like this shot.

So, now I am done on the cell phone here.

Stan

Edit: I ought to post the 645D shots too.

Hatteras:

Ocracoke, so y'all don't have to scroll.

Bodie Island at Sunset:

Stan

Last edited by wa2kqy; 11-09-2020 at 06:33 AM.
11-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #15379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

The way it worked on that day, was get Hatteras in the morning, then head to Ocracoke, then back the way I came. That involved a ferry boat and lots of wait time. This, while the sky was changing. Coastal clouds, as it were.

So, here is Hatteras:

And about four hours later, Ocracoke. Reposted here so y'all don't have to scroll backwards in the thread:

On the way back, about another four hours later still, the sun was setting and shining under the cloud cover on Bodie Island. So, an unplanned shot of a lighthouse I already had taken. But, I do really like this shot.

So, now I am done on the cell phone here.

Stan

Edit: I ought to post the 645D shots too.

Hatteras:

Ocracoke, so y'all don't have to scroll.

Bodie Island at Sunset:

Stan
Oh my, it's impossible to tell the 645D shots from the cellphone's (joke)

Kidding aside Bodie at sunset is great. Perhaps that should be on the quilt. Though, the other quilt images aren't sunsets. So it may stick out too much.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

11-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #15380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Crossing Sydney Harbour Heads around sunrise, one of the large Manly ferries battles across tempestuous waters.

645Z with 600mm f5.6 lens and 1.4x converter
[/url][/IMG]

---------- Post added 11-08-20 at 08:52 AM ----------

The 'taking of...' shots

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
Love the tele image!!
very nice and cool on the monopod deployment. I get much better results with my 600 rig when that is touching the ground, ever so lightly (not locked in place, but just making contact)
11-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #15381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

I presume you guys are talking about the old 'monopod on the camera' and 'lens on a tripod' trick?

I sometimes use that one myself. But, obviously I didn't for the lighthouse shots.

Stan
11-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #15382
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Fall season
Fuji Pro 400H, Tetenal C-41 kit

Lovely image. Great atmosphere.
11-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #15383
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
I see a tiny bit of luminance in the greens, and I kinda feel like it compliments your theme... very pleasing. Atmospheric and sentimental.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Lovely image. Great atmosphere.
Thanks.

11-09-2020, 11:54 AM - 6 Likes   #15384
Pentaxian

I'll repost this Crown Graphic shot just because of something I found interesting. I took the picture both to get a portrait of my buddy, Mr. Stellar Jay, and to test a the original lens back from repair that came with the camera but didn't work due to a sticky shutter.

Anyway, what I found interesting was the perception that because it was a portrait of a bird and not a human, the camera was expected to have been done handhold. But it seems if the portrait was of a person, using a tripod would have been assumed or expected even.

Crown Graphic, Schneider Xenar 135/4.7, FP4+, D-23
11-09-2020, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #15385
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CROP OF THE DAY : 10 minutes of sunshine in all today, but 10 awesome minutes ...

This Monday I had nothing to do in particular. I set out on the road with my 645Z not knowing where I would end. It was cloudy bright and on the radio they said it would be sunny today but that didn't materialize except for about 10 minutes when I was exactly at my favorite photo location (Batiscan River). I had just the time to set-up my gear and take 12 pictures before the cloud cover became menacing and I had to pack up my things. An "awesome" 10 minutes ... First image with the FA 33-55 mm f/4.5 and the 2 lower ones with the FA 200 mm f/4.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 11-09-2020 at 02:09 PM.
11-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #15386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

That is one of my favorite places for you to shoot, too. Happy that Mr Sun seems to think so as well.

And...Now I got a Johnny Rae song stuck in my head!

And...I think you are gonna make me pick up one of those 33-55s, too...

Stan
11-09-2020, 01:06 PM - 4 Likes   #15387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wood turtle from yesterday

11-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #15388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go ahead, Stan ! Buying this small FA 33-55 mm f/4.5 zoom for 400 $ U.S. was the best thing I ever did. I hope you fall on a copy as good as mine is.

Regards

P.S. Too bad you can't hear the roar of the rushing water too ...

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 11-09-2020 at 05:48 PM.
11-09-2020, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #15389
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote

Hey Paul. Yes, it's seen a lot of use over the years, and I have never 'babied' my equipment. Hope you're still able to get out a little bit at the moment...

:
Am due to fly to Denmark in 2 weeks for 17/18 Christmas shows. Logistics is getting interesting with Bozo's team trying to look tough by banning all direct entry to England from Denmark at 2 hours notice. Net result is that BA have cancelled all flights for the rest of the month so using all my energy finding alternative routes in and back. Due to fly back on 21st Dec. Having been working in Denmark at this time of the year for 7 out of the last 10 years. Though I will be persona non grata if I miss our son's first Christmas, I don't think that this will happen, but after earning nothing at all since February, this is paid well enough to live off for a year, so need it to go ahead...No government support because I have made too much (tax paid) profit over the last few years...
11-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #15390
Pentaxian

Hi,

I presume you guys are talking about the old 'monopod on the camera' and 'lens on a tripod' trick?

I sometimes use that one myself. But, obviously I didn't for the lighthouse shots.

Stan

Yes, that's the one. I hadn't ever heard of it until Mike kindly shared it with me. I had previously tried to use more complex rigs to support big lenses. Three points of contact, etc.. Or two tripods. They work well but they take lots of patience to set-up and can be maddening in use if you're having to move the camera around to shoot. This method is much more flexible. As Mike says, the monopod not tightened but just making loose contact with the ground seems to be enough to minimise the vibration.

---------- Post added 11-10-20 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Am due to fly to Denmark in 2 weeks for 17/18 Christmas shows. Logistics is getting interesting with Bozo's team trying to look tough by banning all direct entry to England from Denmark at 2 hours notice. Net result is that BA have cancelled all flights for the rest of the month so using all my energy finding alternative routes in and back. Due to fly back on 21st Dec. Having been working in Denmark at this time of the year for 7 out of the last 10 years. Though I will be persona non grata if I miss our son's first Christmas, I don't think that this will happen, but after earning nothing at all since February, this is paid well enough to live off for a year, so need it to go ahead...No government support because I have made too much (tax paid) profit over the last few years...
Good luck with it, Paul. Hope it works for you and is also safe for everyone concerned!