Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #7516
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 540
FA 645 150mm and 645z. Two exposures manually blended in photoshop. Kilchurn Castle at sunrise. A severe challenge for even the DR of this camera. I have got so used to the malleable files that I don't bracket much at all, just make sure the highlights aren't blown. But here that wasn't enough so I took two differently exposed images that were never intended to be blended and did my best. Any criticism welcome as long as it comes with ways to improve the outcome of this or future similar scenes.



09-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #7517
Forum Member
tc95's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 69
I like the overall image... I think you might be able to tweek the colors and balnaces... smooth-out and sharpen area's... and give the whole image a nice effect... I like the image a lot...
09-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #7518
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
FA 645 150mm and 645z. Two exposures manually blended in photoshop. Kilchurn Castle at sunrise. A severe challenge for even the DR of this camera. I have got so used to the malleable files that I don't bracket much at all, just make sure the highlights aren't blown. But here that wasn't enough so I took two differently exposed images that were never intended to be blended and did my best. Any criticism welcome as long as it comes with ways to improve the outcome of this or future similar scenes.
Very nice result!.....like the front/back separation and tonal difference which adds to the depth...you cant really eliminate the bright silver linings in an image like this! If it were mine I would crop out more of the water at the bottom just short of the branch in the water....
09-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #7519
Senior Member
lenticular's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 178
That's a beautiful scene and undoubtedly a very difficult task for any camera to record without DR problems.

Re composition I would keep as is, personally with shots with bright highlights in the sky I always like to capture their mirror image om water to show a different intensity.

Without the RAW images to work with I cannot think of any improvements!

09-19-2015, 10:03 AM - 4 Likes   #7520
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
P67 | SMC 67 165mm 2.8
Ektar 100 | V750 scan, cropped

09-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #7521
Forum Member
tc95's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 69
Nice shot... love the colors....
09-20-2015, 01:19 AM   #7522
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wiltshire/Hampshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,749
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
P67 | SMC 67 165mm 2.8
Ektar 100 | V750 scan, cropped

Impressive! Fancy sharing the uncropped shot?
09-20-2015, 12:15 PM - 8 Likes   #7523
Loyal Site Supporter
unkipunki's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Lochaweside, Argyll
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 540
Combined two different exposures and I think this is a much better result. But I will always bracket in such light in future. I effect I did by taking many shots as the light changed, but it would have been better to take different exposures very close together.



09-20-2015, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #7524
Site Supporter
sculptormic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 239
Unkipunki ; Anyway a magnificent picture in the true keltic nature of dwarfs and trolls :-)
09-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #7525
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Essex County, Ontario
Posts: 478
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Combined two different exposures and I think this is a much better result. But I will always bracket in such light in future. I effect I did by taking many shots as the light changed, but it would have been better to take different exposures very close together.
Excellent crop, I think its definitely a better result.
09-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #7526
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fowlmere, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 704
I've been there, almost 2 years ago - beautiful spot and very well captured.
09-21-2015, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #7527
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,340
Some flower shots. P645, Fuji 400H, can't be sure about the lenses used (55mm or 75mm) but I'll have used an extension tube for the second one.


P645, 400H 006b
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


P645, 400H 014a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


P645, 400H 013a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
09-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #7528
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 556
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Some flower shots. P645, Fuji 400H, can't be sure about the lenses used (55mm or 75mm) but I'll have used an extension tube for the second one.


P645, 400H 006b
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


P645, 400H 014a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


P645, 400H 013a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Boy....lovely shots. Wonder why I like them ;-} Shows what a difference the format makes, imo.
09-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #7529
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
QuoteOriginally posted by tc95 Quote
Nice shot... love the colors....
Thanks man. Birding with the 67 is a workout.

---------- Post added 09-22-15 at 12:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Impressive! Fancy sharing the uncropped shot?
Normally, not so much.... BUT, for you upstanding gents in here..... Sure. Ita looksasumting likeadis.

09-22-2015, 12:55 AM   #7530
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Combined two different exposures and I think this is a much better result. But I will always bracket in such light in future. I effect I did by taking many shots as the light changed, but it would have been better to take different exposures very close together.
VERY tasty!....great 'flattening' effect of less highlights in the clouds, and more detail in the water reflection....and a touch of glow in parts of the mist....very peaceful rendering...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, cameras, cheapo, drive, efex, film, flickr, format, frame, fujifilm, holes, lens, lomo, medium, medium format, p67ii, pentax 67, portra, post, road, roll, scanner, shot, shots, silver, software, strait, takumar 90mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Medium Format straightshooter Pentax Medium Format 3 08-24-2010 07:10 AM
Medium format... D4rknezz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 04-06-2010 03:59 PM
Medium Format Soon? k100d Pentax News and Rumors 0 03-04-2009 12:09 PM
Medium Format Buffy Pentax Medium Format 5 03-19-2008 12:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top