Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Very nice shot - No.33 in Rome has beautiful colors.
Cheers,

Luc
reversed scan caught it before printing, didn't catch it here lol

11-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #662
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

Ilford Delta 100, D-76 1:1, Kodak Medalist

Hello Jussi,

I have been looking at getting a 6x9 - just for the heck of it - and I was looking at the Fuji GW690 (I have a low bid on eBay). Now you make me rethink this.
Did you send your Medalist for CLA or anything like that?
I was checking a web site that do a general overhaul and covert to 120 for $475 I have been reading about the Medalist (II) and the lens has a hell of a good reputation.

Cheers,

Luc
11-27-2010, 03:16 AM   #663
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Luc, thanks for the comment - I lucked out (though the seller posted a lot of photos) in that everything works beautifully after 65 years, even the case is in good shape. I don't think it will need a CLA soon... apparently a couple of others do the 120 or a partial 120 conversion, including Essex Camera in my neighborhood, so I'd likely have them do so.

But 620 respooling isn't THAT difficult, the main issue is accumulating enough spools to be set for a full day of shooting.

If you can do without a focus aid, I can recommend the Bessa I with Vaskar or Skopar as good landscape 6x9 cameras - or I suppose the equivalent Zeiss Ikons. As soon as you put a range finder on a folder, it seems the value shoots up.

Here's one of my favorite shots, through the train window, with a Bessa I Vaskar, Plus-X in Tmax developer.

11-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #664
Veteran Member

Luc, thanks for the comment - I lucked out (though the seller posted a lot of photos) in that everything works beautifully after 65 years, even the case is in good shape. I don't think it will need a CLA soon... apparently a couple of others do the 120 or a partial 120 conversion, including Essex Camera in my neighborhood, so I'd likely have them do so.

But 620 respooling isn't THAT difficult, the main issue is accumulating enough spools to be set for a full day of shooting.

If you can do without a focus aid, I can recommend the Bessa I with Vaskar or Skopar as good landscape 6x9 cameras - or I suppose the equivalent Zeiss Ikons. As soon as you put a range finder on a folder, it seems the value shoots up.

Here's one of my favorite shots, through the train window, with a Bessa I Vaskar, Plus-X in Tmax developer.

Good to know that Essex is doing that. They have my whole Canon RF set to work on right now. Yes it look slike prices for Bessa 2 are double than Bessa 1...
Of course getting a Medalist for $100 in reasonnable condition and sending it for an overhaul might be an option.

Cheers,

Luc

11-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #665
Pentaxian

Awesome shot! You can get 620 film from Central Camera Company I believe. You could buy a few rolls just to get the spools but that would be an expensive route.
11-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #666
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My year: waiting for the next month to come, then the Second Sunday because that's when the camera show is on... so next weekend is the first of December, that means... I'll be looking for any 620 spools there

Our friend and sponsor, B&H also sells 620 film, cheapest I believe is $10.
11-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #667
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Bluemoon also has 620. According to their Web site, the rolls are "modified", not respooled ???
Used and New Cameras and Equipment for Sale: Blue Moon Camera Inventory

...Acros! Portra! and Ektar! Woo! Hoo!

Steve

11-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Bluemoon also has 620. According to their Web site, the rolls are "modified", not respooled ???
Used and New Cameras and Equipment for Sale: Blue Moon Camera Inventory
...Acros! Portra! and Ektar! Woo! Hoo!

Steve

I have read on RangeFinderForum that it is possible to cut the border of the spool bevel to make it fit. Seems a little bit labor intensive if you use this camera often.

Cheers,

Luc
11-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #669
Veteran Member

Medalist II

Hi Guys,

I just scored a Medalist II (multi coated lens) on eB@y for $122

Estate-fresh. Vintage Kodak Medalist II rangefinder camera in excellent condition. Very clean camera. where everything seems to be intact and working. Shutter fires with satisfying click when cocked. Viewfinder and rangefinder are crystal-clear and work properly. Camera features Kodak Ektar 100mm f:3.5 lens with clean usable optics. Superb camera in great condition.

I doubt the camera is fully as described but the pictures look good.
I will look at having it CLA and maybe converted next year.

Now I hope that my bid on the Fuji GW690 fell thru or I am in trouble.

I am also bringing back from France my Grandpa Zeiss Icarette 551/2. The poor think is in bad shape but if I can have it fixed for sentimental value that would be great

Oh also Karl Bryan has finished working on my Minolta Autocord and is shipping it back on Monday (I posted some photo on the SLR thread). A grand day for me...
I think I will have to sell my Hasselblad 500 CM if I keep my spendings like this

Cheers,

Luc
11-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #670
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I just scored a Medalist II (multi coated lens) on eB@y for $122
So where is the link to the auction so that we can see your new baby?

This Medalist thing is totally getting out of hand. I liked the one I handled some time back, but never thought it would be worth hunting one down to own. Now I see Jussi's photos and realize what a great find they are...even if they do take 620!

Steve
11-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #671
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So where is the link to the auction so that we can see your new baby?

This Medalist thing is totally getting out of hand. I liked the one I handled some time back, but never thought it would be worth hunting one down to own. Now I see Jussi's photos and realize what a great find they are...even if they do take 620!

Steve

Here it is
Vintage Kodak MEDALIST II rangefinder camera. NR on eBay.ca (item 280592366048 end time 27-Nov-10 22:00:40 EST)

I wasn't sure that the forum etiquette let you post to eb@y.

Now I would hardly call a 3 pounds solid angular metal camera a "baby"

Cheers,

Luc
11-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #672
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Luc, Congratulations and what a beautiful camera you found - and it's in my front yard so to speak, in NYC too It looks like both of ours are from the same year, 1945, as the lens serial numbers start with ER. Goes to show Kodak was in fact manufacturing both models simultaneously. My lens has a 3 digit number so maybe that is significant or not.

The only pic I worry a little about is the one with the back removed - it looks like maybe there's a film mask missing or something - I would take a pic of mine but there's film in it (till tonight anyway)...

Re snipping 120 spindles to 620 size - it's doable and not much harder than clipping toenails, using the same tools as you would to clip your toenails, but the one time I did it I got inconclusive results: the spool fit a Kodak Duaflex II but it became progressively harder to advance the film, I got blisters on my fingers and resorted to using a velvet-covered pair of pliers on the advance knob. I probably won't try this again.
11-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #673
Veteran Member

Luc, Congratulations and what a beautiful camera you found - and it's in my front yard so to speak, in NYC too It looks like both of ours are from the same year, 1945, as the lens serial numbers start with ER. Goes to show Kodak was in fact manufacturing both models simultaneously. My lens has a 3 digit number so maybe that is significant or not.

The only pic I worry a little about is the one with the back removed - it looks like maybe there's a film mask missing or something - I would take a pic of mine but there's film in it (till tonight anyway)...

Re snipping 120 spindles to 620 size - it's doable and not much harder than clipping toenails, using the same tools as you would to clip your toenails, but the one time I did it I got inconclusive results: the spool fit a Kodak Duaflex II but it became progressively harder to advance the film, I got blisters on my fingers and resorted to using a velvet-covered pair of pliers on the advance knob. I probably won't try this again.
Hello Jussi,

I had checked with a pic of another Medalist II in very good condition (from a web page) and it looks pretty much the same see the pic attached.
Thanks for the info on the year, could you please let me know where you found this info so that I can have a look also.

On the practical aspect of sniping the spool. I am more inclined to have the conversion done if the camera is in good mechanical and optical shape at least on the feeding side.
I will buy a few 620 rolls to test the camera.
EDIT: I ordered from B&H a couple of PanX and TriX respooled

We will see how it turns out. When I got my Autocord I was lucky to get one with a very sharp lens with very high resolution.
If this happen to be the same, then it would be worth it to have the work done.

Cheers,

Luc
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Luc/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]

Last edited by lbenac; 12-18-2010 at 08:39 AM.
11-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #674
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Luc, yes, I just opened mine and though the I has fewer doodads attached, it does look similar, so you're good to go

Google CAMEROSITY or Kodak serial number date code. Essentially, 1=C, 2=A etc, E being #4 and R being #5 in the word = 1945.
11-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #675
Veteran Member

Luc, yes, I just opened mine and though the I has fewer doodads attached, it does look similar, so you're good to go

Google CAMEROSITY or Kodak serial number date code. Essentially, 1=C, 2=A etc, E being #4 and R being #5 in the word = 1945.

Hello Jussi,

Thanks I found that information on the net so the lens was build in 1945 and the camera sometime after.
More questions if you do not mind:
1) Do you know what is the size of the filter thread - series VI can be about anything in regards of the filter thread the only standard is that the filter is 40 or 40.5 mm?
2) Likewise is the tripod socket standard size? Are you using a quick release or anything like it or just shooting hand-held?

Cheers,

Luc