Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2022, 01:41 AM - 4 Likes   #18871
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Busy doing the decorations in the new house and re-vamped a sunrise from Finland, December 2016. While doing the test prints I decided to put the printer through its paces and did a micro print at 2880 dpi (printer's max) and I was pleasantly surprised at the finest details you can see with a magnifying glass. Opens a whole new genre of micro printing for me.

Pic #1: The "micro" test print, about 12" x 4" @ 2880dpi

Pic #2: The Printer working - print on archival canvas

Pic #3: The jpeg version - 645z + DFA 55mm pano stitch of +/- 3 pics, as I remember

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo   
10-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #18872
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Busy doing the decorations in the new house and re-vamped a sunrise from Finland, December 2016. While doing the test prints I decided to put the printer through its paces and did a micro print at 2880 dpi (printer's max) and I was pleasantly surprised at the finest details you can see with a magnifying glass. Opens a whole new genre of micro printing for me.

Pic #1: The "micro" test print, about 12" x 4" @ 2880dpi

Pic #2: The Printer working - print on archival canvas

Pic #3: The jpeg version - 645z + DFA 55mm pano stitch of +/- 3 pics, as I remember
Very nice. I'm curious about your printer:
What model is it?
How much have you printed with it/how often do you print?
10-11-2022, 10:02 AM - 4 Likes   #18873
Pentaxian

A couple from 1100 metres up a mountain in Pyongchang. It was 2 degrees up there brrrrr!

GFX100s GF 20 - 35, both 8 mins

f/16 ISO 100 and exposure recovered

f/9 ISO 200

10-11-2022, 11:47 AM - 3 Likes   #18874
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Very nice. I'm curious about your printer:
What model is it?
How much have you printed with it/how often do you print?
This is the Epson P9000 with max "paper" width of 44" rolls. Is basically the same printer as the P7000 which is just 24" instead. Prints fantastic and very low maintenance.

So far I've printed +/-400+ prints of varying sizes. Smallest would be about 600mm x 400mm and largest about 3000mm x 1000mm. The initial batch was guest room art for a hotel in Asia. The rest would be for our house and occasionally for friends.

Ink is expensive since it takes 11 cartridges. As I remember you can select between small 250mm, medium 500mm or large 750mm cartridges. I am now on my second ink set (750mm) and by mid next year I'll have to start buying ink again.

When I bought my ink set it was about $2k, now I see on B&H a full set goes for $4k. Luckily you can buy cartridges individually as you need it.

My favorite "paper" is Cezanne canvas from Hahnemühle. It is archival quality and is very durable. They have a large range of papers as well.

The biggest risk with these types of printers are clogged nozzles. Canon seems to be the biggest culprit. When I bought mine I found a guy on YouTube that suggested a configuration where the printer wakes up from sleep every 48 hours to run a quick circulation of ink then goes back to sleep. Never had a clogged nozzle that a simple auto head clean run could not clear.

This year i shipped it from Hong Kong to Berlin in the container with our furniture. I released the ink cartridges and they packed it into a custom made crate. After six months I started it last week and no clogged nozzles, the head was still aligned, no hassles whatsoever.

Any other questions? Will gladly respond.

10-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #18875
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the Epson P9000 with max "paper" width of 44" rolls. Is basically the same printer as the P7000 which is just 24" instead. Prints fantastic and very low maintenance.

So far I've printed +/-400+ prints of varying sizes. Smallest would be about 600mm x 400mm and largest about 3000mm x 1000mm. The initial batch was guest room art for a hotel in Asia. The rest would be for our house and occasionally for friends.

Ink is expensive since it takes 11 cartridges. As I remember you can select between small 250mm, medium 500mm or large 750mm cartridges. I am now on my second ink set (750mm) and by mid next year I'll have to start buying ink again.

When I bought my ink set it was about $2k, now I see on B&H a full set goes for $4k. Luckily you can buy cartridges individually as you need it.

My favorite "paper" is Cezanne canvas from Hahnemühle. It is archival quality and is very durable. They have a large range of papers as well.

The biggest risk with these types of printers are clogged nozzles. Canon seems to be the biggest culprit. When I bought mine I found a guy on YouTube that suggested a configuration where the printer wakes up from sleep every 48 hours to run a quick circulation of ink then goes back to sleep. Never had a clogged nozzle that a simple auto head clean run could not clear.

This year i shipped it from Hong Kong to Berlin in the container with our furniture. I released the ink cartridges and they packed it into a custom made crate. After six months I started it last week and no clogged nozzles, the head was still aligned, no hassles whatsoever.

Fantastic. I have an Epson 9000 series(?), 44"---had it for years. And I have never cranked it up. I was told about the clogged head issues, and my unit from about 8-10 years ago (?) had the whole wasteful ink fire up process, but also didn't have the newer models' better clogging characteristics. I was told explicitly by my dealer not to use it until I was ready to use it almost constantly. My ink sets are the older ones, so not as expensive. So, I'd love to know more about that video you reference.

My other issue was not having off-gassing racks and better storage options, but the latter problem is solved---I have the flat files now*. I'm getting to the point where I want to print some things for some specific art projects---ones that don't require the highest precision because they'll be fodder for painted pieces and monotypes. These will allow me to dial in the printing process more acutely for pure photographic works I want to do.

Maybe as time allows I can do some PM's with you on this. And actually, your experience here (and others) would probably make an excellent ongoing thread here at PF.

* The biggest practical problem with art is storage----it's a hassle for artists, and for the museums with the deepest pockets as well.....I work in one, and so does my wife, so I can attest.
10-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #18876
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few more pictures in B&W. 645z + A* 600mm, except #2 & #3 was taken with KP.

These pictures of a pride of lions led by two large males, brothers that made a pact to share leadership. The lions in the Kalahari are said to be larger than the lions in the Kruger Park, and they have a formidable presence of power.

#1: @Richard here is another Lion posing for the dentist, but this time we can look down into the gullet.

#2: This one looked better with combo of color and b&w background. (taken with KP). You can see the strength of these lions as they play around with each other with the same agility as house cats.

#3: A rare view of a lion imitating stalking a prey. (taken with KP)

#4 - #7: these pictures illustrate the wide spectrum of the life of a lion, from the juvenile being wary of the big male lions to a tight family and drinking water under the protection of the males.

I have a few more lion pictures but selected the ones I regard as best representing this pride of lions.

Comments and critique welcome.
What a wonderful series of the Lions, the lighting adds drama to the subject and the range of action to calm photos shows their daily life so well. Looks like you had a wonderful time on safari.
10-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #18877
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
A couple from 1100 metres up a mountain in Pyongchang. It was 2 degrees up there brrrrr!

GFX100s GF 20 - 35, both 8 mins

f/16 ISO 100 and exposure recovered

f/9 ISO 200

How do you like the 20-35? I've considered it, but my 23 would have to go. You also can't beat the starbursts from those lenses.

10-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #18878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
What a wonderful series of the Lions, the lighting adds drama to the subject and the range of action to calm photos shows their daily life so well. Looks like you had a wonderful time on safari.
Thank you Gary, yes we had a fantastic trip. Hope to go again next year.

Last edited by TDvN57; 10-18-2022 at 03:05 AM.
10-13-2022, 02:53 AM   #18879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
How do you like the 20-35? I've considered it, but my 23 would have to go. You also can't beat the starbursts from those lenses.
My 23 wasn't a strong copy if I'm honest. I really like the 20 - 35. It's plenty sharp, and not too heavy. It's still a very medium format lens - a little bulky, but it's a very good lens. It was a type of lens that I have been waiting for since I first started shooting the 645D. It's 8mm wider the the 28 - 45. I like that I now have a continuous line from 20 - 70mm. The 35 - 70 is an amazing lens for the price. Ok, it's not 'fast', but it's sharp light and compact.
10-13-2022, 05:36 AM - 12 Likes   #18880
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few images of Melbourne taken from an hotel during a recent work trip.

GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 28mm
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And now with Pentax 67 55-100mm lens @ approx. 100mm
[IMG][/IMG]
10-13-2022, 10:45 AM - 5 Likes   #18881
Pentaxian

A few from today from the Kings Tombs in Gangnam...

GFX100s GF 20 - 35 The stone animals and soldiers are said to protect the spirit of the King buried in the tomb

Looking down Teheran-Ro in the Samseong part of Gangnam - 1.1s handheld...

10-14-2022, 05:11 AM - 5 Likes   #18882
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cat in the Window - 645z + P67 55-100mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
10-14-2022, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #18883
Pentaxian

Hi,

Ah!

#1 is: Bird TV

#2 is: I'm tired of Bird TV

Ha! That's a cat, all right.

Stan
10-15-2022, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #18884
Pentaxian

It's great that you are making prints out of your camera equipment. Print making is a noble thing, the last stage of the photo-graphic process, and it represents the blurred line that separates the small community of artists using cameras with large sensors, and the rest of people realizing more and more than they only need a smartphone for taking photos for posting on social media.
10-15-2022, 09:52 AM - 6 Likes   #18885
Pentaxian

Some from a wander on Daedonsan Mountain near the small town of Geumsan in Korea.

We cheated and used the cable car to get half way up the mountain. Koreans love putting steps up mountains. The big red staircase, called Sanseon was actually one of the easiest...

GFX100 s gf 35 - 70

GF100 - 200. If you look carefully you can see a roped rock climber...

This is Samseon ladder. Looked much worse than it was,,,

GF35 - 70