Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #7681
Site Supporter

Hard to choose.
Pentax 645Z A 35 ND1000 filter

10-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #7682

Itishimitus - How do you do it?

Your photos are always exceptional!

Just to satisfy my curiosity and to learn something from you - how do you extract all that luminosity out of your images? What is our finishing process like?

Thanks,
Phil
10-19-2015, 02:17 AM   #7683
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
Your photos are always exceptional!

Just to satisfy my curiosity and to learn something from you - how do you extract all that luminosity out of your images? What is our finishing process like?

Thanks,
Phil
Thanks, you are too kind. I am very happy with my images from my last Lakeland trip, was going back up yesterday, but work duties mean that it would have been too long a journey and a day and a half would not have been sufficient. The first thing with the latest images is that I was shooting in fantastic light, which is always a massive bonus. I had driven up from Windsor and the fact that I got into Lakeland when the sun was about to rise was fortuitous. Had I not been tired and slept in the car for 3 hours, it would have been dark and I would have slept through the morning light.

I try to get the best light, but it's not always possible. Work commitments or just laziness means that I can't always be available at sunset and sometimes still sleeping at dawn. I shoot by feeling and instinct and process similarly. I will tend to underexpose to protect the tones in the highlights, and the 645Z gives me great scope for this. I used to overuse clarity, but have moderated my use of this, though I do still use it, I don't take it beyond +20 on the slider in LR. I use the Google efex plugins in PSCC to bring life and colour to the images, wile trying hard not to make them look unrealistic. My self assessment is getting better, though there are still times when I upload images to Flickr that aren't quite up to scratch.

Thanks again for the compliment.

---------- Post added 10-19-15 at 03:33 AM ----------

The light promised much yesterday evening with the sun setting right by Mumbles Head at the moment. I jumped in the car and drove down to Aberavon Beach, but it didn't quite deliver. Cloud further back stole the setting sun from view. Still grabbed a few shots, and then had a Cappuccino and some ice cream at Café Remo on the sea front.

Pentax 645Z FA 45 - 85

10-19-2015, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #7684
Site Supporter

Also for me an interesting read Itshimitis! Your photo's do have a very crispy presence in deed, so does Mike Oria's.
Light is so important, since I have the Pentax 645Z there have been a lack of interesting light or when there sparerly was, I didn't have the time.

Yesterday, like you the light was rapidly hiding itself behind the upcoming clouds as soon as I arrived. Very frustrating.

Pentax 645Z FA 80-160

Last edited by sculptormic; 10-19-2015 at 04:22 AM.
10-19-2015, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #7685
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
Also for me an interesting read Itshimitis! Your photo's do have a very crispy presence in deed, so does Mike Oria's.
Light is so important, since I have the Pentax 645Z there have been a lack of interesting light or when there sparerly was, I didn't have the time.

Yesterday, like you the light was rapidly hiding itself behind the upcoming clouds as soon as I arrived. Very frustrating.

Pentax 645Z FA 80-160
Yes, Mike Oria and Itshimitis produce very 'sharp' images that get posted here. A great deal of this is down to their individual photographic field skills, but a significant element is their post processing acumen. Personally I find that no matter how 3D or sharp my images look on screen at full resolution it doesn't necessarily translate to 1280 x long edge resolution. This seems more true of MF files than with my previous apsc. I find I need to control the resizing with Gaussian blur and fine radius sharpening after resizing to get a resized image that conveys the qualities of the original. There doesn't seem to be a set amount of blur/sharpening on resizing that works. I find it depends on each individual image
10-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #7686
Site Supporter

Yes, resizing for the web is always a problem. I always use Web Sharpener from Andreas Resch which works quiet well I think.
BTW forgot to mention your fine images.

Last edited by sculptormic; 10-19-2015 at 09:36 AM.
10-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #7687
Pentaxian

I do extra sharpening for web sizes. I duplicate the finished image then add a sharpening layer then reduce the opacity of that layer to 60-75%.
10-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #7688
Pentaxian

Thanks for the mention! My resized images don't receive any extra attention, nor do they hold up when posted here as attachments, so I post them to flickr and then link into this forum. Either flickr is adding some sharpening or there is less overall compression and degradation, but the images always look better there to me. As far as field technique, I use a big heavy tripod and I tend to stop down without worrying about diffraction. f/13-f/16 for sure, occasionally more. I also incorporate some pano technique often to squeeze a little more detail into the images - this benefits the prints and is not apparent on the web of course.

10-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #7689
Site Supporter

Mike, may I ask which tripod you use? ( Or anybody else for that matter)
At the moment I use a Benro aluminium tripod with a Benro ballhead. It is all quiet robuust, but this MF thing is still rather new to me, so I was wondering; does it have to be a carbon one per se.
I was thinking aluminium is heavyer by itself. I think that I will buy a really good ballhead to start with. To feel safer. One with an asherical ballhead with friction control. Arca swiss Z series or simular.

I hope to make 3 stiched pano's soon, when i finally receive my hasselblad adapter from China, with the Mamiya shift lens.
10-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #7690
Pentaxian

Hard to choose.

Hmmmm....Sky is better in the top image imo. Whether to include the shoreline is a tough call. I think the top looks a bit awkward, As though it was cropped too severely, and the bottom has too much shoreline? I wonder if you cropped differently on the bottom one, just to the edge of the water? Of course, then there's the sky. Really think the sky suits the image best in the top image----did you crop/compose that in camera?

Anyway, love this sort of image, and these are right up my alley
10-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #7691
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Hmmmm....Sky is better in the top image imo. Whether to include the shoreline is a tough call. I think the top looks a bit awkward, As though it was cropped too severely, and the bottom has too much shoreline? I wonder if you cropped differently on the bottom one, just to the edge of the water? Of course, then there's the sky. Really think the sky suits the image best in the top image----did you crop/compose that in camera?

Anyway, love this sort of image, and these are right up my alley
Just two different shots. I had to crop the first one because the horizon wasn't straight. I think i prefer the one with the rocks, especially the light on them, also that pier's shape gets more interesting.

BTW it isn't a pier actually but a tunnel to channel the water from a small river to the sea.
10-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #7692

In addition to the pictures the comments on post processing is very helpful! Thanks to all.

I really need a better ball head - I'd appreciate recommendations for the 645z including model number. My largest lens is the 67 300*mm with a tele extender.

Phil
10-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #7693
Pentaxian

I've used ball heads before but tend to go back to a gear head as I find these more precise. For the Z I do use a fairly heavy set of tripod legs. Mandatory by brand can't remember the model number. Like Mike, I'm not afraid of shooting at f/13-16 to get maximum sharpness.
10-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #7694
Site Supporter

Back to Greenspond

Panoramic cropped from a 6x6. FP Plus in the Rolleiflex. Ièm still working on improving my scans. I feel like if I printed this in the darkroom, the grain would be less apparent.
Attached Images

10-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #7695
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Velvian Quote
Long time 645 user, Velvia lover. Just bought a 645D on buy sell from fellow forum member and received it yesterday.

Only had time for a few shots around the house yesterday...

...I think I am going to like this camera. Still miss Velvia but this is so much faster.
Now to save some money for FA lenses, they are expensive.
I will be manually focusing my A series lenses for a while.
Thank you to forum member, reasonable deal and nice camera.

Velvian - Keeping my name, may Velvia never die.
I like your first shots, particularly the gnome and the leaves.
I picked up a new (unused, not brand new from a shop) FA 45-85 for a very good price and I like this lens a lot.
I'm a fairly new 645D owner with too many cameras, however despite this the 645D is probably a keeper.

---------- Post added 10-20-15 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Panoramic cropped from a 6x6. FP Plus in the Rolleiflex. Ièm still working on improving my scans. I feel like if I printed this in the darkroom, the grain would be less apparent.

That's a stunning image!

---------- Post added 10-20-15 at 01:30 PM ----------

Hard to choose.

I prefer the first image because of the foreground rocks.

---------- Post added 10-20-15 at 01:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I do extra sharpening for web sizes. I duplicate the finished image then add a sharpening layer then reduce the opacity of that layer to 60-75%.
I love your landscapes however I personally feel that a couple of them do look over-sharpened, to my taste of course.

I became aware of the lack of sharpness challenges presented by re-sized files a couple of years back, reading extensive discussion on such PP on the FredMiranda forum.

I ended up playing with some Unix command line scripts that had been shared by a Finnish FM member. I made my own variations on these and varied the number of re-size steps depending on which camera (therefore file size) I had used. Subject images also play a large part of course. Similar steps are available as scripts or actions for use in PS and LR and the same FM thread has some of those published.

I took the above approach because I wasn't using LR or PS for my processing, rather C1 Pro. That's not really such a viable option anymore with the 645D (for all the known grubby reasons). Having started with LR more recently I have been lazy and let it sharpen for web output.