Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #8881

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
You don't need to IMHO--the first in the two you just posted is to die for.

Agree!

04-22-2016, 04:36 AM - 5 Likes   #8882

645D and 55mm 2.8

Still working out the camera but we are getting there.
04-22-2016, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #8883
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dogs857 Quote
645D and 55mm 2.8

Cool shot!

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 10:33 AM ----------

Since it's National Park week admission is free at all the NPs in the USA, I stopped by my local park to catch moonrise last night.
First observation is that it is difficult to take a photo of something in the sky and a hole in the ground at the same time! Things didn't align exactly how I was hoping (no signal for TPE to work here) but it was still really nice and I almost had the place to myself.
Yesterday's moonrise would have probably been better for ambient light on the canyon walls but I'm reasonably happy with what I brought home last night.
645D & FA 45-85, 3 exposure HDR (yet I still blew out the moon, oh well)

Last edited by mattb123; 04-22-2016 at 09:37 AM.
04-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #8884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dogs857 Quote
645D and 55mm 2.8

Love this shot

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Cool shot!

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 10:33 AM ----------

Since it's National Park week admission is free at all the NPs in the USA, I stopped by my local park to catch moonrise last night.
First observation is that it is difficult to take a photo of something in the sky and a hole in the ground at the same time! Things didn't align exactly how I was hoping (no signal for TPE to work here) but it was still really nice and I almost had the place to myself.
Yesterday's moonrise would have probably been better for ambient light on the canyon walls but I'm reasonably happy with what I brought home last night.
645D & FA 45-85, 3 exposure HDR (yet I still blew out the moon, oh well)
Like this one....but, and not to be critical, but I feel like the whole thing could be a lot darker.

04-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #8885
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Love this shot

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 01:08 PM ----------

Like this one....but, and not to be critical, but I feel like the whole thing could be a lot darker.
That's ok, I don't mind some critique. Thanks for the feedback.

The sun was setting behind me so there was some soft light hitting that canyon wall but I did use HDR to lighten those shadowy areas because they could just come out almost black if I was trying to expose for the moon or sky.

This is how it looked to me so I tried to process to match that look. I think photos much darker than this can be hard to view and especially hard to print so I was keeping those things in mind too.
Does it look too light to anyone else? Now I'm curious. I was concerned it was still too dark!
04-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #8886
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does it look too light to anyone else? Now I'm curious. I was concerned it was still too dark!
On my monitor it doesn't look too dark in any way. I like this photograph very much. But I think I'd try to work out this V-like incidence of light and darken the sky a bit. This could lead to a more sculptural picture. I'd try the following post processing:
  1. Darken the whole image a little bit.
  2. Digital gradations from the left and right bottom corners to lower third middle of the image strengthen the V-shadow in the rock
  3. Dodge the brighter yellow red areas (local adjustment)
Just an idea. Sorry if it isn't possible to understand my brief description.
04-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #8887

This is how it looked to me so I tried to process to match that look. I think photos much darker than this can be hard to view and especially hard to print so I was keeping those things in mind too.
I do like the image as it is and this is your visualization of how the subject looked and your interpretation.

But I do think it could look a lot stronger by being quite a bit darker. Had a quick play and boosted colour and also lowered tone by curves - I like the look particularly how the sunlit rocks in the top third then fade to much darker mysteries below - the moon, well I would take artistic licence and replace Just a different interpretation that you may want to consider
04-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #8888
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I tried that in LRCC and it only used two of the images. I used to have photomatix which would just merge rather than use tone mapping. I seem to have deleted it from my system as it is no longer there - I so rarely do HDR now.

Here are two more from later that evening, but before the moonlit shots:

2. Taken from beyond the broken bush you can see above as are the moonlit shots upthread:

Water in the first one looks like mercury...excellent pastel colours...

04-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #8889
Site Supporter

Some more from yesterday evening:

All with the Z and 28 - 45...
Please forgive me for asking this but could you show us a quick Jpeg version pre-PP and then a general idea of how you processed the shots to achieve the final look?

Thanks in anticipation....
Bob
04-22-2016, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #8890
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
Please forgive me for asking this but could you show us a quick Jpeg version pre-PP and then a general idea of how you processed the shots to achieve the final look?

Thanks in anticipation....
Bob
I'll give it a go.

This is an exported jpeg with everything reset to default:

It looks fairly flat, which is quite typical for a 645Z shot. The actual light is pretty similar to the finished photo. I have the huelight camera calibration, and selected high contrast, which gets me to here:

I often select Auto Tone just to see what LR decides it will do. It bleaches out the sky - the moon is blown completely, and I want some detail to be left in the moon if possible. I also want some contrast in the sky - as it appears in the actual sky as the light is behind me. I set some highlight recovery, reduce whites a tad, add a little bit of clarity and vibrancy - about 14 in each and then export to PSCC. Here I use Viveza to add some structure and a bit of general contrast. I still find that I am losing detail in the moon so I selected the sky and did a small amount of correction using shadows/highlights to make the sky closer to what it looked like.

I don't spend long in PP. This editing took maybe 4/5 mins at most, and that is longer than I generally spend because I was keen to get the sky right. I'm not a stickler for complete authenticity, but I like to keep it believable. I usually know the kind of look I'm going for - I find it hard to describe what, I just go by feeling as to what feels right. I don't like the over processed look.

It was a contrasty scene yet the 645Z will tend to make it quite flat SOOC. You can see the main ingredients there, but you do need to cook the ingredients - carefully simmering, never overcooking them (IMHO). The elements of colour and contrast are there they just have to be coaxed out.

There are no right or wrong answers of course others might edit differently. I enjoy shooting, I enjoy coaxing out the potential of the shot - note that what I see on the LCD post shot is a processed jpg which on the long long moonlit shot actually wasn't a world away from my finished edited raw. I have this in mind when going through the shots, though they look different on upload to what I see on the LCD. I hate spending hours in front of the computer getting fiddly with images. For this reason, I am bad at housekeeping on my storage. I try and find the images I think were the best during shooting and process these first. I try and delete as many as I can that I know are not keepers, but when I find something that like, I get distracted. It's like seeing a shiny jewel amongst the gravel. As a result I don't delete enough failed images...

Hope that helps...
04-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #8891
Site Supporter

I'll give it a go.

.....snip......

Hope that helps...
It'll help a great deal thank you. Reading here and elsewhere, I grabbed the Huelight profiles when I picked up the 645Z and I'm happy with the imrovements over the Adobe standard version. I've spent 40 years shooting 35mm and exclusively Canon in the digital era so the PP has become a little too habitual based on that.

Cheers
Bob
04-23-2016, 01:05 AM - 21 Likes   #8892
Site Supporter

from tonight's full moonrise:

Brentwood Moonrise
645Z & 67 M*300/4 + 67 1.4x TC

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-28-2016 at 12:15 PM.
04-23-2016, 04:12 AM - 5 Likes   #8893
Pentaxian

Some recent Sydney images with 645Z and the 28-45:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
04-23-2016, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #8894
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Some recent Sydney images with 645Z and the 28-45:

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
I love visual rhymes, as in shot 2
04-23-2016, 04:44 AM - 6 Likes   #8895

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

More from the top of Oz

645D with the A35mm

And yes the water is that colour around here.