Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35491 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #7696

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Thanks, you are too kind. I am very happy with my images from my last Lakeland trip, was going back up yesterday, but work duties mean that it would have been too long a journey and a day and a half would not have been sufficient. The first thing with the latest images is that I was shooting in fantastic light, which is always a massive bonus. I had driven up from Windsor and the fact that I got into Lakeland when the sun was about to rise was fortuitous. Had I not been tired and slept in the car for 3 hours, it would have been dark and I would have slept through the morning light.

I try to get the best light, but it's not always possible. Work commitments or just laziness means that I can't always be available at sunset and sometimes still sleeping at dawn. I shoot by feeling and instinct and process similarly. I will tend to underexpose to protect the tones in the highlights, and the 645Z gives me great scope for this. I used to overuse clarity, but have moderated my use of this, though I do still use it, I don't take it beyond +20 on the slider in LR. I use the Google efex plugins in PSCC to bring life and colour to the images, wile trying hard not to make them look unrealistic. My self assessment is getting better, though there are still times when I upload images to Flickr that aren't quite up to scratch.

Thanks again for the compliment.

---------- Post added 10-19-15 at 03:33 AM ----------

The light promised much yesterday evening with the sun setting right by Mumbles Head at the moment. I jumped in the car and drove down to Aberavon Beach, but it didn't quite deliver. Cloud further back stole the setting sun from view. Still grabbed a few shots, and then had a Cappuccino and some ice cream at Café Remo on the sea front.

Pentax 645Z FA 45 - 85

Wow, that place looks so different at night. I really like it. The details are amazing in both images.

Susan

---------- Post added 10-19-15 at 10:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
Also for me an interesting read Itshimitis! Your photo's do have a very crispy presence in deed, so does Mike Oria's.
Light is so important, since I have the Pentax 645Z there have been a lack of interesting light or when there sparerly was, I didn't have the time.

Yesterday, like you the light was rapidly hiding itself behind the upcoming clouds as soon as I arrived. Very frustrating.

Pentax 645Z FA 80-160
Lovely composition.

Susan

10-20-2015, 02:26 AM   #7697
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lenticular Quote
I love your landscapes however I personally feel that a couple of them do look over-sharpened, to my taste of course.

I became aware of the lack of sharpness challenges presented by re-sized files a couple of years back, reading extensive discussion on such PP on the FredMiranda forum.

I ended up playing with some Unix command line scripts that had been shared by a Finnish FM member. I made my own variations on these and varied the number of re-size steps depending on which camera (therefore file size) I had used. Subject images also play a large part of course. Similar steps are available as scripts or actions for use in PS and LR and the same FM thread has some of those published.

I took the above approach because I wasn't using LR or PS for my processing, rather C1 Pro. That's not really such a viable option anymore with the 645D (for all the known grubby reasons). Having started with LR more recently I have been lazy and let it sharpen for web output.
Fair point, well made. The margins can be tight sometimes, and I do try hard not to over sharpen. I sharpen at 2500px longest length, reduce opacity to 60 -75% depending on contrast areas in the shot, then reduce size again to 1500px, review and then flatten the layers. This is what I upload to flickr, and it may be that when flickr resizes to the 1024px that I link on here that they are sharpening it again. Will certainly take a closer look, because the margin between sharp and over sharpened is a fine one. thanks for the feedback
10-20-2015, 03:01 AM   #7698

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Fair point, well made. The margins can be tight sometimes, and I do try hard not to over sharpen. I sharpen at 2500px longest length, reduce opacity to 60 -75% depending on contrast areas in the shot, then reduce size again to 1500px, review and then flatten the layers. This is what I upload to flickr, and it may be that when flickr resizes to the 1024px that I link on here that they are sharpening it again. Will certainly take a closer look, because the margin between sharp and over sharpened is a fine one. thanks for the feedback
You are very welcome indeed Ishimitis!

For possible interest here is the link for the thread I referred to (now archived but still available):Post Processing Techniques - FM Forums

The Finnish member on FredMiranda to whom I referred is Samuli Verhonen.
10-20-2015, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #7699

Lenticular,

Thank you for your comment. I have the 45 -85 in A series. Will be looking for some FA lenses soon.
Camera depleted my funds for a bit.
Velvian

---------- Post added 10-20-15 at 09:11 AM ----------

Did get a few pictures on Sunday last, windy and cold.

Both with A series 35mm on new to me 6545D, too windy for sharp leaves but colors are still good here.

Velvian

10-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #7700
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Panoramic cropped from a 6x6. FP Plus in the Rolleiflex. Ièm still working on improving my scans. I feel like if I printed this in the darkroom, the grain would be less apparent.
Looks nice!

Scanning negatives is very much a jungle of its own to figure out.
I have found Silverfast to be the best option out there in terms of software and then making straight scans without the use of film presets, (save for the negative inversion) to provide the best results. I then do my own manual corrections in photoshop.

I have yet to find a Scanner/software combination where I could rely on presets.

And again nothing really compares to a well executed darkroom print.
10-20-2015, 11:17 AM - 5 Likes   #7701
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mike, may I ask which tripod you use? ( Or anybody else for that matter)
Sure, I should not have said "heavy" as it is quite light, but rather "sturdy". I have the Induro CT414. Big robust leg set which I reviewed here:
Induro CT414 8X Carbon Tripod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

As for heads, I use a couple of Manfrotto 329 3-way heads which are long obsolete I guess, but very rugged and I like them. With the 645D I like a larger QR plate for more body contact and thus have a couple of RC4 plates affixed to the body.

---------- Post added 10-20-2015 at 11:18 AM ----------

Between Peaks
Between Peaks
645D & A80-160
10-21-2015, 09:16 AM - 4 Likes   #7702
Veteran Member

Fuji GA645i, Delta 3200 (@1600)

Porta 400

(yes, I know you can see my hand. still like the shot though! )

10-21-2015, 12:34 PM - 4 Likes   #7703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Sure, I should not have said "heavy" as it is quite light, but rather "sturdy". I have the Induro CT414. Big robust leg set which I reviewed here:

As for heads, I use a couple of Manfrotto 329 3-way heads which are long obsolete I guess, but very rugged and I like them. With the 645D I like a larger QR plate for more body contact and thus have a couple of RC4 plates affixed to the body.[COLOR="Silver"]
Thank you Mike, very helpfull! I am always in for a cheaper alternative of "the best (Gitzo)". I will look into it further.
To spend another € 1000 on a tripod, after spending so much on a camera and lenses, is a bit of psychological barrière.
I start with a good head I think, because my tripod does feel rather sturdy. Two larger QR plates are on my list as well. Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-21-15 at 01:22 PM ----------

Although I am not religious I am always interested in cathedrals, the architecture and often magnificant effort put in it.
It is a real test for highlight recovery. Very hard to find the right modus for this problem with the Pentax 645Z

FA 45-85

10-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #7704
Forum Member

Both shots are beautiful - sculptormic - but the first is just awe-inspiring... great work...!!!
10-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #7705

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

As for heads, I use a couple of Manfrotto 329 3-way heads which are long obsolete I guess, but very rugged and I like them. With the 645D I like a larger QR plate for more body contact and thus have a couple of RC4 plates affixed to the body.

---------- Post added 10-20-2015 at 11:18 AM ----------

Between Peaks
Between Peaks
645D & A80-160
Wow, kind of painterly.

---------- Post added 10-21-15 at 09:44 PM ----------

Thank you Mike, very helpfull! I am always in for a cheaper alternative of "the best (Gitzo)". I will look into it further.
To spend another € 1000 on a tripod, after spending so much on a camera and lenses, is a bit of psychological barrière.
I start with a good head I think, because my tripod does feel rather sturdy. Two larger QR plates are on my list as well. Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-21-15 at 01:22 PM ----------

Although I am not religious I am always interested in cathedrals, the architecture and often magnificant effort put in it.
It is a real test for highlight recovery. Very hard to find the right modus for this problem with the Pentax 645Z

FA 45-85

Well done and that building has stood the test of time! Reminds me of the one that has been revealed due to the drought.

Susan

---------- Post added 10-21-15 at 09:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
Fuji GA645i, Delta 3200 (@1600)

Porta 400

(yes, I know you can see my hand. still like the shot though! )
That is a nice shot just go in and fill and remove by content aware in PS. I can do that in PS CS5.

Susan
10-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #7706
Veteran Member

sculptormic > that first shot with the FA 45-85 is simply awesome. Hats off to you. I can only wish I can come close...
BTW, is this the Oudekerk on Oudekerksplein?

Last edited by debakarma; 10-21-2015 at 10:31 PM.
10-22-2015, 02:00 AM   #7707
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
sculptormic > that first shot with the FA 45-85 is simply awesome. Hats off to you. I can only wish I can come close...
BTW, is this the Oudekerk on Oudekerksplein?
Thank you! No this is a small cathedral in Dieppe, Normandy. The "Oude kerk" in Amsterdam is much more sober- Calvinistic.

Next time I am going to use exposure bracketing for these difficult highlights situations.

Thank you Susan and tc95!
10-22-2015, 05:00 AM   #7708
Veteran Member

Thank you! No this is a small cathedral in Dieppe, Normandy. The "Oude kerk" in Amsterdam is much more sober- Calvinistic.

Next time I am going to use exposure bracketing for these difficult highlights situations.

Thank you Susan and tc95!
Those are lovely images. Are you saying these are from single exposures? How did you process them? I enjoy the 2nd shot in particular; the dynamic range must have been quite large and the image appears to have a slight HDR effect.

Tom
10-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #7709
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Those are lovely images. Are you saying these are from single exposures? How did you process them? I enjoy the 2nd shot in particular; the dynamic range must have been quite large and the image appears to have a slight HDR effect.

Tom
Thank you Tom! Single exposure.

Highlight slider all the way to the left. Shadows a bit to the right.Bit of contrast and a 25% blended layer from Topaz Adjust- clarity filter. Save for the Web with Web sharpener.

This cathedral has some clear windows and in the second shot the window light is blown and not recoverable.

Next time I try exposure bracketing in these kind of situations.

Last edited by sculptormic; 10-22-2015 at 08:25 AM.
10-23-2015, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #7710

Our front garden is at its best this time of year - Spring is really in its stride here in SE Australia. Icelandic poppies sown from seed are multiplying annually. They look great while in bloom but are easy to mistake as unruly weeds at other times.

These two are both with Hasselblad C (CF?) lenses I bought, the Makro-Planar 120 locally and the 80f2.8 as an 'Ugly' from KEH. Like all of my KEH purchases I have been pleased at the better-than-described condition.

Hasselblad Makro-Planar 120 f4 at f16 on P645D

Hasselblad 80f2.8 at f4, P645D