Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 10:56 PM - 3 Likes   #17626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Edit of a picture I previously parked in the hold/trash folder from our trip to Namibia in 2019.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by TDvN57; 11-24-2021 at 03:02 AM.
11-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #17627
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Love the ancient compass. Great detail and tonality.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Thanks a lot.
11-23-2021, 06:26 PM - 4 Likes   #17628
Pentaxian

We went to a light display event at Margam Castle, close to home. It was fine but apparently a poor reflection of what it was like 2 years ago. I took my small cameras with me plus the Fuji and the diminutive (for MFormat) 50 f/3.5. No tripod, so all slow shutter and handheld...

GFX100s GF 50 f/3.5

11-24-2021, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #17629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Batiscan riverbanks starting to ice over with 3 nights at -10 deg C. DFA 55 mm f/2.8

11-24-2021, 09:12 PM - 7 Likes   #17630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Three contributions. The Louisville skyline from the Indiana side of the river. The new I-65 (Lincoln Memorial bridge) & the Big Four bridge, a former railroad bridge repurposed for pedestrian usage. Fuji GFX50Sii
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GFX50S II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GFX50S II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GFX50S II  Photo 
11-25-2021, 10:51 PM - 5 Likes   #17631
Pentaxian

645D and A 35/3.5 tonight

Last edited by mattb123; 11-26-2021 at 08:03 AM.
11-26-2021, 12:54 AM - 3 Likes   #17632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was having lunch on the patio and tried to get minimalistic pics of the remaining frangipani flowers.

I tried minimalistic before and I find it is really difficult, to me at least. For me its like 'how do I make nothing interesting?' Hmmm nice blue, oh, look over there is a tiny flower...

But I'll keep trying, maybe one day.

EDIT: I added some cropped enlargement views of the flowers close-up. Just to satisfy the pixel bug in me.

645z + FA* 300mm + TC1.4

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by TDvN57; 11-26-2021 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Added camera & lens used
11-26-2021, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #17633
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
645D and A 35/3.5 tonight
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mM4kep]
Great image! Your work is immediately recognizable, and I cannot say exactly why, but the minute one of your posts pops up on screen I recognize it as yours. Of course, you could confuse the issue if you begin working at night and including star trails like some of the better Australian photographers.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 05:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Was having lunch on the patio and tried to get minimalistic pics of the remaining frangipani flowers.

I tried minimalistic before and I find it is really difficult, to me at least. For me its like 'how do I make nothing interesting?' Hmmm nice blue, oh, look over here there is a tiny flower...

But I'll keep trying, maybe one day.

EDIT: I added some cropped enlargement views of the flowers close-up. Just to satisfy the pixel bug in me.
Nice series with interesting framing motif. Great use of negative space.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 06:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Some re-edits from our trip to north Finland in 2016:

#1 looks like a possible XMas card.

#2 This is one of the reasons I want to go back to Northern Norway instead of Finland. In retrospect what I've discovered since that trip is that you should make a shortlist of ideal landscape scenery and then select the ideal aurora conditions from amongst these shortlist of landscapes. Next time I would rather take two shots and blend to get the best of the landscape and the colorful sky.

#3 And this is Santa's Cabin

-
I understand that calling someone's work ideal for a Christmas card may be considered sort of a mild insult, but I do not mean it that way in praising that first image of yours. Great shot, especially the way the light highlights the center of the image.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 06:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Grand Canyon Shales eroded by the Colorado River

Eastern Sierra Nevada : old Granite and recent Volcanic Rock

Yosemite : Granite ground by glaciers

Arches Nat'l Park : Sandstone eroded by wind and water

Catalina Mountains : Granite eroded by freeze/thaw cycles

Monument Valley : Sandstone eroded by wind

Arches made of sandstone

Delicate Arch, Utah

Shales originating from underwater deposition of clays over eons

Sandstone in Valley of Fire

PercÚ Rock, Quebec, remnant of the Atlas Mountain Range in Morocco

Chiricahua Hoodoos made of sandstone

Rocky Mountains: Granite scoured by glaciers

Chiricahua Hoodoos close-up

Sierra Nevada Range made of Granite

Joshua Tree Nat'l Park calcium concretions

Recent Volcanic Rock, Grants, N.M.

Imagine all the mileage I'll have to do to re-photograph these scenes in Medium Format (SIGH) ...
Great use of quasi-medium format approach. Great work even without that ubiquitous bright blue river running through them.
11-26-2021, 04:05 AM   #17634
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Great image! Your work is immediately recognizable, and I cannot say exactly why, but the minute one of your posts pops up on screen I recognize it as yours. Of course, you could confuse the issue if you begin working at night and including star trails like some of the better Australian photographers.

Nice series with interesting framing motif. Great use of negative space.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 06:01 AM ----------

I understand that calling someone's work ideal for a Christmas card may be considered sort of a mild insult, but I do not mean it that way in praising that first image of yours. Great shot, especially the way the light highlights the center of the image.
Thanks.

You are right the various styles from each are very identifiable.
11-26-2021, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #17635
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
A similar picture to one I posted here a few weeks ago. The new Barangaroo development in Sydney, this time seen from Balmain...

GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ approx. 35mm with Fotodiox adaptor
[/url][/IMG]
Love the star trails. I find your work great and immediately recognizable, though I am sure you could confuse the issue by going to Colorado and doing some creek and mountain scenes.
11-26-2021, 06:44 AM   #17636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great use of quasi-medium format approach. Great work even without that ubiquitous bright blue river running through them.
Thank you for your kindness and your great garden arrangements, Ivan. Everyone appreciates having you around on this thread. Your lens collection is awesome and your love of plants is remarkable.

Receive my Best Regards

P.S.The "blue river" is my benchmark for testing lenses, in reality. Driving there is a joy every time as I know the site is very beautiful in almost any weather conditions. I went just this Wednesday and the "roar" of the water flow was a beauty in itself. I felt alive and well as before I had to go through this "gall bladder infection" ordeal. If a lens performs well here, it will perform on any scene, anywhere.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 11-26-2021 at 06:50 AM.
11-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #17637
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Thank you for your kindness and your great garden arrangements, Ivan. Everyone appreciates having you around on this thread. Your lens collection is awesome and your love of plants is remarkable.

Receive my Best Regards

P.S.The "blue river" is my benchmark for testing lenses, in reality. Driving there is a joy every time as I know the site is very beautiful in almost any weather conditions. I went just this Wednesday and the "roar" of the water flow was a beauty in itself. I felt alive and well as before I had to go through this "gall bladder infection" ordeal. If a lens performs well here, it will perform on any scene, anywhere.
Thank you for your kind comments Richard. C'est vrai, I have an extensive Pentax medium format lens collection. I believe I have the FA, D FA, or LS version of all the 645 lenses except the 25mm, the FA 300 f 5.6, and the A*600. I passed on the 300/5.6 in favor of the FA* 300 f 4.0, and the A*600mm just because I never use anything that long. Same with the D FA 25; leaving cost aside, I just seldom use anything that wide, and the FA 35mm works very well. Oops, I am also missing the 28-45mm zoom because of cost and because I have that its zoom range almost covered by all the other zooms. I also have the A versions of 6 or 7 of these lenses.

As for the P67 lenses, I have everything except the 35mm fisheye and the long lenses beyond 400mm, some of which are too expensive for me to collect when I never use them. I don't mind missing out on the P67 fisheye because I do have the Arsat 30mm f 3.5, quite a credible lens for its low cost. I don't mind paying up to maybe $2,000 for a collector lens, but anything around or above that level I don't bother with. I do not pay big dollars to get mint condition lens, though most of mine are excellent or near mint. The only exceptions are my P67 75mm f 2.8 which has a small nick on the filter threads and my P67 135mm macro, which has a big nick on one section of the lens.

Now if I could take off a year or so to travel around the globe and take instruction from some of the excellent medium format photographers on this thread I might be able to use this collection to good advantage. As it is, I now must wait until next year's gardening season, but maybe shoot a few snow photos and other miscellany and maybe every week or so capture an image that will not be embarassing to post here. You have the river, but I have a creek right here on my place, so maybe I can sneak in a few "streaming" images as well.
11-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #17638
Pentaxian

Thanks for the kind words, Ivan! I'm not sure why either. I just like to try and make a composition around what the best parts of the scene are.
I do some astrophotography (and star trails) but with the smaller sensor cameras. The 645D doesn't do well at higher ISOs. Maybe if I get a Z one day...
11-26-2021, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #17639
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Ivan! I'm not sure why either. I just like to try and make a composition around what the best parts of the scene are.
I do some astrophotography (and star trails) but with the smaller sensor cameras. The 645D doesn't do well at higher ISOs. Maybe if I get a Z one day...
Maybe it is subject matter and framing. Anyway, keep up the good work!
11-26-2021, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #17640
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The day after Thanksgiving . . .

Cold and blustery weather right outside my front door . . . and the SMC Pentax-FA 120mm f 4.0 macro does not disappoint.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo