Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35479 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #1831
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Damn, crap, there's some sharp photography here. Makes me realize what a struggle 35mm is compared to MF.

05-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #1832
Inactive Account

That's very low distortion tuco! Looks good. I found the Pentax 6x7 55/4 to have very low distortion also, which was a surprise.

By the way, would you mind telling us about your downscaling and sharpening method? You seem to get very "crisp" results without any halos or anything. Nice!
05-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #1833
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The obligatory brick wall when you have an new wide angle lens. It was a little softer on the edges. The geometry looked okay. Those not familiar with the 50mm FLE, it has two focus rings. You set the floating element to one of four focus ranges on one ring and perform your final focus as usual. Anything beyond 4 meters focus is one range. Closer and you'll have to focus to determine distance, set the FLE and focus again.

Zeiss Distagon CF T* FLE 50mm f4, 100 Acros, PMK Pyro

That is one lens that would love to own, just so that it keeps company to my CF 60/3.5. I can see myself spending endless hours combing beaches for floatsam and other interesting close/infinity compositions.
BTW Tuco, I cannot see the bigger picture, I am sent to a restrcited area instead of the picture.

Cheers,

Luc
05-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #1834
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
That's very low distortion tuco! Looks good. I found the Pentax 6x7 55/4 to have very low distortion also, which was a surprise.

By the way, would you mind telling us about your downscaling and sharpening method? You seem to get very "crisp" results without any halos or anything. Nice!
I have the SMC Pentax 67 55mm generation and really like it too.

I import a TIFF-DNG scan to Lightroom, perform initial exposure adjustments there, export that to Photoshop with Lightroom rendering to use Photoshop's healing tool, make any local adjustments if necessary, return to Lightroom where I may crop/level/further adjust the shot and perform sharpening there. If you hold down the option key (Mac) while setting radius, detail and masking you get a nice aid to that. This is all done at scan size and then I just export to screen display with longest dimension as 1024 with either standard or high sharpening option.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
That is one lens that would love to own, just so that it keeps company to my CF 60/3.5. I can see myself spending endless hours combing beaches for floatsam and other interesting close/infinity compositions.
BTW Tuco, I cannot see the bigger picture, I am sent to a restrcited area instead of the picture.

Cheers,

Luc
You are looking at the original, full-size image I uploaded to Flickr.

05-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #1835
Veteran Member

I have the SMC Pentax 67 55mm generation and really like it too.

I import a TIFF-DNG scan to Lightroom, perform initial exposure adjustments there, export that to Photoshop with Lightroom rendering to use Photoshop's healing tool, make any local adjustments if necessary, return to Lightroom where I may crop/level/further adjust the shot and perform sharpening there. If you hold down the option key (Mac) while setting radius, detail and masking you get a nice aid to that. This is all done at scan size and then I just export to screen display with longest dimension as 1024 with either standard or high sharpening option.

You are looking at the original, full-size image I uploaded to Flickr.

For some reason it does not show the Flickr image at all.
05-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #1836
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
For some reason it does not show the Flickr image at all.
It's marked private. It's not worthy of being on my stream.
05-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #1837
Pentaxian

Tuco; concerning your 50 Distagon and brick wall, you said "it was a little softer on the edges". Since DOF is spherical, flat surface tests can be misleading if you are shooting wide open or close to it. The corners of the wall will be further from the film than the center and can give the appearance of a lens with soft edges, when it is possible that the edges of the wall are actually behind your focus slightly. I've seen this in my close up work.

05-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #1838
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Tuco; concerning your 50 Distagon and brick wall, you said "it was a little softer on the edges". Since DOF is spherical, flat surface tests can be misleading if you are shooting wide open or close to it. The corners of the wall will be further from the film than the center and can give the appearance of a lens with soft edges, when it is possible that the edges of the wall are actually behind your focus slightly. I've seen this in my close up work.
I picked the middle aperture, f11. It has a f4-f32 range. Thanks for that explanation.
05-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #1839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the Brazilians better too. But why convert color slide film to BW?
Hi Tuco, thanks! Because I disliked the outcome of the scanning of the slide.... Colours were too much off, and I wasn't able to repair it... . I think Fuji Provia is not the best for skin tones (and there are some in that particular capture....)
05-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #1840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Hi Tuco, thanks! Because I disliked the outcome of the scanning of the slide.... Colours were too much off, and I wasn't able to repair it... . I think Fuji Provia is not the best for skin tones (and there are some in that particular capture....)
I see. That's most unfortunate. But it looks good in BW too.

Last edited by tuco; 05-22-2011 at 09:51 AM.
05-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #1841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see. That's must unfortunate. But it looks good in BW too.
Yeah... but thanks! I think it has a lot to do with my scanning skills, because the slide looks ok to me......
05-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #1842
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Yeah... but thanks! I think it has a lot to do with my scanning skills, because the slide looks ok to me......
Sometimes I wonder if I'm just trading time cleaning dust off with BW with trying to get the color right with color film. I've only done a few positive film scans and they were Ektachrome. The scanning software had a profile for it and they were much easier to scan than negative color film.

Have you looked at the ColorPerfect plugin for Photoshop? If your scanning software can do a linear RAW scan, it looks promising. I tried the demo but it's really rough on the Mac version. And the developer still makes the user read too much on the installation and hand put files here and there for charging you money for it when it seems logical that the software should be doing this stuff. And if you have a Mac, the instructions constantly whine that everything on that system is weird and he can't do this or that but yet everyone else who sells software for that platform seems to figure it out.
05-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #1843
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And the developer still makes the user read too much on the installation and hand put files here and there for charging you money for it when it seems logical that the software should be doing this stuff.
He probably has a *nix background!

Steve
05-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #1844
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
He probably has a *nix background!

Steve
No, Windows. If he had any UNIX, I think he wouldn't have so much trouble. For example, in today's unix-like systems, most configuration information is written as hidden files in the user's home directory. Same with the Mac except it is often ~/Library/Preferences/ where you create a directory there, read, write and manage files that control config stuff.

When I was trying it he didn't have a built-in profile for the New Portra 400 film but he posted the RGB gammas for you to drop in a file the software would read. The Windows version could be any file name as long as it was in a certain directory. But the Mac version had to be a specific file name and he passed that off has it had to be that way and couldn't even tell you where that file was to be placed.

Now why the software simply doesn't prompt the user to enter the info and automatically save it for you is a mystery. Maybe writing plugins for Photoshop are in a some kind of sandbox with limited IO capabilities.

Last edited by tuco; 05-22-2011 at 11:10 AM.
05-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #1845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just trading time cleaning dust off with BW with trying to get the color right with color film. I've only done a few positive film scans and they were Ektachrome. The scanning software had a profile for it and they were much easier to scan than negative color film.

Have you looked at the ColorPerfect plugin for Photoshop? If your scanning software can do a linear RAW scan, it looks promising. I tried the demo but it's really rough on the Mac version. And the developer still makes the user read too much on the installation and hand put files here and there for charging you money for it when it seems logical that the software should be doing this stuff. And if you have a Mac, the instructions constantly whine that everything on that system is weird and he can't do this or that but yet everyone else who sells software for that platform seems to figure it out.
No, no RAW scans here.... But I'm looking into Vuescan right now, and that software is able to produce RAW scans, I think. I was used to shoot Fuji Provia, and looking back, I see I have some great results with these, even the scans are great! But probably skin tones are rendered not good.... Too much saturated, or something like that, and when one underexposes..... Don't know... But I will look for ColorPerfect, thanks for that!