Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #421
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I've said before that I don't do anything special. Look back on this thread and you'll nice scans by most. And go on Flickr and you'll see more nice scans. Maybe you've only been looking at my ISO100 scans. My workflow has changed recently since I upgraded to an Intel Mac from an older PPC Mac. I can now use products like Lightroom 3 (Intel only) and edit in 48-bit with PS. But prior to that I had a simple raw editor and used an Open Source image editor. In a nutshell:
  1. Scan 135 and 120 on 9000ED, 4x5 on 4990 using VueScan
  2. Turn off all scanner augmentations to the image except ICE on color
  3. Adjust high/low in scanner and scan output as 48-bit TIFF-DNG
  4. Open file in raw editor. Make adjustments that tool offers. Save as a 48-bit TIFF with very light sharpening.
  5. Open in PS, spend time with the healing tool, adjust curves, burn/dodge as needed, editing non-distructively as much as I can (I'm not a PS whiz)
  6. Create a new layer and apply a warming or cooling tone to the image for some. Save file.
  7. Scale down image to screen size, save file as another name.
  8. Create a sharpening layer. Apply Unsharp Mask to some images and a Smart Sharpen to all
  9. Save as a JPEG 100% quality

Sometimes I don't even need to go to PS to finish the image. If it scanned pretty clean, the healing tool in LR3 is enough and I just output to screen with whatever sharpening it applies. But I like the healing tool in PS better and I like to be able to adjust the Unsharp Mask and Smart Sharpen to taste. I've over Smart Sharpen before and that's a an on-going learning process. So is that much different than anybody else?
Perhaps it's all in the settings used for USM and Smart Sharpen. What values do you typically use for screen resolution?

Or maybe it's all in the larger neg size from the 67!

07-30-2010, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andycogbill Quote
Perhaps it's all in the settings used for USM and Smart Sharpen. What values do you typically use for screen resolution?

Or maybe it's all in the larger neg size from the 67!
USM is typically:
  • Amount: 10-20%
  • Radius: 80-100 px
  • Threshold: 2-4 levels

Smart Sharpen is typically:
  • Basic mode
  • Amount: 80-90%
  • Radius: 0.2-0.6 px
  • Remove Optn: Lens Blur

Yes, my MF scans with fine grain films will have better over-all IQ than my 135 scans. And I've not been able to define it but there is a look to it that comes from the perspective of the lenses on the larger cameras. That is, the same shot with a normal lens on 135 camera and normal on my MF and LF just seem to have a different feel. Vertical objects seem more slender and things like that. It could just be my imagination though.
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #423
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
U: It could just be my imagination though.
Then we are having the same dream. There is a different sense of space and depth in a MF image and the image is "crisper" (nothing to do with sharpening).

BTW I just purchased two RF systems both Leica Screw Mount
  1. Canon P with 35/2.8, 50/1.8 and 100/3.5
  2. FED-3 with Jupiter-12 and Jupiter-8
Most of the items are still in transit but I am looking forward to compare 35mm shots with a RF.

Luc
07-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #424
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Then we are having the same dream. There is a different sense of space and depth in a MF image and the image is "crisper" (nothing to do with sharpening).

Most of the items are still in transit but I am looking forward to compare 35mm shots with a RF.

Luc
A FED-3! What fun! Ditto for the Canon P.

Steve

07-31-2010, 04:00 AM   #425
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

I have the Fed-3, J-12, though my normal lens is an Industar 61. Nice camera. I'm really curious about the Canon though, I've scanned several vintage ads for the Canon RF's and think they are ultra cool.

Zeiss Ikon Ikomat 520 / Tessar, from 1933, Fuji ACROS 100 in Fomadon Excel (Xtol)
07-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #426
Veteran Member

Well I had been curious about RF for some time and the Leicas are not in my budget. I read a lot about the Canon and I can tell that it is a solid camera. Not the light weight pocket camera I was expecting. It is about the size of the LX and weight the same.
The lenses are very, very small...
I am developing my first roll this morning

Cheers,

Luc
08-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #427
Site Supporter

Tuco:
I use a Nikon 9000 as well (Nikonscan); how do you save scans as a DNG, mine is limited to TIFF? BTW, love the shot of the lookout. Is that the one near Marblemount in the North Cascades?

Good thread, my contribution, taken with 67II and 45mm; crop shows the resolution of this combo. First is US 90 in Wyoming, second shot is a crop

08-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #428
Site Supporter

OK 2nd attempt to post photos

US 90

Crop:

And an approaching storm in SD

08-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #429
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Tuco:
I use a Nikon 9000 as well (Nikonscan); how do you save scans as a DNG, mine is limited to TIFF? BTW, love the shot of the lookout. Is that the one near Marblemount in the North Cascades?

Good thread, my contribution, taken with 67II and 45mm; crop shows the resolution of this combo. First is US 90 in Wyoming, second shot is a crop

VueScan software gives you an option for DNG. Really, it's a TIFF-DNG and is not really the same as a digital camera's DNG of course. But I'm able to open and edit it with a raw editor.

Wow, #1 and #3 are dramatic shots in that storm series.
08-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #430
Veteran Member

@Thomas - That's quite the crop, I had to look a second time before I noticed the RV in the original.
08-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #431
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bessa on the Beach:
I'll post a few as I scan and work them. I actually loaded the Bessa I on the beach (dumb, but the light leaks aren't bad) with Ilford Pan-F+, which is an ASA 50 film. I used a Series VI lens hood and vintage polarizer "Pioneer Polaroid" which is slightly brown. Development in D76 1:1, Epson 4490 scan. Voigtlander Bessa I Vaskar 6x9 folder. Focus and exposure via educated guess. This is daughter Lilly and her friend, the two of them do some excellent photography together.

08-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #432
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm really curious about the Canon though, I've scanned several vintage ads for the Canon RF's and think they are ultra cool.

Well I received the Canon P and it is a darn nice camera. Bigger than I expected - about the size of the LX but with a different shape of course. Feels solid, something you can put your trust into...
The Canon lenses are so very small. Everything fits in a very small Domke bag.
I am waiting for a leather case, hoods...to complete the Canon RF set but I like it already.

I took a few test shots.

Not MF but very nice for the size of the lens...

Talking of MF, I purchased a cable release from eBay and since I tried it my 500CM release button seems to be dead. I have email to a repair shop in Toronto to send for CLA. This ruined part of my trip to Tofino. Thankfully I had one of my trusted LX with me.

In the process I also purchased a 6x6 Minolta Autocord TLR, to continue opening my horizons...

Cheers,

Luc
08-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
OK 2nd attempt to post photos

US 90

Crop:

And an approaching storm in SD

WHoah.......
That is nice.

BTW I second Tuco for the use of ViewScan.

Cheers,

Luc
08-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #434
Veteran Member

Original Poster

tidal pool with branch
Voigtlander Bessa I Vaskar, Pioneer Polarizer, Ilford Pan-F+, D-76
08-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #435
Pentaxian

Nice shots with that folder, Nesster. Luc, you're really collecting the gear. How are you going to shoot them all.

I've had this shot up on my Flickr stream for some time but while digging through some old color archives I found I had take two shots and this one was just before the Sun was gone so I replaced it with this one. It's taken at Camp Muir (10188ft/3105m) on Mt. Rainer in Washington state. You'd camp here on your way to the top of the mountain. There are some shelters to sleep in for the guided tours; otherwise, you pitch a tent, get a few hours of sleep and continue your ascend around 1:00AM. Yeah, back when I was a younger buck I'd haul that 67 anywhere! I don't think I would do that today though.

[

Pentax 6x7, 55mm, Kodak VHC

Last edited by tuco; 04-15-2011 at 02:13 PM.