Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #871

Taken in Hamburg this Winter with Pentax 67II, 75mm, graduated filter, Kodakt T-MAX400

Attached Images

01-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #872
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
I will try to post something in the next few days. I'm working on preparing the files now. I go the opposite direction as you. Scan in color(B&W Film), open in Photoshop, dust-bust, use channel mixer to convert to B&W, convert to Gray gamma 2.2 and do capture sharpening. Then I use LR3 for any minor tone tweaks and cataloging. Lightroom works in RGB, so by going this route your .tif on disk can be 3 times smaller(assuming a b&w image scanned in color). Lightroom only stores changes in metadata, so you can then have multiple versions of that file with minimal disk space; tones, crops, etc..

Know what you mean about files sizes, when I scan 6x9 the files are huge even at 2540SPI!
I know that you look at the Blue channel based on Pyrocat development. In Vuescan you can choose which channel to use i.e. blue
If you export a RGB file then your original before tweaks is 3 times bigger obviously - I keep all my originals so that is a heavy burden on my storage/processing
So I start with a grayscale DNG from Vuescan use the same approach than Tuco and export a TIF to CS5 that gets converted to sGrey ( sRGB curve instead of gamma 2.2)

Cheers,

Luc
01-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #873
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Amen to that it makes upgrading from CS3 or CS4 to CS5 worth it just for that feature.
I'm stuck currently as the only full PS I have is the first CS, and there's no deal to upgrade from that to the current version.

On the other hand, this morning I bought Elements 9 from Amazon for $60 - $20 mail in rebate = $40... my understanding is that Elements 9 has the improved healing brush.
01-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #874
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm stuck currently as the only full PS I have is the first CS, and there's no deal to upgrade from that to the current version.

On the other hand, this morning I bought Elements 9 from Amazon for $60 - $20 mail in rebate = $40... my understanding is that Elements 9 has the improved healing brush.

Then that is pretty good
The brush is called "content aware" I think and works great for cleaning.

Cheers,

luc

01-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #875
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Strange panorama that turns out to be economically and politically significant The Goldman Sachs building in Jersey city, over-shadowing and distorting the lower Manhattan financial district

Neopan 100, Yashica Mat 124G
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #876
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm stuck currently as the only full PS I have is the first CS, and there's no deal to upgrade from that to the current version. ...
I'm in a similar situation. I have CS3 Design premium suite and Adobe doesn't allow me to only upgrade Photoshop. I have to upgrade all the software, even though I only use a few of them! $$$
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #877
Inactive Account

I know that you look at the Blue channel based on Pyrocat development. In Vuescan you can choose which channel to use i.e. blue
If you export a RGB file then your original before tweaks is 3 times bigger obviously - I keep all my originals so that is a heavy burden on my storage/processing
So I start with a grayscale DNG from Vuescan use the same approach than Tuco and export a TIF to CS5 that gets converted to sGrey ( sRGB curve instead of gamma 2.2)

Cheers,

Luc
Yes, I do it a little strangely; by no means better or worse, just differently. Different bases have slightly different color. So I set the black point to and neutralize the base. There is very little stain there so the negative takes on a blue tint because the stain is yellow/brown. Then when the file is in Photoshop I remove any color noise left by my scanner and I use channel mixer at about 80% blue, 15% green, and 5% red to create a R=G=B as Tuco says Vuescan does. Then by saving as a Grayscale file you throw away two of the duplicate channels and you get 1/3 the size on disk. I can in no way say this workflow is best for everyone, but after lots of testing with my scanner it produces the best files for me.

I was thinking we should start a new thread about scanning workflows since everyone does it differently. Not to find the best way to do it, but maybe to get ideas from others that might help our own workflow. There is so many ways to skin a cat, I think it would be very interesting and helpful!
01-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #878
Pentaxian

Then when the file is in Photoshop I remove any color noise left by my scanner and I use channel mixer at about 80% blue, 15% green, and 5% red to create a R=G=B as Tuco says Vuescan does. Then by saving as a Grayscale file you throw away two of the duplicate channels and you get 1/3 the size on disk. I can in no way say this workflow is best for everyone, but after lots of testing with my scanner it produces the best files for me.
That is a good method. I use to do that too. The results from VueScan seem to be just about as good so I got lazy

Yeah, my method costs you larger file sizes for sure. But, again, I get lazy and spend the extra disk space for the convenience of keeping the files in the RGB color space. Very few of my displayed results are actually pure grayscale. By keeping them in the RGB color space I can apply a "tone" to them without a fixed color tone map. I create a new color balance layer and you can then tweak the shadow/midtones/highlights RGB/CMY values to make the tone in the end. You can simulate a warm tone paper that way for example. It's not the most space-savings way of doing it of course.

Last edited by tuco; 01-03-2011 at 11:54 AM.
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elphinston Quote
Here is another Isle of Skye photo from the hiking trail to Loch Coruisk . I used my 45mm lens.
Talk about capturing the moment. I keep looking for the pot of gold in that shot.
01-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #880
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That is a good method. I use to do that too. The results from VueScan seem to be just about as good so I got lazy

Yeah, my method costs you larger file sizes for sure. But, again, I get lazy and spend the extra disk space for the convenience of keeping the files in the RGB color space. Very few of my displayed results are actually pure grayscale. By keeping them in the RGB color space I can apply a "tone" to them without a fixed color tone map. I create a new color balance layer and you can then tweak the shadow/midtones/highlights RGB/CMY values to make the tone in the end. You can simulate a warm tone paper that way for example. It's not the most space-savings way of doing it of course.

Yes that is the price to pay for been in grayscale but in LR I think that you can add the tinting to a version ans save space.

Cheers,

Luc
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #881
Pentaxian

Yes that is the price to pay for been in grayscale but in LR I think that you can add the tinting to a version ans save space.

Cheers,

Luc
If it adds color, then it must convert it to RGB. And I only see three export color spaces in LR (besides custom which is looking for a file). None are 16 or 8bit grayscale.
01-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #882
Veteran Member

If it adds color, then it must convert it to RGB. And I only see three export color spaces in LR (besides custom which is looking for a file). None are 16 or 8bit grayscale.
Original from Vuescan export Grayscale -DNG
Export TIF in ProPhoto to CS5 - convert to sGrey in CS5
Question is can you add tint in LR3 on a version of the TIF or do you need to convert to RGB in order to do so (likely)?

Cheers,

luc
01-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #883
Inactive Account

Original from Vuescan export Grayscale -DNG
Export TIF in ProPhoto to CS5 - convert to sGrey in CS5
Question is can you add tint in LR3 on a version of the TIF or do you need to convert to RGB in order to do so (likely)?

Cheers,

luc
Lightroom doesn't change the original file, all toning actions are stored in the sidecar file or database. The only time the file gets converted to RGB is on export. One caveat, you have to use split-toning to add tone to a grayscale file in LR. Usually I prefer Photoshop for toning and typically use the QTR LAB profile, but gray files can indeed be toned in LR without affecting the original file.
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #884
Veteran Member

Lightroom doesn't change the original file, all toning actions are stored in the sidecar file or database. The only time the file gets converted to RGB is on export. One caveat, you have to use split-toning to add tone to a grayscale file in LR. Usually I prefer Photoshop for toning and typically use the QTR LAB profile, but gray files can indeed be toned in LR without affecting the original file.
That's what I thought. The only issue is if you do not print from LR. Most of my files are in sGrey but I have been looking at getting some toning into the file sometime.

Cheers,

Luc
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #885
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it adds color, then it must convert it to RGB...
That is exactly what it does. Play with the sliders and you can see the pretty color peaks on the histogram. I regularly apply a Selenium tone preset (X-Equal Monochrome Toolkit) to my B&W work that leverages the Split Toning feature and the RGB "peaks" are quite obvious in the histogram. A little yellow here and a little blue there and you have selenium!

I don't know about the color space for file export from LR. It looks like it is always some variant of RGB for v1.x, but that may not be completely true.

Steve