Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #616
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
As some of you know I use a machine I made to agitate my film. I put in a new profile that does the agitation less aggressively than was posted. It's now 3 inversions in 15 seconds once every minute for 3 minutes and 2 gentle inversions every 3 minutes after that. That produced a negative more in the ball park and with what looks like finer grain too.
This is very close to the agitation pattern I use most of the time with Rodinal and Studional (usually 16 minutes) unless going full stand of course.

But you should really get read of that machine of yours to make development more consistent (I will pay for the shipping of course ).

Cheers,

Luc

11-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #617
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
This is very close to the agitation pattern I use most of the time with Rodinal and Studional (usually 16 minutes) unless going full stand of course.

But you should really get read of that machine of yours to make development more consistent (I will pay for the shipping of course ).

Cheers,

Luc
Ha, sorry, It can't be exported out the US without me first removing the operating system I put on it, seriously. The operating system I used has to be compiled outside the USA and only imported. It can't be exported because the encryption built into the OS is too strong and the US has a "speed limit" on how strong encryption can be going out of the country. It is OpenBSD and the headquarters hails out of Canada.

I didn't put it on for its strong encryption but because I use it in my firewall/router and wireless access point I build, I'm familiar with it, shrinks down to a really compact size and has out-of-the-box support for all the hardware features of that embedded motherboard I used.
11-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #618
Veteran Member

Ha, sorry, It can't be exported out the US without me first removing the operating system I put on it, seriously. The operating system I used has to be compiled outside the USA and only imported. It can't be exported because the encryption built into the OS is too strong and the US has a "speed limit" on how strong encryption can be going out of the country. It is OpenBSD and the headquarters hails out of Canada.

I didn't put it on for its strong encryption but because I use it in my firewall/router and wireless access point I build, I'm familiar with it, shrinks down to a really compact size and has out-of-the-box support for all the hardware features of that embedded motherboard I used.

Point Roberts which is US territory is 1/2 hour drive from our home
and if the manual has been written in Canadian then easy as pie...

Cheers,

Luc
11-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #619

Just a couple from the first roll of my new (to me) Pentax 67, thanks again SMC. Both taken with the 105 @ 2.4 and 1/15s handheld

11-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #620
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j.scooter Quote
Just a couple from the first roll of my new (to me) Pentax 67, thanks again SMC. Both taken with the 105 @ 2.4 and 1/15s handheld
Congrats on your new camera. That is pretty bold to shoot hand held at 1/15s with this camera.

Last edited by tuco; 11-18-2010 at 09:42 AM.
11-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #621
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new camera. That is pretty bold to shoot hand held at 1/15s with this camera.
I will echo Tuco's comments. 1/15 is a pretty good achievement with good results at this size.

Cheers,

Luc
11-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #622
Veteran Member

Original Poster
+1 pretty damn awesome steadiness of hand, plus the photos are excellent

11-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Thanks fs! The first was taken at around 1pm and the second at sunset on the same day. I was actually a bit late for the second picture; ideally I would have been there earlier to lessen the large cold shadow in the foreground... oops. Plus I think a longer lens was needed
Not at all ! It gives a cold carpet for this warn landscape !

QuoteOriginally posted by j.scooter Quote
Nice dof ! What film did you use ?

A view of the Cuillins. Isle of Skye. Agfachrome RSX II 50 ASA.

Mountains and Water from fs999, on Flickr
11-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #624

Honestly, I was expecting much given my skill (I don't shoot my DSLR with IS at 1/15) and the 67s reputation, but I figured that if they came out terribly I could just say that they were "fine art" . This was just a test roll, I was looking for light leaks etc., but, I must say I was quite happy with these 2 shots and feel optimistic about my future relationship with "Big Bertha"

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I will echo Tuco's comments. 1/15 is a pretty good achievement with good results at this size.
Cheers,
Luc
Thanks Luc. I agree, I have viewed them at 100% and they won't hold up to being any bigger.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks Nesster!

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice dof ! What film did you use ?
Thank you fs999. I used Portra 400NC. I had flirted with the idea of pushing it to 1600 but I didn't because I have never pushed Portra and more importantly my local developer doesn't do push/pull processing which meant that I would have to take it into the city, drop it off and pick it up next week. That was entirely too long for me to wait to see the results.
11-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #625
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Not at all ! It gives a cold carpet for this warn landscape !

[center]A view of the Cuillins. Isle of Skye. Agfachrome RSX II 50 ASA.
...snip...
Thanks fs. I think there is some potential at this location, I will have to return sometime soon.

This is a nice shot btw, I really like the extremely wide field of view.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yeah +1, good work on 1/15s! I haven't been brave enough to go that low yet!
Nice to see another new-to-67 user.
11-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #626

Ah, I'm one roll less Constipated I've been doing some Rodinal tests with Acros and had this roll around for a month shooting test subjects on my newly established EI while waiting for it not to rain. I'm working on a sort of semi-stand, 1+100 at, so far, 20 min. This roll was the first after conducting a speed test. It appears my working EI is 160 rounded off to the nearest std ASA. I measured for a density of 0.1 above the film base + fog density for Zone I.

There are so many recipes out there for developing Rodinal. It seems everyone has a different agitation profile too. I used one I got off the net and notice my negatives seemed too dense. So I thought I'd find out. And I was right. So I elected to alter the agitation profile to see if it would bring my speed down ( it was higher) while keeping the time the same. As some of you know I use a machine I made to agitate my film. I put in a new profile that does the agitation less aggressively than was posted. It's now 3 inversions in 15 seconds once every minute for 3 minutes and 2 gentle inversions every 3 minutes after that. That produced a negative more in the ball park and with what looks like finer grain too. So now being only 1/2 stop off from box speed means I really can shoot at either I suppose.

So far my zone V and Zone VIII densities are in the ball park at 0.75 and 1.30. I'm using density targets for a diffusion enlarger. I'm still testing if I'm going to keep the development time the same for and my Zone VIII densities. Here is a test shot using that new EI and agitation profile.

A Drinking Fountain For The Whole Family - Even The Dog!

Acros at 160, do you mean Neopan400? Ive never seen a EI test that goes to a high ISO speed.
Like to see a photo of your agitator
11-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #627
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Isis Quote
Acros at 160, do you mean Neopan400? Ive never seen a EI test that goes to a high ISO speed.
Yes, I mean 100 Acros. Agitate, say, D-76 more aggressively than recommended by Kodak while keeping the time the same and you should see a speed increase of your film at the expense of more contrast (a steeper linear section of the characteristic curve).

QuoteQuote:
Like to see a photo of your agitator
Cut and paste this link into your web browser's URL line and you can watch a video: http://www.vimeo.com/11210854

Otherwise:

Last edited by tuco; 01-05-2011 at 10:30 AM.
11-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow ! I like the logo )
11-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #629

Veery slick, both machine and production.
11-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #630
Veteran Member

Tuco, that is freakin' amazing. You are one headstrong brother!