Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #2656
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Tuco, just a gentle reminder that you were going to show me a sample 1/30th flash shot from the 67. One with blur.
cheers!
Okay, here it is. This shot is about 20 years old. I'm surprised I remembered it but I can think of two reasons for remembering it. It must have been the 105mm. I remember using a couple of flashes I had along on this houseboat trip and it was handhold. The other shots taken at the same time did not have that fuzz around them so I must have moved the camera.

Anyway, look black trace around some of the arms, shoulder and hair. You'll see what I call that gaussian burr effect from ambient light recording a bit of movement, I believe.








Last edited by tuco; 09-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.
09-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #2657
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by timppis Quote
Pentax 645D + 35mm
Nice composition on the third one from top.

cheers,

luc
09-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #2658
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It's getting better.
Certainly! I exposed this second roll with the built-in meter of the Bessa, just as before, but this time I held the temperature of the water bath at 39.5°C instead of 38°C. Agitation every 15 second probably cools off the tank quite a bit, so that's why it got better results with this method.

QuoteOriginally posted by cnphoto Quote
picked up a Pentax 6x7 w/ 105mm. enjoying the 6x7 aspect ratio and the new Porta 400.
Great shot! Lovely mood and nice composition.

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
First one Preston station in Lancashire f/6.7 ISO 500, 1/1600 (my train was coming in otherwise would have reduced the ISO
Nice composition and a very good use of the cameras latitude. It looks very natural but still contrasty.

QuoteOriginally posted by timppis Quote
Pentax 645D + 35mm
Some really good stuff there!

--------------------------------------------

More Provia 400X and Voigtländer Bessa III from me...






09-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #2659
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 16
I like the "Use care to avoid" on the rail, Tuco! LOL

09-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #2660
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,953
Tucu, that 1/30s flash shot looks great to my eye. Seem like you'd need to enlarge a fair bit before noticing any blur. Awesome pants

Martin, great job with the self developed Provia.

I went to Crater Lake (again) last week and brought my 67 as well as my mom's 645N.
This is from the 67, 645N shots forthcoming.


Pentax 67, S-M-C Takumar 6X7 90/2.8 LS, FujiPro 160S
09-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #2661
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Scio, OR
Posts: 106
Nice shot, Colton. This must look South, Mc Laughlin on the right, and Shasta in the far distance. Its been a long time since I've been to Crater Lake. I need to go again.

Gary
09-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #2662
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,953
QuoteOriginally posted by gary2881 Quote
Nice shot, Colton. This must look South, Mc Laughlin on the right, and Shasta in the far distance. Its been a long time since I've been to Crater Lake. I need to go again.

Gary
Thanks Gary,
This looking north towards Mt. Thielsen.
Thielsen is the real pointy one in the upper right.
09-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #2663
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Scio, OR
Posts: 106
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks Gary,
This looking north towards Mt. Thielsen.
Thielsen is the real pointy one in the upper right.
Ha Ha, so Its been a long time since I've seen this side of Thielsen. Nice shot anyway. If you get a chance, the observatory at the top of the McKenzie pass (242) is great for mountain spotting.

Gary

09-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #2664
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Tucu, that 1/30s flash shot looks great to my eye. Seem like you'd need to enlarge a fair bit before noticing any blur. Awesome pants
That scene is all too familiar. It brings back memories. Thanks. I liked going to the east side of the cascades when I was there.

I wonder if you looked more carefully at the black trace around her left shoulder, her lower right arm and part of the pants and not be mesmerized by her big eyes you'd notice?
09-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #2665
Veteran Member
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Okay, here it is. This shot is about 20 years old. I'm surprised I remembered it but I can think of two reasons for remembering it. It must have been the 105mm. I remember using a couple of flashes I had along on this houseboat trip and it was handhold. The other shots taken at the same time did not have that fuzz around them so I must have moved the camera.

Anyway, look black trace around some of the arms, shoulder and hair. You'll see what I call that gaussian burr effect from ambient light recording a bit of movement, I believe.





Thanks for finding the photo tuco, I appreciate it. I can see what you mean about the dark outline, it's a strange effect. I'm still interested in doing some flash work with my 67 though - will take a while for me to get organised but will see what happens. I could be back here asking for help soon
And yes your subject is rather striking, how about those pants!

cheers
09-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #2666
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,561
A few from London from yesterday

Spent the evening in London on my way home, and am always drawn to the water. They were packing up the school holiday fair so just caught the carousel as they were starting to dismantle it:

Pentax 645D Pentax A 200 f/4 @ f/16 for 2.5 secs




earlier in the day I exited Kings Cross station and grabbed a shot of the Underground sign

A 200 f/4 @ f/6.7 1/50




Back by the river, Westminster after dark:

A 200 f/22 66 secs




Last edited by itshimitis; 09-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
09-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #2667
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Thanks for finding the photo tuco, I appreciate it. I can see what you mean about the dark outline, it's a strange effect. I'm still interested in doing some flash work with my 67 though - will take a while for me to get organised but will see what happens. I could be back here asking for help soon
And yes your subject is rather striking, how about those pants!

cheers
No problem. I actually think it is a cool effect with a unique look.
09-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #2668
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,953
QuoteOriginally posted by gary2881 Quote
Ha Ha, so Its been a long time since I've seen this side of Thielsen. Nice shot anyway. If you get a chance, the observatory at the top of the McKenzie pass (242) is great for mountain spotting.

Gary
Thanks Gary,
If I ever travel that way I will definitely stop at the observatory.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That scene is all too familiar. It brings back memories. Thanks. I liked going to the east side of the cascades when I was there.

I wonder if you looked more carefully at the black trace around her left shoulder, her lower right arm and part of the pants and not be mesmerized by her big eyes you'd notice?
Now that you point it out, I do see the black edges.



Here are a few more from the 67 and Fuji 160S from Crater Lake

SMC Pentax 6X7 45/4




SMC Pentax 67 200/4




SMC Pentax 67 200/4
09-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #2669
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,068
This is a test shot of "minus-x" development using PMK Pyro. It is a pretty radical highlight compression method. Basically you place the low values of the scene, add 3 stops of exposure and cut the development time in half. I was looking for a scene with 15+ stops of light but didn't find one. I walked by this establishment and it looked dark inside so I asked if I could take a shot and they agreed.

This is T-Max 400 shot at f11 and 4 seconds to give you an idea how dark it was in parts of the inside. Middle gray was placed at EV6 (zone 5). The girl's jeans measured EV4 (zone 3) and the bright concrete outside EV15 (zone 14). The negative seemed about a stop or so thin. I'm going to try adding more development time to this method. The grain was fine and seemed the same as a normally developed roll of 400TMY. I'm going to keep looking for a scene with even more light to try it out on.





400TMY, f11 @ 4 seconds


Last edited by tuco; 09-07-2011 at 03:01 PM.
09-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #2670
Veteran Member
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
Interesting tuco. Your results look pretty good to me, great amount of detail outside.
I'm tempted to try this sometime. Thanks for sharing your methods.

Colton - Crater lake looks great. I can understand you wanting to visit repeatedly. Nice shots from that 200/4.

itshimitis - enjoyable shots of London and some different views (for me anyway - never been there!)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, cameras, cheapo, drive, efex, film, flickr, format, frame, fujifilm, holes, lens, lomo, medium, medium format, p67ii, pentax 67, portra, post, road, roll, scanner, shot, shots, silver, software, strait, takumar 90mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Medium Format straightshooter Pentax Medium Format 3 08-24-2010 07:10 AM
Medium format... D4rknezz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 04-06-2010 03:59 PM
Medium Format Soon? k100d Pentax News and Rumors 0 03-04-2009 12:09 PM
Medium Format Buffy Pentax Medium Format 5 03-19-2008 12:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top