Pentax 645N + FA 33-55mm F4.5 + Fuji Pro 400h

08-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #4352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Comments welcome!
Wow! Wonderful pictures! I love them!
08-26-2013, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #4353
Veteran Member

Maybe not a pentax, but a hassy and I think all of us are MF friends, so I will post few photos from it. I wish I could afford having my hassy and a Pentax 67, but not until some time in the future.

Taken in Nepal.

08-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #4354
Veteran Member

Lovely shots Nuff, you also have done a wonderful job of digitising. What is your workflow?

08-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #4355
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Lovely shots Nuff, you also have done a wonderful job of digitising. What is your workflow?
+1 ?

Interested too.
08-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #4356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
+1 ?

Interested too.
Thank you. I guess my workflow starts with taking the photo. The 1st and 3rd photos are shot on Ektar and I shoot it at iso 100. 2nd is Portra and I overexpose it by either +1EV (EI200) or +2EV (EI100). I think in this case it was around EI200 or 160 (I shoot Fuji Pro 400H the same or even overexpose it more). Last is taken on Fuji Pro 160NS, it was exposed at EI100.

I use my Sekonic L308S meter in incident mode (it made the biggest difference to my photos) for photos 1, 2 and 4. In took reflective reading of the shadows at the trees and boats. Always expose/meter for the shadows, negative film loves light, so don't be afraid to overexpose. It's next to impossible anyway. I have Sekonic L758 on the way, so I will be able to do more exact exposures for slide films, since my results with it are not that great.

I scan using Epson Scan software on V700. I scan 16bit BW and 48bit colour tiffs, import them into Lightroom, then I do minimal adjustments for highlights/whites and shadows/blacks, adjust the curves. It's all very minimal, I don't think that I exceed +/-10 on any of the sliders. I find Epson Scan software to get things about right the 99% of the time.

I think the biggest difference is the way I exposure and metering. I've been inspired by few Japanese Photographers on flickr who are very well known for overexposing film into +6EV or more territory (I have a test roll like that, but I've not developed it yet). Here are some links to their photos:
Flickr: Hideaki Hamada's Photostream
Flickr: _rei*'s Photostream
Flickr: sunao-films' Photostream
Flickr: Yasushi KAKIZAKI's Photostream
Flickr: ????'s Photostream

And if you like the above, you might want to checkout my favourites on flickr, about 95% of the photos there are shot on film.
Jarek Miszkinis' favorite photos and videos | Flickr
08-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #4357
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Always expose/meter for the shadows, negative film loves light, so don't be afraid to overexpose.
I wouldn't say that is always true. Sometimes I place my highlights instead of the shadows. It is scene dependent and what I want as the outcome.

08-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #4358
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Boats
Love the composition/colors here. Nice set of photos!
08-27-2013, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #4359
Veteran Member

Been shooting MF quite a bit....now I just have to get them out into the world. Couple of foodie photos here from the Huckleberry Pub here in Portland. What's the menu?

-Beet Sliders with Horseradish Cream, Caramelized Onions and Greens
-Milk Braised Pork Sliders with Lemon Rosemary Gravy
-Beer Battered Sweet Onion Rings with Garlic Mustard Aioli and Spicy Ginger Ketchup
-Seared Beef Bruschetta with Cambozola Cheese and Huckleberry Gastrique

The beet sliders were phenomenal and the photo of the seared/thin sliced NY strip speaks for itself.

Shot with my Hasselblad 500cm and 60mm CT* with 10mm extension tube. Kodak Porta 800

08-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #4360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Been shooting MF quite a bit....now I just have to get them out into the world. Couple of foodie photos here from the Huckleberry Pub here in Portland. What's the menu?
Now I'm hungry.
08-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #4361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Now I'm hungry.
Me and you both! Great little place here in PDX built in old craftsman style house with a couple levels of patio seating. All this grub was on happy hour for under $20! Hard to beat.
08-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #4362
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say that is always true. Sometimes I place my highlights instead of the shadows. It is scene dependent and what I want as the outcome.
Of course it's not always true. Especially if I want deep dark shadows, for example low key photos. I'm just talking about how the above photos were taken. I just think a lot of people underexpose c41 film and should try to give it more light. They will be pleasantly surprised with the results. I know that I was

Especially coming from dslr were we have to make sure not to blow the highlights.
08-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #4363
Pentaxian

Of course it's not always true. Especially if I want deep dark shadows, for example low key photos. I'm just talking about how the above photos were taken. I just think a lot of people underexpose c41 film and should try to give it more light. They will be pleasantly surprised with the results. I know that I was

Especially coming from dslr were we have to make sure not to blow the highlights.
I see. So how do you know where your shadows will be placed ( # of stops below ) relative to your middle gray exposure when using that light meter of yours to get deeper/lighter shadows?
08-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #4364
Veteran Member

I see. So how do you know where your shadows will be placed ( # of stops below ) relative to your middle gray exposure when using that light meter of yours to get deeper/lighter shadows?
I have been studying the zone system, not that I'm great at it. But shadows where I still want some texture, I place them at -2, blacks at -3 (same for E6 and C41). On c41 I let the highlights go as high as they want, with e6 I let the go to +2 or +3. It gets bit screwed when I change the iso etc. at the moment I'm more into high key photos.

My metering works great with c41 and sekonic l308s. But the lack if spot metering is an issue with slide film. That's why I have l758 on the way. My stock of e100vs and e100g will never get bigger, so every frame needs to have perfect exposure.
08-28-2013, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #4365
Veteran Member

A couple from coastal hike this summer out near Manzinita Beach. Same roll of Porta 800 with my Hasselblad 500cm.