Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #15736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
You may (or may not!) remember that back in October, I posted some pictures of Sydney's North Head area ablaze, because a "hazard reduction burn" had got out of control and ignited quite a wide area...

Well, yesterday, I managed to get up there a take a picture of the devastated area, with fog in the background. Apart from the damage, you will also notice the green shoots of recovery. In fact, many native Australian species actually need periodic burning in order to seed and reproduce (don't ask me which ones!).

645Z with 28-45mm lens @ 28mm handheld, using image stabilisation (ISO 400)

[/url][/IMG]

If anyone wants to be reminded of the blaze pictures, you can see them here:
North Head Fire 17-10-2020 | Flickr
Great image! Depressing, until one notices the little spriggs of green. Amazing how the scene looks like it was shot in B&W, then the green pops out to prove otherwise. A masterpiece.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

12-17-2020, 07:12 PM - 2 Likes   #15737
Pentaxian

expired fuji 50D e-6 120 film cross processed c-41.....yashicaflex C TLR 80/f35 yashikor

12-18-2020, 02:16 AM - 5 Likes   #15738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Three years ago we were on a trip to Iceland. The temperature was not too bad, much warmer than Finland/Norway but still cold and iced up. The picture is of Gullfoss half frozen. At first I wasn't too impressed because the waterfall is a multi cascade in half ice. That meant the colours were all in grey-scale except for the deep blue/turquoise colour of the water. I would say the waterfall in its entirety is too much to appreciate.

In my view this is one of those rare cases where the sum of all parts is more than the value of the total combined entity. The opposite of typical synergy. Although seeing the falls in Summer or Autumn may be a totally different experience. Next time I go the 67 400mm lens is going with because I want to capture these smaller details individually, and perhaps go earlier in Autumn before the big ice starts. Beautiful country, worth more than one or two photo trips.

I cropped out two panoramas, one from the upper falls and the second from the lower falls. I also include two enlargements of the smaller details to show the beauty hidden in these waterfalls. Both panoramas are sized for a max size print of 3.0m wide about 1.0m high. I have one wall available but will have to bring it down to 2.5m wide :-) - I suppose I need more wall space.

645z with FA645 80-160 f4.5 @ 108mm and f/9.5 ISO100 at 1sec exposure.

The first panorama crop is from the top falls where you can see the dark smoke from the volcanic vent on the right side

And an enlargement showing the details of the multiple falls, the description that comes to my mind is "angel falls". All these falls have intricate details like this. If you look at the panorama above it is the first set of falls from the right side.

The second panorama crop is from the bottom falls loaded with smaller hidden details.

And here is the enlargement of some of the details in in panorama #2.

This is the overall view of the falls from which I cropped the panoramas. Kudos to the 80-160 lens for bringing home the bacon.

At the top right you can see the dark smoke from the volcanic vent.

Last edited by TDvN57; 12-18-2020 at 05:11 AM.
12-18-2020, 04:56 AM   #15739
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Sure is pretty. My first thought was: Wow! My second thought is: This is why they call it Iceland!

Stan

12-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #15740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

Sure is pretty. My first thought was: Wow! My second thought is: This is why they call it Iceland!

Stan

Isn't it the old Viking story to deter invaders and deflect then to Greenland?
12-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #15741
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
expired fuji 50D e-6 120 film
I'm not familiar with that Fuji film. When I look it, I find either C-41 process 50D Cinestill film or Kodak 50D cine color negative film. But no 'Fuji' or 'E-6 '?
12-18-2020, 09:47 AM - 5 Likes   #15742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Artful Driveway

FujiFilm GA645wi Pro, Fujinon 45mm f/4.0, Ilford FP4 Plus
f/4.8 1/190 ASA 50 Yellow Filter, XTOL stock, 8 Min @68 degrees
Epson Perfection V550 Photo Scanner

Attached Images

12-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #15743
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'm not familiar with that Fuji film. When I look it, I find either C-41 process 50D Cinestill film or Kodak 50D cine color negative film. But no 'Fuji' or 'E-6 '?
my bad....i took slide film to b E-6 so put that on there........the foil label is

50D fujichrome RFP120
12-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #15744
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Three years ago we were on a trip to Iceland. The temperature was not too bad, much warmer than Finland/Norway but still cold and iced up. The picture is of Gullfoss half frozen. At first I wasn't too impressed because the waterfall is a multi cascade in half ice. That meant the colours were all in grey-scale except for the deep blue/turquoise colour of the water. I would say the waterfall in its entirety is too much to appreciate.

In my view this is one of those rare cases where the sum of all parts is more than the value of the total combined entity. The opposite of typical synergy. Although seeing the falls in Summer or Autumn may be a totally different experience. Next time I go the 67 400mm lens is going with because I want to capture these smaller details individually, and perhaps go earlier in Autumn before the big ice starts. Beautiful country, worth more than one or two photo trips.

I cropped out two panoramas, one from the upper falls and the second from the lower falls. I also include two enlargements of the smaller details to show the beauty hidden in these waterfalls. Both panoramas are sized for a max size print of 3.0m wide about 1.0m high. I have one wall available but will have to bring it down to 2.5m wide :-) - I suppose I need more wall space.

645z with FA645 80-160 f4.5 @ 108mm and f/9.5 ISO100 at 1sec exposure.

The first panorama crop is from the top falls where you can see the dark smoke from the volcanic vent on the right side

And an enlargement showing the details of the multiple falls, the description that comes to my mind is "angel falls". All these falls have intricate details like this. If you look at the panorama above it is the first set of falls from the right side.

The second panorama crop is from the bottom falls loaded with smaller hidden details.

And here is the enlargement of some of the details in in panorama #2.

This is the overall view of the falls from which I cropped the panoramas. Kudos to the 80-160 lens for bringing home the bacon.

At the top right you can see the dark smoke from the volcanic vent.
Inspirational scenery and images. Can't be the easiest shooting conditions. I like the closeups, especially when viewing on my tablet. Small screen or print can only support so much detail. Glad you are printing the panos large. Happy the FA 80-160 is up to the task.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
12-19-2020, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #15745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All in a day's work : Sainte Anne then Batiscan Rivers in early winter garb.

We have a window of opportunity lasting 2 to 3 weeks at the beginning of winter when we can admire rivers with still flowing water and pristine snow mounds. Later in the season, the rivers become all "frozen over" and no water is visible, making pictures less interesting. Today I brought along three 67 lenses : a 45 mm f/4 wide-angle, a 75 mm f/2.8 normal and a 90-180 mm f/5.6 short telephoto zoom with the 645Z and shot only handheld at higher shutter speeds. Two images of the Sainte Anne : #1 with the 67 M 75 mm f/2.8 AL and #2 (slightly cropped because the line of horizon was off) with the 67 M 45 mm f/4. Then four images of the Batiscan : #3 with the 45 mm f/4, #4 vertical with the 75 mm f/2.8, #5 with the zoom @ 90 mm and #6 with the zoom @ 180 mm. No use to stop down these lenses further than f/8 or f/11 unless you want to increase the depth-of-field.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 12-20-2020 at 11:03 AM.
12-19-2020, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #15746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
We have a window of opportunity lasting 2 to 3 weeks at the beginning of winter when we can admire rivers with still flowing water and pristine snow mounds. Later in the season, the rivers become all "frozen over" and no water is visible, making pictures less interesting. Today I brought along three 67 lenses : a 45 mm f/4 wide-angle, a 75 mm f/2.8 normal and a 90-180 mm f/5.6 short telephoto zoom with the 645Z and shot only handheld at higher shutter speeds. Two images of the Sainte Anne : #1 with the 67 M 75 mm f/2.8 AL and #2 (slightly cropped because the line of horizon was off) with the 67 M 45 mm f/4. Four images of the Batiscan : #3 with the 45 mm f/4, #4 vertical with the 75 mm f/2.8, #5 with the zoom @ 90 mm and #6 with the zoom @ 180 mm. No use to stop down these lenses further than f/8 or f/11 unless you want to increase the depth-of-field.
What a majestic area. You've captured the grace and power beautifully.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
12-19-2020, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #15747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Batiscan River, detail of the WEIR, #1 75 mm f/2.8, #2 90-180 mm f/5.6 @ 90 mm FL.

I took pictures of the weir on the Batiscan River first with the 67 M 75 mm f/2.8 @ f/8 then with the 67 M 90-180 mm f/5.6 @ 90 mm FL and f/11. Both are remarquably sharp. 67 lenses are really in the "Major Leagues" for color accuracy, extreme sharpness and deep contrast..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 12-20-2020 at 12:02 AM.
12-20-2020, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #15748
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A vista view of the wild side of Hong Kong. Early morning fog, humidity and an incoming cloud front is obscuring the distant view.

The first picture demonstrates rather aptly the ultimate humour of nature, poking fun at what we hold so dear, as it points to the glory of a new morning breaking through. (Hope you have a smile and a grin at the word play - its Christmas after all)

I used the 6x7 105mm lens with the 645z. Nice and sharp even in the far distant shots the details are surprisingly good. The last panorama pictures has a red box indicating a residential area with a building crane boom, this is followed with an enlargement of the box where you can see the details of the building crane. Little bit of a blow-out on the colours that I misjudged.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo     
12-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #15749
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm beginning to think I have become some sort of a "lens hoarder" ... lol !

Today I found three "late 67" lenses from my heap of photo equipment : 90 mm f/2.8, 135 mm f/4 and 165 mm f/2.8. I will try them on the 645Z during the winter when I have time. I'm still looking for my 55 mm f/4, 105 mm f/2.4 and 100 mm f/4 Macro. They must be hidden in a closet somewhere downstairs.

Saturday I took a few images with the 45 mm f/4 wide-angle (that I considered "so-so" on the 67 II) and I found it performed splendidly on the digital camera. So far, I have tried my new gigantic 500 mm f/5.6, the two 67 zooms, the M* 300 mm, the M 200 mm and the M 75 mm f/2.8 AL. The only one I found subpar on the 67 II was the 90 mm f/2.8 and it may still surprise me.

Late Pentax 67 lenses perform really admirably on the 645Z.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 12-20-2020 at 01:18 PM.
12-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #15750
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I have a very old bag. Used to store bag dividers. You know, out of service bag, but maybe one day I might want it again. Like the large medium format bag with extra 645 and 67 lenses which has been pressed back into service.

Well, it's a bit too heavy. Dig out the dividers and in the bottom is my antique Nikkor 300mm f4.5 'H' lens. The thing the was already old in 1981 when I got it. The thing with many hours at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen shooting on an FE. I had even changed out the aperture ring to AI (for those other Pentax MF shooter who recall old Nikon stuff).

I had parked that for a newer ED variant, which died at The Glen And was replaced in turn by an AF one which was replaced by an AFS 300/4 which is since sold off.

So, a happy find to go with the Df.

And I still recall how to Pre focus and pan and shoot fast cars with it. And being the 'H' that's the Good Version compared to the 'P' one. Six elements v five.

So, I know the feeling. What else is lurking in the shadows forgotten??

Stan