Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #826
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yet another from the 645. I don't know why I don't shoot more with this camera. Size aside, it is one of the easiest film cameras to use. Now for the harder part--scanning the B&W from that morning.

12-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #827
Pentaxian

Making do. I was at some friends house and they wanted a shot of their daughter. I had two battery flashes in my car but no diffusion. I set up a standard key, fill and used his shop work light for a back light. The parents held the flashes. With kids and BW you can get away with hard light pretty easy.

Pentax 6x7, 165mm LS, Kodak 100TMX

Last edited by tuco; 12-30-2010 at 06:05 PM.
12-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #828
Site Supporter

Nice work!
12-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #829
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
...I will check the tank but it's a SS Nikor that i use regularly so it gets cleaned all the time.
I use the same tanks and on rare occasions I have to break out the SOS pads!

Water in Vancouver is one of the cleanest lowest in metals....in the World so I have never used distilled water.
We had a broken main a few weeks ago from freezing and there was quite a few particulates in the water. I wash with tap water and I'm gonna have to rewash a roll because of it. You can never be too sure what's happened further up stream. Just one more variable as you said.

Thanks a lot and I will keep at it on some test rolls - not the ones from my travel in France
For sure!

12-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #830
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Nice work!
x2! Really nice.
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #831
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Nice work!
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
x2! Really nice.
Thanks you guys. Nice to see you taking the 645 out for some exercise, Gene.
12-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #832
Pentaxian

More messing around with flashes.

Pentax 6x7, 55mm, Kodak 320TXP

Last edited by tuco; 06-04-2012 at 05:13 PM.
12-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #833
Inactive Account

Incredible work, tuco! I like the "off" composition of the last one. It takes a while before you realize that the window on the right is an important part of it.

---------------------

I couldn't resist buying the 105/2.4. I got a splendid deal on a nearly brand new one!

All wide open on P67II with Tri-X, developed in Calbe R09.

12-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #834
Site Supporter

Great stuff appearing here. Everyone must have time for the holidays. I do hope to see more of the P645 and a bit more of the Graflex.
12-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #835
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
Incredible work, tuco! I like the "off" composition of the last one. It takes a while before you realize that the window on the right is an important part of it.

I couldn't resist buying the 105/2.4. I got a splendid deal on a nearly brand new one!
Thanks so much. The guy was puffing on that stogy and I got the idea for the smoke and set the flashes up around him. My only thought about composition was to get the smoke, him and that neon sign. I didn't think about it more than that. I was just messing around for fun.

Congrats on the new lens. That is a handy lens for that camera for sure and one I certainly carry the most. And it's so common that you can really get it cheap these days too.

You captured good snow detail with these shots for such flat light. In the other thread you mention having trouble exposing for it and having the book "The Negative". In Appendix 2 of the Film Test Data, there is an interesting plot of using Selenium toner on the negative and how it expands the tones. Similar to a N+1 expansion for that tested film. For flat scenes, that might be worth a try on a negative.

Last edited by tuco; 12-31-2010 at 01:22 PM.
12-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #836
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks so much. The guy was puffing on that stogy and I got the idea for the smoke and set the flashes up around him. My only thought about composition was to get the smoke, him and that neon sign. I didn't think about it more than that. I was just messing around for fun.
That only makes it more great! I mean, look a the completely straight line that the window makes in parallel with the right side of the frame. I thought it was well planned.

QuoteQuote:
Congrats on the new lens. That is a handy lens for that camera for sure and one I certainly carry the most. And it's so common that you can really get it cheap these days too.
I haven't got a clue of what they usually cost, but I gave ~$250. The prices in Sweden are of course higher than in the US, but that's like 1/4 of what it costs new (which it probably was). The store owner also offered an older S-M-C Takumar for ~$150, but I decided to get the newer one because of "feel".

What surprises me is the very low distortion! Way lower than the 90/2.8, and the vignetting is also lower even at f/2.4. There's a slight tendency for front focusing, but that's what I'd call normal with fast lenses. I'll have to adjust for it when shooting wide open.

QuoteQuote:
You captured good snow detail with these shots for such flat light. In the other thread you mention having trouble exposing for it and having the book "The Negative". In Appendix 2 of the Film Test Data, there is an interesting plot of using Selenium toner on the negative and how it expands the tones. Similar to a N+1 expansion for that tested film. For flat scenes, that might be worth a try on a negative.
I developed these (Tri-X @ 400) in Calbe R09 1:60 for 14 minutes, which was a tad too long I think. But the detail is there, and could be "dragged out", though causing severe graininess because of elevated contrast in the mid-high tones. I placed the lightest parts of the snow at zone VII or so.

I'll definitely check out the selenium stuff!
12-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #837
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Makten, excellent work & congrats on an obviously excellent lens... and a wee tear in the eye for the ol Volvo
12-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #838
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here's another 'print' of an older scan, I'm learning the high pass method of sharpening (I'm not thinking it gives much advantage in b&w) ... Neopan 400, D-76, and the wonderful Kodak Medalist

12-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #839
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Here's another 'print' of an older scan, I'm learning the high pass method of sharpening (I'm not thinking it gives much advantage in b&w) ... Neopan 400, D-76, and the wonderful Kodak Medalist
Always a treat to see shots from that camera.
12-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #840
Pentaxian

Rescanning some older shots that were originally done on my other scanner. I'm definitely looking forward to some warmer weather.

Pentax 6x7, 105mm, Yellow Filter, Kodak 320TXP