Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #541
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
@ tuco

wow!
Thanks. As you know the Moon was still pretty full on the morning of the 25th. I got up at 5:00AM and went on the beach to try a moonlight shot. I should have got up earlier to try more of them. It will probably be another 9 months before I'll ever see another full moon at night around here with clouds and all.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I take it that this was one of your boring cliche' images from your latest Cannon Beach trip? NOT!!

Steve
I'm glad you like it.

09-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sunset At Cannon Beach, Oregon

Hassy 500C/M, Planar CF T* 80mm, 100 Acros, PMK Pyro, ND2.7 + Pentax O2 filters, Pentax Spotmeter V, 60 seconds

You are doing justice to Cannon beach.
I have gone there only once and of course the fog closed on us before faster than a jogger on wet sand but it is such a nice place.

Cheers,

Luc
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #543
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I do indeed...there were naked sunbathers on the rocks when I went past
Steve
I was spared taking pictures of nude in the outdoors
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #544
Veteran Member

Looks scenic indeed. How long is the drive from Victoria to Tofino?

You have to go first to Nanaimo/Parksville then turn LEFT to cross the mountains (like a L). The branch Victoria to Nanaimo is probably 2 hours and then another 3 hours (could be longer with RV or trucks) to Tofino.
Of course there are several spots on the way worth stopping for.

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 09-27-2010 at 07:30 PM.
09-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #545
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
You have to go first to Nanaimo/Parksville then turn right to cross the mountains (like a L). The branch Victoria to Nanaimo is probably 2 hours and then another 3 hours (could be longer with RV or trucks) to Tofino.
Of course there are several spots on the way worth stopping for.

Luc
Could that possibly be left (west) to cross the mountains?

The travel times sound about right based on the one time I drove out there. If you go, be sure to stop in Coombs (between Parksville and Port Alberni) to photograph the roof goats.

Steve
09-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #546

Here is my first contribution. Pentax 645N in Rocky Mountain National Park.
This is a well-aged, weather-beaten pine tree near timberline. Velvia.

09-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset At Cannon Beach, Oregon

Hassy 500C/M, Planar CF T* 80mm, 100 Acros, PMK Pyro, ND2.7 + Pentax O2 filters, Pentax Spotmeter V, 60 seconds
Awesome!

09-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #548
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetaD Quote
Here is my first contribution. Pentax 645N in Rocky Mountain National Park.
This is a well-aged, weather-beaten pine tree near timberline. Velvia.
Welcome and lets see more shots from that camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Awesome!
09-28-2010, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #549

Denver Skyline. P645N and Velvia.

09-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #550
Forum Member

My second contribution to this thread... Pentax 645NII with Provia. Spokane, WA.

I LOVE the look of Provia! The 645 slides look absolutely beautiful!
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #551
Veteran Member

The first roll back from my 645N. Feedback very welcome
Film: Fuji 160C pushed to 320, scanned with Canon 8800f.
These shots are part of my 3-year / 7-city urban photography exploration, URBANITIES

09-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #552
Pentaxian

MetaD, Mikebob, Dubesor: Nice results and good color. It is a treat to see color that is not all over exaggerated which is all too common these days.
09-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #553

Moderate use of color? You can't be talking about me.

My Denver Skyline is gloriously, uproariously colorful, but that's what I like about the hour after sunset. The ancient pine is not nearly so crazy, but using velvia did give me somewhat extra saturation compared with the reality of nature.

Maybe I'll mature with more experience, but at the moment, the saturation and contrast of velvia is the main thing keeping me from using my DSLR.

This next picture is stitched from 4 P645N shots, probably using my 75mm lens, again on Velvia. Again the saturation makes the Fall grasses golden-brown to contrast with the purple mountains majesty. Location: Kenosha Pass, 50 mi SW of Denver. Scanning is about 3,000 dpi, I think, and the final landscape aspect ratio is 16x30 inches (40x76 cm) at 300 dpi.

09-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #554
Pentaxian

You Win Some And You Lose Some

While on another visit to Cannon Beach, Oregon, I stopped by this ship again to try another shot as I did the year before. But fate was not on my side. The ship is in a cove with hardly any access to position yourself for a shot. The one spot that you can get to was mostly covered with water due to a high tide at the time and a tree had fallen in the one spot you want to be with its branches standing up between you and the ship. The ship moves around from the rising tide and on this day it was pointed out to the river in a unfavorable position.

I managed to beat back some blackberry bushes to find a spot on some wet, slippery rocks to get this shot. But as you can see it's way off to the side and not where I wanted to be. This shot was late in the afternoon and not as good a time as the morning shot I took last year.

Hassy 500C/M, 80mm, 100 Acros, Orange Filter, 60 seconds

Last years shot with a Pentax 6x7 in the morning and longer 2 minute exposure

Last edited by tuco; 06-04-2012 at 05:25 PM.
09-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #555
Forum Member

MetaD, Mikebob, Dubesor: Nice results and good color. It is a treat to see color that is not all over exaggerated which is all too common these days.
Thanks tuco... I agree completely about over exaggerated color - I'm completely adverse to it these days! Hopefully this phase passes soon!

QuoteOriginally posted by MetaD Quote
Moderate use of color? You can't be talking about me.

My Denver Skyline is gloriously, uproariously colorful, but that's what I like about the hour after sunset. The ancient pine is not nearly so crazy, but using velvia did give me somewhat extra saturation compared with the reality of nature.

Maybe I'll mature with more experience, but at the moment, the saturation and contrast of velvia is the main thing keeping me from using my DSLR.

This next picture is stitched from 4 P645N shots, probably using my 75mm lens, again on Velvia. Again the saturation makes the Fall grasses golden-brown to contrast with the purple mountains majesty. Location: Kenosha Pass, 50 mi SW of Denver. Scanning is about 3,000 dpi, I think, and the final landscape aspect ratio is 16x30 inches (40x76 cm) at 300 dpi.
Wonderful shot MetaD! Kenosha Pass is a beautiful area! I think your photo has excellent color, very natural and perfect... not at all over saturated as is popular with digital right now. That's what tuco was saying - it was a great compliment to you and your photo!

Mike