Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't know if I've posted this before but since I posted the BC Parliament building shot, here is one on the inside of it from the first time I went shooting there. I rescanned it and did a better job of getting more detail in the this time.
I'll say! Amazing exposure and detail.

QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
Illumination for the scene was the gibbous Moon.
Lovely.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
The falls are impressive when you are there and there is a mist all around that make it difficult to shoot.
That is approaching abstraction... I love it! Really makes you think about what is there and the relationships between them.

But it seems to be missing the blacks. If the lower-left, lower-right and tree were pulled to black this would have incredible drama.

Thanks everyone for such great shared photos.

06-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That is approaching abstraction... I love it! Really makes you think about what is there and the relationships between them.
But it seems to be missing the blacks. If the lower-left, lower-right and tree were pulled to black this would have incredible drama.
Thanks a lot.
I was thinking about it. Here is the version from Black to White.
On site there was no black due to the fine mist that extend several meters in the woods

Cheers,

Luc
06-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #318
Veteran Member

I think that really helps!
06-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #319
Pentaxian

Stunning Tuco. I have really enjoyed your images. You B&W style is very captivating. I'd like to see more night shots like this. You know me....
Why thanks, nightfly. Your night shots in color are superb. Night photography is kind of fun. The lights look brighter than in reality in this shot. They were kind of dim. I was able to get a reading on the concrete at EV2 and went from there. I haven't tried any full moon shots yet. Do you have any recommendations on exposure using Acros?

I'll say! Amazing exposure and detail.
Thanks, rparmar. That ceiling light sure needs to be cloned out.

06-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #320

Why thanks, nightfly. Your night shots in color are superb. Night photography is kind of fun. The lights look brighter than in reality in this shot. They were kind of dim. I was able to get a reading on the concrete at EV2 and went from there. I haven't tried any full moon shots yet. Do you have any recommendations on exposure using Acros?
I would recommend exposures during the close approach to Full Moon. The gibbous phase to full is the best for good lighting of the landscape. You can shoot under the crescent Moon, but exposures will be long. That being said first quarter to gibbous phase will allow you to capture more star trails.

Good starting points are:

First Quarter: EV -7
Gibbous phase: EV -5
Typical Full Moon: EV -3.5 (Can be bright as EV -2)

Acros is very good in long exposures with minor correction for exposures lasting many minutes. I expose Acros for 30 to 60 minutes at f/5.6, sometimes more for simple star trail work.

Exposing landscapes will of course depend on the reflectivity of the scene. On granite rock, for example I would expose 10 minutes at f/8 for a full Moon scene.

I get many questions on this and I may be writing a tutorial on it. I'll keep you in mind for a copy and will post here.
06-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #321
Pentaxian

I
Good starting points are:

First Quarter: EV -7
Gibbous phase: EV -5
Typical Full Moon: EV -3.5 (Can be bright as EV -2)
I found a Looney 16 Rule that says to subtract between 18 to 19EV's under full moonlight from the standard f16/125 of the Sunny 16 rule. And that correlates with those EV numbers. Apparently that rule assumed a very bright moon and clear atmosphere because the 18 to 19EV range was given whether or not you wanted the shot to look more like daylight or more like moonlight.
06-30-2010, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #322
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tuco, excellent work as usual, and thanks for the Hassy image. We've been posting med fmt non-pentax photos in the 35mm film thread for a while, and I think they belong right here - to help build enthusiasm for the wonders of 120 film.

Thanks to the admin who finally changed the thread name to what it should have been all along.

Thanks to all you 6x7 shooters for giving us 645'ers serious size envy

And last but not least, Luc: I've been enjoying your falls series - tremendous photography and technique!

~~~~~

Tri-X in D-76, 6x9 Bessa I Vaskar folding camera

Last edited by Nesster; 06-30-2010 at 02:32 PM.
06-30-2010, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #323
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nesster, your waterfall shot is gorgeous. I like the tone and composition a lot.

Nightfly, your night shot is amazing.

Tuco, your shots are always inspiring. You are a master with B&W.

With all the great photos in this thread it is almost intimidating to post some

Here's my most recent best MF shot.

Pentax 67, SMC 67 45/4, Fujichrome RVP

06-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #324

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Nesster, your waterfall shot is gorgeous. I like the tone and composition a lot.

I will second that. Beautiful work gents. I'm slowly but surely getting a B&W bug.

Swift1: That 45mm is working well for you here. Great shot.
06-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #325

I found a Looney 16 Rule that says to subtract between 18 to 19EV's under full moonlight from the standard f16/125 of the Sunny 16 rule. And that correlates with those EV numbers. Apparently that rule assumed a very bright moon and clear atmosphere because the 18 to 19EV range was given whether or not you wanted the shot to look more like daylight or more like moonlight.
I have heard of this Looney 16. I do not meter my scenes so I offered the EV as a guide knowing you do. I should, but I don't. I am coming from an astrophotography background as you know. I started with a standard exposure and noted the exact age of the Moon. I appy what I learned from each exposure and improve on the next session. The Moon's elevation, humidity, etc will effect the Moons brightness and that is tricky to figure. I suppose in the end, a meter capable of -4 EV or better would be a usefull tool.

I generally like a 12 day old Moon, two days before full. It allows one to stop down to mid apertures and expose for a reasonable amount of time.

Further reading on the subject: http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome/LunarLight/moonlight_gallery/technique/moonbright.htm

I'm still learning as well.
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

And last but not least, Luc: I've been enjoying your falls series - tremendous photography and technique!
~~~~~

WHoa!! Thanks, but you might be going out on a limb on that one

Yours it not too shabby......you get a great tonality out of TriX on that shot. Very impressive. Is that the folding camera that you take on hikes?

You just have to blame yourself - I am posting a few more falls shots:

Alternate shot

Bottom of the barrel shot

I think that I have reached my saturation level for shots of falls, but they were so beautiful and we had to hike so much to get there......

Cheers,

Luc
06-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #327
Veteran Member

to help build enthusiasm for the wonders of 120 film.

Yes I have to say that I am hooked to MF. This has become my preferred format unless I want to go out with just one camera and lens in my pocket...
The pity, is that I have two LX and a superb collection of K lenses and a MZ-S with the three FA Limited that do not see enough action. I feel bad about it and I am even considering selling the MZ-S with the Limited...

Cheers,

Luc
06-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #328
Veteran Member

I think that really helps!
I think so...

Cheers,

Luc
06-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #329
Veteran Member

The Ravens Nest, Acadia National Park. This is from back in April, the last time I got to do some night work. I used the 67 and SMC 55mm f/4 at f/8 and a 30 minute exposure on Kodak E200. The tide was low and ocean calm. I've got to get back to this site at high tide as it should be more interesting.

Illumination for the scene was the gibbous Moon.

The colors and tone looks gorgeous.
The only think will be to have your wife/girl-friend/sister or a mariner to pose at the point of the rock with a lantern. Of course 30 minutes you might to buy her/him dinner at the most exclusive restaurant in town.
06-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #330
Pentaxian

Tuco, excellent work as usual, and thanks for the Hassy image....
~~~~~

Thanks. Wow, that water fall was just begging to have its picture taken. Good stuff. One day I'd like to get a 6x9 folder.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Here's my most recent best MF shot.

Pentax 67, SMC 67 45/4, Fujichrome RVP
Thanks. That 45mm sure is a handy lens to have when you need one. Great use of color contrast in that shot.
« PENTAX 67 help | - »