Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35476 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #2206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I was working at a music event in Dalhalla, close to the pretty town of Rattvik in central sweden when I passed this old Volvo and it felt like a natural conversion to black and white. I have adjusted the colour levels in Lightroom 3. Shot with FA33 - 55 at f/16
Nice result - with the Volvo Amazon in the yard, the only thing that keeps it from looking like a 1960's shot are the satellite dishes

07-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #2207
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I am debating right now on what I will take to my trip to the Rockies:
1) Chamonix is coming
2) Hassy or Canon P or Autocord as a fast shooting, light gear/long hike second?
Speaking of Autocord, here's something playing around with the lens resolution... Kodak 160NC

the square

the rectangle

'as scanned' size rectangle - very large, but check out the front door & blinds
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6028/5957734384_c24abcb861_o.jpg
07-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #2208

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
If you remember which developer, stand, time and agitation was used for the above shot?

Which tripod was used here:
the cable release was necessary for reduce the vibrations?

Last edited by alexfoto; 07-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
07-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #2209
Pentaxian

A high ISO shot often necessary at a music gig. This was shot at 160mm on an A 80 - 160 @ f/4.5. I adjusted the noise levels in LR3, and I like the colours in this one. I tried a crop leaving out the sponsor's car but it left the shot feeling unbalanced. Really impressed with how the 645D has handled the difficult lighting here with AWB
Had another look and found a way of cropping out the car:

Attached Images

07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #2210
Pentaxian

Had another look and found a way of cropping out the car:
As dark as the background is, I really didn't even notice the car. More importantly, maybe, is to spot heal those reflecting lights on her dress that look like sensor dust when scaled down.
07-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #2211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
As dark as the background is, I really didn't even notice the car. More importantly, maybe, is to spot heal those reflecting lights on her dress that look like sensor dust when scaled down.
Thanks for that - done:
Attached Images

07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #2212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buongiorno alex,

I have tried to match up your comments with my shots. Please let me know if I have got it wrong somewhere. And thank you for the questions/comments

QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
If you remember which developer, stand, time and agitation was used for the above shot?
Pentax 67, 6x7 55/4, Ilford FP4+

I'm pretty sure I used Ilford ID-11 mixed at 1+1. I'll check my notes and get back to you with the exact details.

If you mean this shot, no it was handheld. There was plenty of light and the film was Tri-X 400 so handholding was easy in this case.

cheers,
Jason

07-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #2213

I'm pretty sure I used Ilford ID-11 mixed at 1+1. I'll check my notes and get back to you with the exact details.
Thanks.

If you mean this shot, no it was handheld.
No no on that case i speak about Tuco shoot.

Buongiorno alex,
I have tried to match up your comments with my shots.
Unfortunately my ADSL is bad so I had several problems to post.
First i tried to put the shoot, but on quote don't work, then i tried to put the link, but stalled,several time.
07-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #2214
Pentaxian

Which tripod was used here:

Thanks.

No no on that case i speak about Tuco shoot.
The shot of me on the mountain? That is a Alta 234AB compact aluminum tripod with a Manfrotto 804RC2 pan head. I've since replaced it with a Alta 284CT carbon compact tripod using the same head.

I use a pan head because it works better for me with my style and my split screen grid matte than a ball head. I first setup and level the tripod, study and finalize the composition and then often have to pan/tilt it somewhere else to get the split screen on something better for focus. I can then return to my intended composition without re-leveling it again like you would with a ball head.

Yes, the cable release is so I don't touch the camera. You can see that the tripod is on the rocks in a precarious position. And the shutter release on the Hasseblad is a push in a horizontal direction which on a light, compact tripod is not the same as pushing down. With mirror lockup on a Hasselblad, you only have the leaf shutter moving so it doesn't take much to support the camera for a steady shot.

Last edited by tuco; 07-21-2011 at 12:40 AM.
07-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #2215
Pentaxian

Another one from Rattvik

went for a stroll down the pier, pity I wasn't there at night with a tripod as I can see it would be a nice viewpoint with the lights. Shot with FA 33-55 at 39mm @f/16 1/100 645D
Attached Images

07-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #2216

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The shot of me on the mountain? That is a Alta 234AB compact aluminum tripod with a Manfrotto 804RC2 pan head. I've since replaced it with a Alta 284CT carbon compact tripod using the same head.
I use a pan head because it works better for me with my style and my split screen grid matte than a ball head. I first setup and level the tripod, study and finalize the composition and then often have to pan/tilt it somewhere else to get the split screen on something better for focus. I can then return to my intended composition without re-leveling it again like you would with a ball head.
Thanks for the explanation.
Could i ask two other related questions?
On the mountain you have used only two legs (extended) and that increase the stability.
With your previous tripod and with your new light tripod, do you never use the max extended heigh (but without the center column)?
And about the head, if you don't need to change the horizont, don't you can doing the same thing even with a ballhead with a pan on its base?
So you move only the base while the horizont remain untouched?
Or i missing somethings?
07-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #2217
Pentaxian

Thanks for the explanation.
Could i ask two other related questions?
On the mountain you have used only two legs (extended) and that increase the stability.
With your previous tripod and with your new light tripod, do you never use the max extended heigh (but without the center column)?
And about the head, if you don't need to change the horizont, don't you can doing the same thing even with a ballhead with a pan on its base?
So you move only the base while the horizont remain untouched?
Or i missing somethings?
The weight difference between a carbon and aluminum tripod of this size is not much at all - almost insignificant, IMHO. I got the carbon because I broke the aluminum one. The carbon version had a larger, stronger leg locking ratchet system but it's still not ideal (hence a relatively inexpensive tripod) and it has larger diameter legs.

I rarely - if ever - have extend that tripod to standing eye-level height because I use a waist level finder. This is my backpacking and street walking tripod. For bigger lenses and extending to standing height (especially with the Pentax 6x7) I use a larger tripod. But I would take my compact carbon tripod to standing height with my Hasselblad in a pinch ( I'm not that tall, BTW, so that helps).

The configuration of the tripod legs in that mountain picture is purely a function of where I could put it and the distance I wanted to be. The mountain edge was only a few feet away. It had nothing to do with setting it up for ideal stability.

Like I said, with a split focus matte, rarely is it only a pure horizontal movement to find a good focusing object after I have finalized the composition. An up/down tilt is almost always inevitable.
07-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #2218
Pentaxian

After the Swedish scene, Here is a very British one

Fish and chips on the South Bank of the Thames: (shot with FA 33- 55 @ f/11 ISO 200)
Attached Images

Last edited by itshimitis; 07-21-2011 at 05:15 PM.
07-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #2219
Pentaxian

Another very British scene....

...but much less welcome! Both shot with A 80 - 160 @f/8 and f/6.7 respectively and ISO of 640
Attached Images

Last edited by itshimitis; 07-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.
07-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #2220
Inactive Account

Itshimitis, I really like your compositions, but the images are all very dark and dull. Like if they were underexposed at least two stops! How about cranking things up a bit? I think they would look very, very much better with proper post processing and higher exposure.

Edit: I can show you if you don't know how to do it. Just shout in that case.