Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #1336
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. Interesting use of that wide angle.

Bold, it looks like you might have got the camera wet. Well, the advantage of DIY is you don't have to wait and you can use other developers than what a lab would use. I can't use those curly films. And dare I say they seem more trouble than they are worth.
i agree and i won't order more but i have some left hanging around. back to ilford films for me i think
the ilfosol3 was not the first choice but they are always out of rodinal when i go in so i grabbed an easy developer to get started
plastic bag on the camera so it's ok

02-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #1337
Inactive Account

More stuff from the latest roll with P67II and 105/2.4...

Tomorrow I'll hopefully show some Fomapan 400 for ya! The negatives look very good, but I have no idea about the grain and tonality yet.
02-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #1338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote

Tomorrow I'll hopefully show some Fomapan 400 for ya! The negatives look very good, but I have no idea about the grain and tonality yet.
Nice work Makten. The exposure on the bicycle shot looks great to me. You seem to do a great job with the texture you capture with that B&W.
02-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #1339
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Nice work Makten. The exposure on the bicycle shot looks great to me. You seem to do a great job with the texture you capture with that B&W.

I second that, all your 67 shots seems to be coming along very nicely.

I am waiting for mine to arrive. I have already received the 55mm - I was expecting a big lens but still I was surprise at the size so I am waiting for the body, the 90mm, 200mm and 75mm shift to show up before taking a few hours all by myself and go shooting.

Cheers,

Luc

02-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #1340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote

I am waiting for mine to arrive. I have already received the 55mm - I was expecting a big lens but still I was surprise at the size so I am waiting for the body, the 90mm, 200mm and 75mm shift to show up before taking a few hours all by myself and go shooting.

Cheers,

Luc
I'm still looking forward to see what you make of it all.
The 55mm is a nice size - I think it suits the body quite well.

I think I am getting a bit more used to the WLF now. Have about 5 rolls of B&W ready to develop so I better get busy!
Luc, maybe you will already be used to this with other cams, but I find that pulling the 6x7 out anywhere public generates a fair bit of interest. I was at a car show yesterday and quite a few people came up and asked about it. A funny one was when someone asked how many megapixels it was!

cheers
02-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #1341
Veteran Member

Original Poster

This is ACROS 100 in a 1933 Voigtlander Rollfilmkamera w/Skopar. This camera was sold as a low price selection, though with up to date shutter and lens, as it was essentially a 1920's style non self-erecting folder. The problem I've had with it, and continue to have now, is that the focal length of the lens doesn't match the distance of the bellows - ie. it focuses past infinity. I'm thinking perhaps the two front and two back elements are too close to each other; I would perhaps unscrew the rear elements a bit? Alternately, there's something wrong with how I pull out the sled, maybe there's a way to pull it out more.

Anyway, in this I set focus to 4m, which should have put the two girls into focus - but the bricks on the building across the pond are in good focus! This next one is at infinity, or close to it - everything is out of focus.

02-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #1342
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote

Super set, the chains shine and I really like those bikes. I look forward to seeing your Foma 400 as I have a love-hate relationship with that film.

02-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #1343
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Thanks! I think that one was shot at 1/30 too, handheld! I really like the handling of the P67II. My only gripe with it is the 90% coverage in the viewfinder, but I can live with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote

I'm looking for a 55 to complement the 75/4.5 and 105/2.4. I really don't need it, but I want it! I've also got the 90/2.8, but I'm selling it because I like the 105 better. It's a very nice lens that is sharp as hell straight from f/2.8, but it vignettes a lot more than the 105 and gives some distortion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Super set, the chains shine and I really like those bikes. I look forward to seeing your Foma 400 as I have a love-hate relationship with that film.
Thanks! I just scanned the roll and processed the first shot, and I think it looks good. Very much like HP5+ actually.

Interestingly enough, the film came out almost completely flat after drying! The base has a turquoise cast and isn't all that clear like Tri-X or Neopan 100, but not much worse than HP5+.
The grain isn't bad at all at ISO 320. I developed in Fomadon R09, 1:50 for 11 minutes with agitation once every minute.
02-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #1344
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow ! More than 100,000 views ! Who said film is dead ?!

Wonderful shots Makten !
Which film did you use for the three ?
Nice contrast with the Foma 400...

Castle of Vianden • Luxembourg

645N • Arsat 30mm • Rollei R3 400 iso in R09 1+40 25 min. @ 20°C
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #1345
Pentaxian

A rough test of the New Portra 400 film's latitude.

These were developed with the normal time and adjusted in Lightroom with sharpening and noise reduction to improve the images from the scan. VueScan didn't have a profile for this film. I had a difficult time balancing them to be the same. I ordered an IT8 target so I could profile the film in the future. The background should be a gray color but it came out more blue. The gray card you can see in the negatives seem to come out more consistent than the background which has a back drop light on it. I think that light needed to be stronger.

On the scans, EI200 was clearly the finest grain and EI1600 was pretty grainy but cleaned up. The shot doesn't have much in the way of shadow detail but you'd certainly start losing it at EI800 and on.

Last edited by tuco; 02-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.
02-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #1346
Veteran Member

holy crap you've sold me Tuco. this will end up being my colour film of choice next order
I had heard a lot of good things about it but this just confirms everything from a trusted source. I think it must derive from some of the insanely high latitude Cinema films Kodak has
02-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #1347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting test, Tuco! I'm impressed at how well it did 2 stops under! I did some tests years ago that persuaded me to set all C-41 films two clicks lower than box speed (i.e. 250 for a ISO 400 film, etc). Better shadow detail, finer grain, and more color saturation.
02-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #1348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dougg Quote
Interesting test, Tuco! I'm impressed at how well it did 2 stops under! I did some tests years ago that persuaded me to set all C-41 films two clicks lower than box speed (i.e. 250 for a ISO 400 film, etc). Better shadow detail, finer grain, and more color saturation.
Thanks. The ironic part is that the data sheet for the film says "at true ISO 400 speed" film but it has the usual daylight exposure table in it that works out per the Sunny 16 rule to be about ISO 200 film (eg Bright Sun 1/500, f11).
02-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #1349
Veteran Member

Thanks. The ironic part is that the data sheet for the film says "at true ISO 400 speed" film but it has the usual daylight exposure table in it that works out per the Sunny 16 rule to be about ISO 200 film (eg Bright Sun 1/500, f11).
That sounds a bit strange... It certainly looks good at ISO 200 though, judging by your results.
Thanks for doing the test Tuco, I appreciate it along with the others. It looks like a versatile film from what you have shown us due to the nice latitude. I'll have to get some next time to try out. Only ever shot <=100 ISO colour on 120 as yet.

cheers
03-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #1350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The ironic part is that the data sheet for the film says "at true ISO 400 speed" film but it has the usual daylight exposure table in it that works out per the Sunny 16 rule to be about ISO 200 film (eg Bright Sun 1/500, f11).
Well, except in mid-summer, I think of it more as "Sunny 13", as I'm right on Latitude 47 degrees North... so it could be that the film exposure table is playing it safe for northern climes!