Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #3301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote

"Breaking Through" Pentax 645D, 35mm A, 1/4 sec, f/18, ISO 100.
Jawdrop.

05-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #3302
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Jawdrop
QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
Awesome Shots, Ryan!
Thank you, both! I've been out shooting a lot with the 645D since I got it about three months ago, but have had really bad luck with the light...lots of fog and rain aroudn home and not any colorful sunsets to speak of. Yosemite had almost completely flat blue skies for the entire week I was there...hopefully my luck will turn around soon!

Hoping to do some more shooting around home now that things are greening up (Lake Superior's western shore) and planning a trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone in July.
05-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #3303

Thank you, both! I've been out shooting a lot with the 645D since I got it about three months ago, but have had really bad luck with the light...lots of fog and rain aroudn home and not any colorful sunsets to speak of. Yosemite had almost completely flat blue skies for the entire week I was there...hopefully my luck will turn around soon!

Hoping to do some more shooting around home now that things are greening up (Lake Superior's western shore) and planning a trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone in July.
I love Landscape photography it taught me patience.... .....you have the whole day Ryan just check the forecast
05-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #3304
Pentaxian

"Breaking Through" Pentax 645D, 35mm A, 1/4 sec, f/18, ISO 100.
You probably couldn't shoot such an image with the Nikon D800 and the 14-24 lens. It would flare too much....

05-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #3305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You probably couldn't shoot such an image with the Nikon D800 and the 14-24 lens. It would flare too much....
I can't speak for flare on the 14-24, but it certainly would have made the whole composition wider, as the 35mm on the 645D is closer to a 28mm on the Nikon format. The nikon or canon 24-70 would have worked, not sure about how those lens flares either. I had the 24-105 on the 5d II and was never really impressed with the IQ from it...should have known better than to get the kits lens. It had a lot of CA's, as did the 16-35mm II.

I don't know why the sunburst was so prominant in this image, but I really liked it. I think the triple stacked filters may have been to 'blame'...a happy accident as they say.
05-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #3306
Pentaxian

I can't speak for flare on the 14-24, but it certainly would have made the whole composition wider, as the 35mm on the 645D is closer to a 28mm on the Nikon format. The nikon or canon 24-70 would have worked, not sure about how those lens flares either. I had the 24-105 on the 5d II and was never really impressed with the IQ from it...should have known better than to get the kits lens. It had a lot of CA's, as did the 16-35mm II.

I don't know why the sunburst was so prominant in this image, but I really liked it. I think the triple stacked filters may have been to 'blame'...a happy accident as they say.
I have the canon 24-70Land it flares plenty even with the hood on.
05-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #3307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Originally posted by Ryan Tischer
"Breaking Through" Pentax 645D, 35mm A, 1/4 sec, f/18, ISO 100. You probably couldn't shoot such an image with the Nikon D800 and the 14-24 lens. It would flare too much....
There was very little flare with the 35mm A...just a few small spots in the rocks that I was able to easily clone out. My guess is that that is due in part to it being a prime? I've heard they tend to flare less than zooms.
05-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #3308

Simply a lovely shot Ryan! The sunburst coming out the way it did, often has to do with both the light as well as the aperture selected. Often times it's the combination of the two simultaneously. I've had that happen with indoor stage lighting. A shot worth printing large!

Dave (D&A)

05-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #3309
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I get flare fairly often with my A 35mm shooting into the sun, it is very prone to it.
05-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #3310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I get flare fairly often with my A 35mm shooting into the sun, it is very prone to it.
Now that I think of it, I got a lot of flare on some of my shots from Yosemite that had the sun in the frame with the 35mm A...but very little flare on the 'Breaking Through' image I posted, which was taken with the same lens. Perhaps the GND's helped reduce flare in this case? Also, I guess that the 'partial' clouds maybe helped tone it down. I had three GND's on to balance the exposure...lots of contrast in this scene!

Are there any lenses out there that aren't prone to flare?! I've not owned one yet! I guess some are just prone and some are REALLY prone to flare.
05-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #3311

Now that I think of it, I got a lot of flare on some of my shots from Yosemite that had the sun in the frame with the 35mm A...but very little flare on the 'Breaking Through' image I posted, which was taken with the same lens. Perhaps the GND's helped reduce flare in this case? Also, I guess that the 'partial' clouds maybe helped tone it down. I had three GND's on to balance the exposure...lots of contrast in this scene!

Are there any lenses out there that aren't prone to flare?! I've not owned one yet! I guess some are just prone and some are REALLY prone to flare.
I would completely agree with this statement. All wide angle and ultra wide angle lenses can be provoked into flairing. As Ryan stated some are highly resistant to flair, some moderate and of coruse some flair easily. Also how and what kind of flair they produce and how much of it is localized and/or global in reducing image contrast, is also quite variable. So there is no hard and fast rule and incorporating improved lens coatings only tell part of the story...the optical and mecahnical deign of the lens also is a major factor.

On Ryan's lovely image one can see some global contrast across much of the image was lost, probably due to flair, but then consider the light he's shooting into. Whatever means was employed (GND's etc). certainly helped in my opinion and the overall effect is really nice!

Dave (D&A)
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #3312

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

Post Alley, Seattle

M7II, 65mm, 400TMY, PMK Pyro, Pentax Spotmeter

Very nice shot. I love it.

Congratulations,

Jardel.
05-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #3313
Veteran Member

"Lower Gooseberry Falls" Pentax 645D, FA 45-85mm @ 60mm, ISO 200, 1/2 sec, f/22
05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #3314
Veteran Member

"Lower Gooseberry Falls" Pentax 645D, FA 45-85mm @ 60mm, ISO 200, 1/2 sec, f/22
Sometimes I think medium format photos add more details than actually exist in the real scene/item. Nice shot, the tree looks a bit surreal.
05-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #3315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Sometimes I think medium format photos add more details than actually exist in the real scene/item. Nice shot, the tree looks a bit surreal.
Thank you, yes the roots also looked quite surreal in person. I spent over an hour trying to get the right composition. If I go back I might try for morning, hoping for some warmer light on the tree/roots and also may step back and employ the 80-160FA and see how that translates.