Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #4696
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Thanks! I will have to check out that one too next time I am in that neck of the woods. It looks like this one has an underground water flow as well.
Thanks for the complements everyone. And yes, it is Mossbrae! It is fed by an underground springs so the flow is about the same year round. It has to be one of the prettiest waterfalls in northern California, they really need to build public access to it.

12-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #4697

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
2REP, the rendering of those is marvelous!
Thanks Mike!

More food photo ... 645D with FA 75/2.8

12-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #4698
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The saturation looks just right, and exposure is spot on. Nice photo.
Thank you! But somehow I still don't get the colors that some shows with Portra 400.

Here is another one, since this is a post your photo thread...

for those who when to Montreal before, may realize one cannot see the building arranged in this way in real life...
the image is is actually flipped due to flipped negatives when I do the scanning. >__< yes, I can flipped it back in CS, but I decided to keep it like this.
12-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #4699
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is very nice!

12-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #4700
Veteran Member

There is something about this image that really makes it stand out, but I cannot tell what it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thank you! But somehow I still don't get the colors that some shows with Portra 400.

for those who when to Montreal before, may realize one cannot see the building arranged in this way in real life...
the image is is actually flipped due to flipped negatives when I do the scanning. >__< yes, I can flipped it back in CS, but I decided to keep it like this.
12-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #4701
Pentaxian

Lovely image!

Sometimes things just look better flipped backwards. I've had a few LF black and white negatives that look better as negatives than photos
12-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #4702
Veteran Member

Maybe it was the trees in the previous photo with the fountains....but the colors do look richer in that one, and the skin tones look a little more natural. Just my opinion.....but the photo above looks a bit muted to my eye, a little less saturation...... but maybe it's just the gray day.
12-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #4703
Pentaxian

Maybe it was the trees in the previous photo with the fountains....but the colors do look richer in that one, and the skin tones look a little more natural. Just my opinion.....but the photo above looks a bit muted to my eye, a little less saturation...... but maybe it's just the gray day.
No, you are right. The color on this one looks odd. Thanks for pointing it out! It is directly from the scanner scan without any changes, I will need to redo the color on this photo....
I am still learning the scanning process....

12-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #4704
Veteran Member

I am still learning the scanning process....
It is definitely a process.....I am still learning myself Out of curiosity, what scanner/software are you using. For the most part I feel your work flow is providing excellent results.
12-11-2013, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #4705
Veteran Member

Here are a couple photos from a trip up to Whidbey Island last fall. Both shot with my Hasselblad 500cm. The first on Fuji 100F with a 10mm extension tube (tough to get that little guy in focus) and the second on Portra 160.

12-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #4706
Pentaxian

It is definitely a process.....I am still learning myself Out of curiosity, what scanner/software are you using. For the most part I feel your work flow is providing excellent results.
Hi, glad you point out the odd thing about the photo without afraid to offend me, I like that. and needed that when I am learning something, so Thanks!
I use the Epson V500, with the Epson scanning software. I tried the VueScan, but didn't see much difference (or I don't spend enough time figure it out yet)... but after I realize VueScan can't save in tiff format, I did not spend more time on it. I save the scanned image in tiff, then I import to LR, adjust exposures value, and color temperature (but only very little), some I decrease the saturation a little. Didn't sharpen or do anything else, as I am trying to get the "color of the film used". Export to CS6 to add some text/watermark, then resize and export to jpg.

Thanks,
Lee
12-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #4707
Pentaxian

but after I realize VueScan can't save in tiff format,
Yes it can. The pro version anyway. And it can also save as a DNG (partial implementation of the DNG spec) which LR can read. And it can save the file in the ProPhoto RGB color space and 48-bit which you may want to do for better editing. If you are shooting that 105mm at f2.4, don't expect its best contrast/color.
12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #4708
Veteran Member

Hi, glad you point out the odd thing about the photo without afraid to offend me, I like that. and needed that when I am learning something, so Thanks!
I use the Epson V500, with the Epson scanning software.
No problem Constructive criticism is important in addition to high praise.

I use a V700, and my scanning workflow sounds pretty similar to yours. Scan....to LR....Exposure/temp ect. Sometimes if I find that I am not getting the colors I wanted/saw, I will make slight adjustments to the individual color channels by way of the Hue/Saturation/Luminance. A few tweaks in the color channels can make a big difference.....without changing the temp/saturation of the entire image.

I agree....my goal is to get the scene my eye's saw, while considering the characteristics of the film type. Since I start I am already seeing improvements in my MF shooting/scanning/editing.....Im sure you will too.
12-11-2013, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #4709

First 'winter' shots

Hello
Here are my first 'winter' shots with my pentax 645d with the FA 45-80. I would like to make more phot's but my son was getting to cold and we had to go back....

Two leafs

Mist over water

Grtz
Dirk
12-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #4710
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackcat Quote
Mist over water
Good one. Makes an artistic picture. Looks like a wintery European scene.