Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #2341
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
90, 105 and 55 mm respectively on the 67II. The film was HP5+ developed in Rodinal 1:40.
I am all for the first one and you get some nice result from HP5 in Rodinal. How is the grain on a bigger size?

Cheers,

Luc

08-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #2342
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Foggy morning on the sand dunes by Dunes City, Oregon
Fuji 100 Acros, Rodinal 1+ 100 Stand, Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Nice shot. It is difficult to have a good shot with a white sky. This one works perfectly and good thinking to use stand to get the silvery look on the trees. I will keep that to the back of my mind for future reference.


Cheers,

Luc
08-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #2343
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I am all for the first one and you get some nice result from HP5 in Rodinal. How is the grain on a bigger size?
Both HP5+ and Rodinal gives more grain than many other films and developers, so the combination isn't for those who want smooth images. But it looks very nice and organic. What I really don't like is the very flat tonality of the negatives, which makes the PP very brutal to get what I want. This was my last roll of HP5+ out of ~10 that I got when I bought my first MF camera, and I'll stick to Tmax and Neopan when my stock of various debis in the freezer is gone. I have had way too many different films to really get to know them, but I like high contrast, so Tmax pushed a bit seems fine.
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #2344
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 267
That's right, Makten, the HP5 is indeed flat and quite grainy. I tried one roll, never touched it again.
I experience the same flatness in tonality with the Delta Pro 3200 - I really like this film and its sharpness but when it comes to scanning it - no fun.


Btw, the first shot of your series is gorgeous. I like the other ones, too, esp. their compositions. But this is one is...dunno...just great!

08-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #2345
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Nice shot. It is difficult to have a good shot with a white sky. This one works perfectly and good thinking to use stand to get the silvery look on the trees. I will keep that to the back of my mind for future reference.

Cheers,

Luc
Thanks. I was trying for a high-keyish looking shot given the situation. I only used Rodinal because I was developing two different rolls at the same time. I ran out of TMX and had to pull out a roll of 100ACR. When going off for a weekend shooting many rolls, I think it is a good idea to limit the types of film you shoot. It, at least, makes for developing the batch quicker when you get back when you can load up a double tank with the same film and crank them out.

Last edited by tuco; 08-04-2011 at 07:43 AM.
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #2346
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
That's right, Makten, the HP5 is indeed flat and quite grainy. I tried one roll, never touched it again.
I experience the same flatness in tonality with the Delta Pro 3200 - I really like this film and its sharpness but when it comes to scanning it - no fun.
I'd probably love HP5+ if I was into the "classic" look with old Tri-X and that sort of stuff. But I'm not.

QuoteQuote:
Btw, the first shot of your series is gorgeous. I like the other ones, too, esp. their compositions. But this is one is...dunno...just great!
Thanks! It was a PITA to shoot. I leaned onto the very oily and dirty forklift that the rope lied on and ruined my shirt. Handholding FTW!

Now, here are three shots from my new Voigtländer Bessa III. An amazing rangefinder, folding camera that is small enough to carry with you everywhere.










08-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #2347
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
I'd probably love HP5+ if I was into the "classic" look with old Tri-X and that sort of stuff. But I'm not.
...

Now, here are three shots from my new Voigtländer Bessa III. An amazing rangefinder, folding camera that is small enough to carry with you everywhere.
Really good results from that new gear. It looks like it will serve you well. They even have that "classic" look.
08-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #2348
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Really good results from that new gear. It looks like it will serve you well. They even have that "classic" look.
Maybe so. The Heliar lens of the Bessa is a bit "smoother" (classic rendering?) than the P67 lenses. Which of course is both a good and a bad thing. The camera is really a joy to use, but with some flaws of course. The viewfinder is bright and large, while the shutter release button isn't what I want it to be. It's very much like the old Fujica rangefinder i had before the P67II. You have no idea of when the shutter will open from halfpress and down. So you'll have to take it slow and squeeeeeze it gently, at least at slower speeds.

I'm not gonna use this camera for a lot of wide open shooting, but I'll show some of that tomorrow.

08-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #2349
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
Maybe so. The Heliar lens of the Bessa is a bit "smoother" (classic rendering?) than the P67 lenses. Which of course is both a good and a bad thing. The camera is really a joy to use, but with some flaws of course. The viewfinder is bright and large, while the shutter release button isn't what I want it to be. It's very much like the old Fujica rangefinder i had before the P67II. You have no idea of when the shutter will open from halfpress and down. So you'll have to take it slow and squeeeeeze it gently, at least at slower speeds.

I'm not gonna use this camera for a lot of wide open shooting, but I'll show some of that tomorrow.
So with that rail/bellows on the lens, do you have built-in macro capabilities (extending past the focal length) as it looks like in that unfortunate bird shot?

Last edited by tuco; 08-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.
08-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #2350
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,581
My first attempt at a long exposure with the 645D. FA 33-55 @ 33mm and f/13 exposure 64 secs with Kenco ND400 will have another go possibly at a early morning shoot close to my Lake District house, close to Windermere in the north of england.
Attached Images
 
08-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #2351
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So with that rail/bellows on the lens, do you have built-in macro capabilities (extending past the focal length) as it looks like in that unfortunate bird shot?
No no, the camera is a classical rangefinder. MFD is 0.9 meters, and the bird shot is thereabout (probably a young seagull, which is quite large). The bellows is only for making the camera as compact as possible when not in use...


08-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #2352
Veteran Member
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
With tuco getting the Mamiya 7II and Makten getting a Bessa III, I have serious small MF camera envy!
There are certainly times when I would appreciate having a compact camera capable of using 120 film - with a good lens too.

Anyway, nice shots Martin - both Bessa III and 67II.

itshimitis - I like the effect of the sky and the smoothed water. Looks like that spot has some good potential.

Tuco - Dunes City? I had assumed that was the colloquial name given to the dunes area where you took the shot - not the actual town/settlement
08-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #2353
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 573
I just like the light. 645D
Attached Images
 
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #2354
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
A couple of shots with the family. Harsh summer light at 11:00 and deeper shadows in the woods.

Autocord - TriX@1250 in Diafine






Ps: Does anybody know how to get back the old IMGWIDE instead of the FANCYBOX improvement?

Cheers,

Luc
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #2355
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
I'd probably love HP5+ if I was into the "classic" look with old Tri-X and that sort of stuff. But I'm not.



Thanks! It was a PITA to shoot. I leaned onto the very oily and dirty forklift that the rope lied on and ruined my shirt. Handholding FTW!

Now, here are three shots from my new Voigtländer Bessa III. An amazing rangefinder, folding camera that is small enough to carry with you everywhere.











Close range looks well taken care-off. Have you tried it on landscapes?

Cheers,

Luc
Reply
« 35mm HD | - »

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, cameras, cheapo, drive, efex, film, flickr, format, frame, fujifilm, holes, lens, lomo, medium, medium format, p67ii, pentax 67, portra, post, road, roll, scanner, shot, shots, silver, software, strait, takumar 90mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Medium Format straightshooter Pentax Medium Format 3 08-24-2010 07:10 AM
Medium format... D4rknezz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 04-06-2010 03:59 PM
Medium Format Soon? k100d Pentax News and Rumors 0 03-04-2009 12:09 PM
Medium Format Buffy Pentax Medium Format 5 03-19-2008 12:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top