Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2021, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #17536
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
Pentax 645N | SMC Pentax-FA 645 45-85mm ƒ4.5 | Ilford XP2 Super 400 | Eco Pro Stock R | CS F96

City Frame-191
by Eric Auer, on Flickr
Smart image.

11-03-2021, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #17537
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Looking down from The Rhigos viewpoint towards the Brecon Beacons last Saturday

GFX100s GF 32 - 64

beautiful image...great job

---------- Post added 11-03-21 at 07:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Some more re-edits and recovery of binned pictures from our trip to Namibia in 2019.

-
love this series
11-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #17538
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MFullana Quote
beautiful image...great job

love this series
Thanks Mike
11-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #17539
Pentaxian

beautiful image...great job[COLOR="Silver"]

[
Thanks Mike, much appreciated

11-03-2021, 05:40 PM - 3 Likes   #17540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This pano compilation surprised me with the incredible detail captured by the 80-160 lens. The image just did not come together in color and I switched to b&w, which did a better job to show the gentle slopes meeting with an apparent chaos in the contours and textures caused by weathering and erosion.

This valley shows signs of flood waters flowing in different directions even some run-off onto the far right which is a much larger dry river flowing directly into the sea. The coastal region is part of the skeleton coast in Namibia.

What caught my eye when we drove through this area was the stark difference between the inland rock formations and the softer contours of the dunes. The rock varies between a solid dark black color and a distinct rusty red (iron). What stands out is that the the rock formations all seem broken into pieces. Like you could imagine a child taking a hammer to his toys. My initial impression was that the mountainous areas look as if God was angry when he created the Namib desert. :-)

Next time I'm in Namibia I want to take a day or two to take pictures of the rock formations, in particular the transitions between different types of landscapes.

Even though I am impressed by the details and the performance of the 645z, I am less happy with the composition. It does not really communicate the impression that I experienced while looking out over this area. Perhaps I can do a mulligan of this or similar areas one day and try to capture the story better.

Still fun and good to know that even though my kit is getting old and not cutting edge anymore, it still out-performs my abilities to use it.

645z + FA 80-160. Handheld panels. I made a few crop cut-outs to show the detail even in far off areas.

-
Attached Images

11-04-2021, 06:27 AM - 5 Likes   #17541
Forum Member

Where's Waldo

This image was taken with the 645z and 90 2.8. It is a 6 or 7 shot pano of Lake Powell. I wanted a photo that would include my wife and kids somewhere in the pic. If you look closely you can see them. The final print hangs in my bedroom and it is a 12x3 (or somewhere in that area) canvas print.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
11-04-2021, 06:45 AM   #17542
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This image was taken with the 645z and 90 2.8. It is a 6 or 7 shot pano of Lake Powell. I wanted a photo that would include my wife and kids somewhere in the pic. If you look closely you can see them. The final print hangs in my bedroom and it is a 12x3 (or somewhere in that area) canvas print.
Very nice. I love these large canvas prints. To me it always looks like a window with a view instead of wall decoration.

11-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #17543
Forum Member

Very nice. I love these large canvas prints. To me it always looks like a window with a view instead of wall decoration.
thank you.. yes I agree.. We hung it over our bed..

---------- Post added 11-04-21 at 06:53 AM ----------

This pano compilation surprised me with the incredible detail captured by the 80-160 lens. The image just did not come together in color and I switched to b&w, which did a better job to show the gentle slopes meeting with an apparent chaos in the contours and textures caused by weathering and erosion.

This valley shows signs of flood waters flowing in different directions even some run-off onto the far right which is a much larger dry river flowing directly into the sea. The coastal region is part of the skeleton coast in Namibia.

What caught my eye when we drove through this area was the stark difference between the inland rock formations and the softer contours of the dunes. The rock varies between a solid dark black color and a distinct rusty red (iron). What stands out is that the the rock formations all seem broken into pieces. Like you could imagine a child taking a hammer to his toys. My initial impression was that the mountainous areas look as if God was angry when he created the Namib desert. :-)

Next time I'm in Namibia I want to take a day or two to take pictures of the rock formations, in particular the transitions between different types of landscapes.

Even though I am impressed by the details and the performance of the 645z, I am less happy with the composition. It does not really communicate the impression that I experienced while looking out over this area. Perhaps I can do a mulligan of this or similar areas one day and try to capture the story better.

Still fun and good to know that even though my kit is getting old and not cutting edge anymore, it still out-performs my abilities to use it.

645z + FA 80-160. Handheld panels. I made a few crop cut-outs to show the detail even in far off areas.

-
love this pano... it is amazing how much detail one can capture in these panos

Last edited by MFullana; 11-04-2021 at 07:20 AM.
11-04-2021, 10:27 AM - 4 Likes   #17544
Site Supporter

Pentax 645N | SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm ƒ4 Macro | Fomapan 200 | Kodak HC-110 "H" | CS F96
Lots of blown highlights, and thats fine.

City Frame-195
by Eric Auer, on Flickr

Last edited by Eric Auer; 11-05-2021 at 05:16 PM.
11-04-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #17545
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
Pentax 645N | SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm ƒ4 Macro | Fomapan 200 | CS ECN2 | Kodak HC-110 "H" | CS F96
Lots of blown highlights, and thats fine.

City Frame-195
by Eric Auer, on Flickr
not seeing too many blown highlights on my calibrated monitor.. great image by the way
11-04-2021, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #17546
Site Supporter

not seeing too many blown highlights on my calibrated monitor.. great image by the way
Thanks, but they are there, blank white spots (Not that unusual for this film, it's...affordable).
You have to dig in a bit tho, and I did fix some in post. Yes I do post on film .

Could be the scanner too, but I have limited choices these days for scanning MF and not going to invest in more digital gear just for that.
It's good enough for the web. Which, of course, is not great haha.
11-04-2021, 05:30 PM - 4 Likes   #17547
Pentaxian

Final blasts of the sun at Porthcawl a few days ago

GFX100s GF 32 -64

11-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #17548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Final blasts of the sun at Porthcawl a few days ago

GFX100s GF 32 -64

Great view to enjoy with a sundowner. Thanks for sharing.
11-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #17549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great picture Ed, although I must say I don't think that camera can use that lens to its full capability. It failed to resolve the individual treads and risers on the staircase going up from the waterfront. And you can't see the color of the paint on the underside of the handrail either.

Just joking of course...

I realised just now that I never replied to this note. Very droll, sir :-)

So far, I am still working out how to get the best out of the combo of GFX100S and Pentax lenses. The resolution is stunning at best, but I am having issues with edge/corner resolution, apparent focus inconsistencies across the scene (perhaps as a result of the adaptor not holding the lens quite parallel with the sensor?), working out the best RAW converter, etc.. It's a camera that does deliver great results and the 28-45 lens is amazing too. But getting it all to play nicely together isn't child's play!
11-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #17550
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I realised just now that I never replied to this note. Very droll, sir :-)

So far, I am still working out how to get the best out of the combo of GFX100S and Pentax lenses. The resolution is stunning at best, but I am having issues with edge/corner resolution, apparent focus inconsistencies across the scene (perhaps as a result of the adaptor not holding the lens quite parallel with the sensor?), working out the best RAW converter, etc.. It's a camera that does deliver great results and the 28-45 lens is amazing too. But getting it all to play nicely together isn't child's play!
Thank you Ed, I'm keenly following your experience and conclusions with the Fuji camera with Pentax lenses.

Much appreciated and great thanks to you and all the others that provide so much inspiration with the pictures. Too many to name at risk of missing a name.