Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35486 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #2071

its kodak ektar 100, b&h has it for $3.79 a roll also idk if you guys are into slide film but fuji astia is a great film if you can find it

06-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #2072
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
Ah, nice shots everyone!

I just scanned some Ektar again, with even better result than last time. The developer seems a bit worn though, because now I'm at 4 minutes developing time and I still don't get very dense negatives. I'll do a few more rolls and then scrap the chems and get a new kit. It has been really fun and challenging so far!
Sweet. That fern is really nice.
06-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #2073
Pentaxian

Trying out a new lens. Steve can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the first one is a 1961 Chevy truck with a 1950 GMC panel truck in the background.

Zeiss Makro-Planar CF T* 120mm f4, New Portra 160, Jobo C-41 Press Kit

06-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #2074
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sharpness looks outstanding Tuco. My favourite would be your first one, the background of the clouds provides a nice finish to a great all round shot. Fantastic colour too!

06-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #2075
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Steve can correct me if I'm wrong
...Ha! Ha!

Great photos, though I don't know anything about Chevy/GMC trucks!

Steve
06-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #2076
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You finally took the plunge in heavy debt and got the 120 Makro
First shots seems everything it should be on a small image - please do tell on a large print. If you have a chance and the desire, could you check this lens against the 150 at infinity? Some people say that it is great as a landscape lens at infinity some people says that the 150 gives better results.

On my way to Tofino this week with the 4x5 set-up and the two Fuji 6x9 as back-up. Based on the weather, It looks like I won't be able to use either

Cheers,

Luc

Trying out a new lens. Steve can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the first one is a 1961 Chevy truck with a 1950 GMC panel truck in the background.

06-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #2077
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Sharpness looks outstanding Tuco. My favourite would be your first one, the background of the clouds provides a nice finish to a great all round shot. Fantastic colour too!
Thanks. This film scans real easy. So far everyone I've done takes very little color adjustment even though I don't have a profile for it in the scanning software. The New Portra 400, on the other hand, I have a much harder time with getting the color half-way correct. Go figure.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...Ha! Ha!

Great photos, though I don't know anything about Chevy/GMC trucks!

Steve
Thanks. I guess these don't have the lure of the older classics to want to know much about them.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
First shots seems everything it should be on a small image - please do tell on a large print. If you have a chance and the desire, could you check this lens against the 150 at infinity? Some people say that it is great as a landscape lens at infinity some people says that the 150 gives better results.

On my way to Tofino this week with the 4x5 set-up and the two Fuji 6x9 as back-up. Based on the weather, It looks like I won't be able to use either

Cheers,

Luc
I just got back from a trip to Alaska. I believe I did use the lens on a landscape but it was more a crop section of landscape instead of the vast distant kind. The lens only goes to a 1:4.5 magnification for a macro making an extension tube necessary for 1:1 and closer. But it should do fine for full face portrait work.

The trip was a disaster photographic wise. I went with my parents to visit a relative. I was at the mercy of their schedule. I could only do road side photography or shots at places we were going. I kept thinking of your post about using your 4x5 with the wife and dog along

Last edited by tuco; 06-26-2011 at 07:45 AM.
06-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #2078
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I hope the weather cooperates for you. Tofino is such a treasure chest for photography. I am looking forward to what you bring back from the 4x5!

Steve
06-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #2079
Veteran Member

Cheers,

Luc
Looking forward to seeing your shots too, hope the weather clears up OK.

Thanks. This film scans real easy. So far everyone I've done takes very little color adjustment even though I don't have a profile for it in the scanning software. The New Portra 400, on the other hand, I have a much harder time with getting the color half-way correct. Go figure.

I just got back from a trip to Alaska. I believe I did use the lens on a landscape but it was more a crop section of landscape instead of the vast distant kind. The lens only goes to a 1:4.5 magnification for a macro making an extension tube necessary for 1:1 and closer. But it should do fine for full face portrait work.

The trip was a disaster photographic wise. I went with my parents to visit a relative. I was at the mercy of their schedule. I could only do road side photography or shots at places we were going. I kept thinking of your post about using your 4x5 with the wife and dog along
I think I will need to get some of this Portra 160. I haven't had much luck at all with the new 400 yet, but have another exposed roll here to check out soon.

Alaska... Over here it is marketed almost as a dream holiday location; glaciers mountains and ship cruises. Much the same as Canada
I'm sure we are all familiar with that sort of trip, where you just can't spend the time on photography that you would really like to.
06-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #2080
Pentaxian

Trying out the New Portra 160 in a landscape with some unknown lake in Chugach National Forest, Alaska, along Portage Glacier Road.

The mosquitos hounded me so bad that I shot this and got the heck out of there. I wanted to go over to those trees on the far end and do some BW work. But I was wearing short pants and became breakfast for a swarm of them. I was so distracted that I didn't even notice that plant in the lower left that could have easily been composed out of the picture.

Sadly, this was the last shot with the 50mm. The pin on the lens broke that trips the shutter on it. I hope I can get it fixed.

Zeiss Distagon CF T* FLE 50mm f4, New Portra 160, Jobo C-41 Press Kit

Last edited by tuco; 06-26-2011 at 02:13 PM.
06-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #2081
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Alaska... Over here it is marketed almost as a dream holiday location; glaciers mountains and ship cruises. Much the same as Canada
...and much the same as the South Island in NZ.

Steve
06-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #2082
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was so distracted that I didn't even notice that plant in the lower left that could have easily been composed out of the picture.
Photoshop is our friend!!!

Beautiful shot regardless! Too bad about the bugs, but at least they were not landing on the front element of your lens. I once had to suspend a photo session for that reason.

Steve
06-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #2083
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Photoshop is our friend!!!

Beautiful shot regardless! Too bad about the bugs, but at least they were not landing on the front element of your lens. I once had to suspend a photo session for that reason.

Steve
Thanks. I gave some thought to cloning it out but it overlapped the tree reflection and it looked like too much work. So I left it there as a reminder to also bring long pants along. But if I do more with it than post it online then I'll fix it.
06-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #2084
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

645d 55-110 f5.6
06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #2085
Pentaxian

Another attempt at developing two different brands of film in the same tank with stand development and Rodinal. So far the increased agitation profile I tried last time seems to be working okay.

The Salty Dawg Saloon in Homer, Alaska, had the entire interior covered with one-dollar bills placed there by patrons who usually wrote their name and home town on them. And if they didn't have a buck to spare, it looks like they would carve it on the wall or write it on the pool table light.

Zeiss Distagon CF T* FLE 50mm f4, Fuji 100 Acros, Rodinal 1+100 Stand

Last edited by tuco; 06-26-2011 at 09:07 PM.