Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35479 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #1441
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frederic et Luc, merci

I thought the bokeh was surprisingly smooth. Maybe the larger format helps here? Really I'm guessing. But I'm really happy with the performance of the lens.

I'll have to try a software B&W conversion on that shot soon.
The shift lens results look fine to me! Sorry, no tips on usage coming from me anytime soon

cheers,
Jason

03-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #1442

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
One more from the newly acquired Pentax 75/4.5 Shift.

If anybody knows all the tips and tricks of this lens, just let me know.

Cheers,

Luc
Very nice image Luc!

Re use of the 75mm shift lens. As I mentioned, I have this lens also but haven't actually gotten out to use it yet (though I may soon....you've inspired me).

I bought the 75mm shift lens for my P67 to use in the same way I use the lateral left/right shifts and vertical rise/fall of my view cameras. I will be leveling the P67 and then if I'd like to reposition a subject in the image (say to get more of the top of a building than I'd otherwise be able to get, without resorting to tilting the camera upwards), I will be able to use the vertical rise/fall (shift) of the lens instead. Same would apply if I wanted to get more of my subject on the left or right into the image frame, without having to swing the camera to the left or right. Obviously, tilting the camera up/down or swinging it left/right will change the perspective, while employing the movements of the shift lens will not.

That, in a nutshell, is how I plan to use it and why I purchased it.....aside from the fact that the standard 75mm f4.5 lens is one of my favorites for the Pentax 67.

Thanks again for sharing your photos and I look forward to seeing more. Hope to post a few of mine here soon....just as quickly as I can get out there and take a few shots with it.

Gary
Alaska
03-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #1443
Pentaxian

One more from the newly acquired Pentax 75/4.5 Shift.

If anybody knows all the tips and tricks of this lens, just let me know.

Cheers,

Luc
Good to see you're getting some shots with the new lens.

It only has two tricks up its sleeve. Horizontal and vertical shits up to 20mm ( plus rotates 360 degrees). Like I said before you can only correct geometry by tilting the film plane so the camera has to be level to prevent converging or diverging lines. But even if you do have to angle the camera up a little to get in a tall subject, the shift plus using the perspective correction in, say, Lightroom will fix what little convergence that remains without having to crop much.

The horizontal shift could be employed in, say, a situation where you don't want you and the camera's reflection showing up in a window or something. You could move off to the side and aim the camera parallel to the window and shift it horizontally, for example.
03-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #1444
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Good to see you're getting some shots with the new lens.

It only has two tricks up its sleeve. Horizontal and vertical shits up to 20mm ( plus rotates 360 degrees). Like I said before you can only correct geometry by tilting the film plane so the camera has to be level to prevent converging or diverging lines. But even if you do have to angle the camera up a little to get in a tall subject, the shift plus using the perspective correction in, say, Lightroom will fix what little convergence that remains without having to crop much.

The horizontal shift could be employed in, say, a situation where you don't want you and the camera's reflection showing up in a window or something. You could move off to the side and aim the camera parallel to the window and shift it horizontally, for example.

So a vertical shift at an angle of let say 30 degree from vertical would be to correct the vertical perspective only and slightly "move" the point of view to the side as you describe?
The horizontal perspective or geometry - as a result of not been exactly parallel to a building could only be corrected by a tilt of the film plane (large format) or maybe also by a tilt of the front plane (tilt lens)?

Cheers,

Luc

03-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #1445
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bensonga Quote
Very nice image Luc!

Re use of the 75mm shift lens. As I mentioned, I have this lens also but haven't actually gotten out to use it yet (though I may soon....you've inspired me).

I bought the 75mm shift lens for my P67 to use in the same way I use the lateral left/right shifts and vertical rise/fall of my view cameras. I will be leveling the P67 and then if I'd like to reposition a subject in the image (say to get more of the top of a building than I'd otherwise be able to get, without resorting to tilting the camera upwards), I will be able to use the vertical rise/fall (shift) of the lens instead. Same would apply if I wanted to get more of my subject on the left or right into the image frame, without having to swing the camera to the left or right. Obviously, tilting the camera up/down or swinging it left/right will change the perspective, while employing the movements of the shift lens will not.

That, in a nutshell, is how I plan to use it and why I purchased it.....aside from the fact that the standard 75mm f4.5 lens is one of my favorites for the Pentax 67.

Thanks again for sharing your photos and I look forward to seeing more. Hope to post a few of mine here soon....just as quickly as I can get out there and take a few shots with it.

Gary
Alaska

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the explanation between yourself and Tuco, I think that I understand better the use of the lens. For some reason, I understood the vertical shift, the horizontal shift but I have trouble figuring out the effect of the positions in between.
Now I guess that it might be missing the tilt action in addition of the shift action.
What LF are you using if I may ask?

Cheers,

Luc
03-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #1446
Pentaxian

So a vertical shift at an angle of let say 30 degree from vertical would be to correct the vertical perspective only and slightly "move" the point of view to the side as you describe?
You can't correct convergence/divergence with your 6x7 by aiming it up or down from level. You only make things worse. 30° from vertical would be 60° from horizontal (level - that's a lot) Even a 30° tilt up from level could cause a lot of distortion with a 75mm focal length for a tall building. A shift-lens really doesn't "correct geometry", per se. What it allows you to do is keep the camera level for good geometry and move the scene around from the shifting for a more desirable composition, I'd say.

What I was implying by saying you could tilt the camera a little is that if you had to aim a non-shift lens up say 30° to bring in a building for where you were standing that with the shift lens at the same location you'd could get away with tilting the camera a lot less producing just a little line convergence in your shot that could be easily corrected with software. When you correct it with software, you end up having to corp the picture. And that can be a big crop depending on how much you had to correct. If you didn't leave enough room for the crop while taking the picture, you might not get away with a full software correction at all.

QuoteQuote:
The horizontal perspective or geometry - as a result of not been exactly parallel to a building could only be corrected by a tilt of the film plane (large format) or maybe also by a tilt of the front plane (tilt lens)?

Cheers,

Luc
No, not in this case if the camera is level. You'd need a rotation of the film plane to get it parallel to the subject. If the camera was not level then, yes, a tilt and rotation would be needed to get the film plane parallel to the subject's plane.

Front tilt of the lens affects where the lens is aimed and the plane of focus. It doesn't do anything for altering geometry by itself.

Last edited by tuco; 03-16-2011 at 10:43 AM.
03-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #1447
Veteran Member

A shit-lens really doesn't "correct geometry", per se.
LMAO I love unintentional Typos I'm guessing a good lens suffers the same issues

03-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #1448
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LMAO I love unintentional Typos I'm guessing a good lens suffers the same issues
What do you mean?
03-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #1449
Veteran Member

What do you mean?
so shit lens was intentional then, i always heard it was a pretty good lens
03-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #1450
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
so shit lens was intentional then, i always heard it was a pretty good lens
Oops,
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #1451
Veteran Member

hey it happens to all of us (my iPhone has provided a number of hysterical examples of autocorrect)
03-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #1452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Canyon
Attached Images

03-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #1453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More medium format foxes. Shot with E200 at 600ISO. Film five years out of date! Original is very brownish.
Pentax 645NII with the 150-300/5.6 lens. Hand-held. Image cropped.
Attached Images

03-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #1454
Veteran Member

2 very nice shots Pal

"Film five years out of date! Original is very brownish" nice job on the Scanning then
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #1455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is spooky - both foxes giving you the same look!

Nice shot.