Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #346
Pentaxian

Stupid me. I didn't even think to look for a model of this car. Maybe one of you car buffs can give me a clue. The shot was taken at night on the street. I wanted to include the full front in the shot but what was parked next to the car seemed to ruin it. So for better or worse, this is what I settled on.

Pentax 6x7, SMC 45mm ƒ4, Fuji 100 Acros, Pentax Spotmeter V

Last edited by tuco; 01-01-2011 at 01:30 AM.
07-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #347
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Stupid me. I didn't even think to look for a model of this car. Maybe one of you car buffs can give me a clue. The shot was taken at night on the street. I wanted to include the full front in the shot but what was parked next to the car seemed to ruin it. So for better or worse, this is what I settled on.
It is a Cadillac, late 1940's I would venture...cool car, I think they would call it a phaeton.

Steve
07-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a Cadillac, late 1940's I would venture...cool car, I think they would call it a phaeton.

Steve
Good info. I wish I would have taken more than one shot in retrospect.
07-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #349
Loyal Site Supporter

A Garden Angel

Here is one of my first attempts on a couple of fronts. The picture is from my first roll in the new Pentax 645NII, and this is my first medium format scan on my Epson V500 scanner.

I am reasonably new at this medium format game but so far I really enjoy using the Pentax 645.

This shot was from my first roll of film. The film was a roll of expired Kodak Portra 160VC. The shot was made with my FA 80-160 zoom, shutter 1/125 and aperture f/4.5. It was scanned with the Epson V500.

07-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Here is one of my first attempts on a couple of fronts. The picture is from my first roll in the new Pentax 645NII, and this is my first medium format scan on my Epson V500 scanner.

I am reasonably new at this medium format game but so far I really enjoy using the Pentax 645.

This shot was from my first roll of film. The film was a roll of expired Kodak Portra 160VC. The shot was made with my FA 80-160 zoom, shutter 1/125 and aperture f/4.5. It was scanned with the Epson V500.
Congrats. Looks like you've got a good outfit.
07-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #351
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trying out the NC2 viewfinder

To make it a little bit easier for me I purchased a 45 viewfinder for my Hasselblad.
I find the WLF great for wide angle landscape but more difficult to focus for anything closer without having the training to do so.

SO far I am quite happy with it.
I managed what I think is decent focus without a diopter on it (I am slightly near-sighted with -1.25 diopter correction on my glasses)

The strange thing is that when adjusting diopter correction both on my 645 and LX, it takes something like -2 or -2.5 diopters to see the microprism/split the most clearly (as per instruction from Pentax to adjust diopter).

I am looking for a diopter for both the 45 viewfinder and the WLF of the Hasselblad but I am torn between looking for -1 which would be the logic according to my prescription and -2 which would be the logic according to my experience with the other cameras.

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 07-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.
07-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
To make it a little bit easier for me I purchased a 45 viewfinder for my Hasselblad.
I find the WLF great for wide angle landscape but more difficult to focus for anything closer without having the training to do so.

SO far I am quite happy with it.
I managed what I think is decent focus without a diopter on it (I am slightly near-sighted with -1.25 diopter correction on my glasses)

The strange thing is that when adjusting diopter correction both on my 645 and LX, it takes something like -2 or -2.5 diopters to see the microprism/split the most clearly (as per instruction from Pentax to adjust diopter).

I am looking for a diopter for both the 45 viewfinder and the WLF of the Hasselblad but I am torn between looking for -1 which would be the logic according to my prescription and -2 which would be the logic according to my experience with the other cameras.

Cheers,

Luc
I wear visual aids too. Good vision or not, with the magnifying glass in the WLF flipped into place I can see a match/mismatch in the split focus and judge focus in the field around it pretty easy. And these days, I can't see small letters up close to my face even with my bi-focuals on. Having never used that 45 deg attachment, I don't understand how it helps for better focusing compared that zoom of the magnifying glass in the WLF.
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #353
Veteran Member

I wear visual aids too. Good vision or not, with the magnifying glass in the WLF flipped into place I can see a match/mismatch in the split focus and judge focus in the field around it pretty easy. And these days, I can't see small letters up close to my face even with my bi-focuals on. Having never used that 45 deg attachment, I don't understand how it helps for better focusing compared that zoom of the magnifying glass in the WLF.
I am not sure myself. I just read about several people on other forums claiming that it was a lot easier for them to focus with it and decided to try it. The added benefit for me was also the image not reversed. I will probably be switching between one and the other until I know that camera/lenses better.

Cheers,

luc

07-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #354
Pentaxian

My 645N and Arsat 30mm fisheye.

Rollei R3 100 iso developped in Rollei RHS 1+15 21min @ 20C
Loch Lomond - Scotland

Fort William - Scotland

Guadeloupe

Guadeloupe

Agfachrome RSXII 50
Guadeloupe
07-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #355
Site Supporter

Pentax 6x7, SMC 45mm 4, Fuji 100 Acros, Pentax Spotmeter V
I am still puzzling over this car. I even dropped my dad a line asking his opinion. It is a Cadillac, probably 1948 based on the script lettering on the front fender. The body style looks to be the HUGE series 75 in convertible sedan. The only problem is that I could not find any evidence that style was available that year. It also appears that the windshield has been chopped. Is this a custom car by any chance?

Edit:
I did a little more research and this may be a very unusual car with custom coachwork done in 1948 by Derham Body in Pennsylvania. Three 1948 series 75 limos were modified with the first two being converted to town cars and the third being converted into a convertible sedan...

QuoteQuote:
...The third was a Series 75 convertible sedan (or phaeton) built by removing the entire "greenhouse" of the donor limousine. As on the Town Cars, the top of the windshield was modified to accept the convertible top which was locked in place as on a normal Cadillac convertible. The 1948 Series 75 was still based on the pre-war limousines which featured a windowless rear quarter panel. The large rear quarter of the convertible sedan was also windowless and when lowered, resides inside the rear of body shell below the beltline. Derham had to narrow the rear seat cushion to accommodate the top mechanism...
Steve

(Love the stainless steel running boards and suicide doors!)

(This is what happens when a man has too little to do during the day...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-14-2010 at 03:12 PM.
07-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am still puzzling over this car. I even dropped my dad a line asking his opinion. It is a Cadillac, probably 1948 based on the script lettering on the front fender. The body style looks to be the HUGE series 75 in convertible sedan. The only problem is that I could not find any evidence that style was available that year. It also appears that the windshield has been chopped. Is this a custom car by any chance?

Edit:
I did a little more research and this may be a very unusual car with custom coachwork done in 1948 by Derham Body in Pennsylvania. Three 1948 series 75 limos were modified with the first two being converted to town cars and the third being converted into a convertible sedan...

Steve

(Love the stainless steel running boards and suicide doors!)

(This is what happens when a man has too little to do during the day...)
I hope that didn't keep you up a night Thanks for the effort. Another old car buff said this:

"It's a mid-'40s Cadillac series 62 convirtible. Very desireable classic these days because of the aero-bodywork."

It's not the best shot for identification that is for sure.

Edit: The car is really large and high off the ground when sitting in it. The windscreen is really small in proportion. The car looked to taper from large in the front to thinner in the back exaggerated in that shot from the wide angle. The front quarter panels stick out like short wings.

Last edited by tuco; 07-14-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Add Info
07-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #357
Site Supporter

I hope that didn't keep you up a night Thanks for the effort. Another old car buff said this:

"It's a mid-'40s Cadillac series 62 convirtible. Very desireable classic these days because of the aero-bodywork."

It's not the best shot for identification that is for sure.

Edit: The car is really large and high off the ground when sitting in it. The windscreen is really small in proportion. The car looked to taper from large in the front to thinner in the back exaggerated in that shot from the wide angle. The front quarter panels stick out like short wings.
I think the other old car buff may have missed the suicide doors and running boards. The long wheelbase limo chassis is the only one with doors like that. Your car also has side trim that continues onto the hood. Here is the 1947 series 62 sedan for comparison:

Here is a highly modified 1949 series 75 limo that is similar to the car in your picture:

Steve
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #358
Pentaxian

Yeah, that bottom looks just like it.
07-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #359
Veteran Member

I have been playing around with the 120/4 Macro to finish a roll of Fomapan 100.
I also was testing development semi-stand in Perceptol.

Cheers,

Luc
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #360
Pentaxian

Beautiful macro shots, i like them !