Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #3256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fabian628 Quote
Pleasantly surprised by some expired XP2 400

Developed in 1+19 LC29 little bit longer than hp5+. Film came out of fixer looking un fixed but dried clear.

stray dog following me while shooting landscapes

55mm f/4
I like the dog shot. It has emotion.

Last edited by tuco; 05-18-2012 at 11:27 AM.
05-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #3257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep coming back here regularly to visualize those great shots taken with medium format cams and each time I am still pleasantly stunned !

My son, in Vancouver, B.C., still wants to get a film Hasselblad.
He has a Pentax (film) and a Nikon (D ... whatever), so he is used to both media.
I just wonder if he will have to sell his car to get the lenses for an Hassy!

JP
05-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #3258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I keep coming back here regularly to visualize those great shots taken with medium format cams and each time I am still pleasantly stunned !

He has a Pentax (film) and a Nikon (D ... whatever), so he is used to both media.

JP
Unless he is planning on a digital back for the hassie he can get all the joy of using one for a lot less

Bronica SQai for instance shoots 6x6, has some absolutely fantastic lenses and a 3 lens kit (wide normal portrait) with 3 backs can probably be put together for the price of a hassy with 1 lens and back

if he settles for 645 he can do even better buy shopping. My ETRsi kit consists of 3 backs, a light meter, prism and WL finder, body and 40mm,50mm,75mm,150mm whole deal i spent about $800 buy shopping carefully. New the PE75 lens was $2200

You can find a back plate to adapt to digital but i never bothered

Edit: - I should add the Bronica ETRSi, SQAI and GS1 were the most compact system cameras in their respective formats (645,6x6,6x7)
05-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #3259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Unless he is planning on a digital back for the hassie he can get all the joy of using one for a lot less

Bronica SQai for instance shoots 6x6, has some absolutely fantastic lenses and a 3 lens kit (wide normal portrait) with 3 backs can probably be put together for the price of a hassy with 1 lens and back

if he settles for 645 he can do even better buy shopping. My ETRsi kit consists of 3 backs, a light meter, prism and WL finder, body and 40mm,50mm,75mm,150mm whole deal i spent about $800 buy shopping carefully. New the PE75 lens was $2200

You can find a back plate to adapt to digital but i never bothered

Edit: - I should add the Bronica ETRSi, SQAI and GS1 were the most compact system cameras in their respective formats (645,6x6,6x7)
Thanks for the info, Eddie.

If you don't mind, I will email the link to this page here so he can see for himself what you have posted.

I am a bit suspicious that since one of his friends uses an Hasselblad, and the pics are fantastic, that he has now taken an influenced liking to this particular brand!
Of course, I don't think he has browsed into the Pentax, Bronica, et al world of medium format gear yet.

Cheers.

JP

05-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #3260
Pentaxian

JP
Zeiss lenses for the Hasselblad can command a high price if you get the CFi generation. The C and CF T* generations, however, are more affordable but still higher compared to many others brands. And surly you can spend way more on Nikon's better lenses for digital.
05-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3261
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, Eddie.

If you don't mind, I will email the link to this page here so he can see for himself what you have posted.

I am a bit suspicious that since one of his friends uses an Hasselblad, and the pics are fantastic, that he has now taken an influenced liking to this particular brand!
Of course, I don't think he has browsed into the Pentax, Bronica, et al world of medium format gear yet.

Cheers.

JP

Brand should be the lowest concern (reality is even the Soviet medium formats are capable of good performance)
Bronica ETR and SQ series were workhorses of the wedding trade for ages. the ETRsi and SQai are more advanced bodies that allow metered prisms (and they will be newer so more reliable) they also allow ttl flash if you have the metered prism and appropriate flash cor for metz or quantum (I have a metz potato masher that was part of the kit i forgot to mention - but since i never bought a metered prism never went the ttl route, just do it the old school way)

Bronica is cheap primarily because tamron shut the brand down at the beginning of the digital age since they had no AF system and they weren't prepared to develop that way (or couldn't afford to)
Digital killed a couple of otherwise vry good brands - Contax is another though there is no such thing as an affordable contax Medium format - it was the DSLR that killed Contax, ultimately if they didn't screw that one so badly i think they would still be around as a partner for phase or leaf

the Pentax stuff is also amazing (no interchangeable backs though so no flipping between b/w and slide or different iso films ) Lenses for the Pentax have climbed pretty dramatically since the 645D came out (I considered the 645 Pentax but wanted the back system so i could be ready for colour or b/w)
05-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #3262
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
thanks

More sand dunes. Every time I'm in this area I stop by.

Sand Dunes, Dunes City, Oregon

M7II, 65mm, 100TMX, Y2 Yellow Filter, PMK Pyro, Pentax Spotmeter
that first tree really sticks out of the frame

05-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #3263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Brand should be the lowest concern (reality is even the Soviet medium formats are capable of good performance)
Bronica ETR and SQ series were workhorses of the wedding trade for ages. the ETRsi and SQai are more advanced bodies that allow metered prisms (and they will be newer so more reliable) they also allow ttl flash if you have the metered prism and appropriate flash cor for metz or quantum (I have a metz potato masher that was part of the kit i forgot to mention - but since i never bought a metered prism never went the ttl route, just do it the old school way)
I totally agree. And used MF film stuff is so cheap now.
Just a nit pick, but you don't need to move all the way up to the ETRsi and SQai to used metered prisms. Both the ETRs and SQ-a work fine with metered prisms.
05-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #3264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are two shots I took this winter with my 6X7.

Pentax 6X7+Battery extension, SMC 67 4.5/75, T-max 400, Epson V750

Pentax 6X7, Super-Takumar 6X7 2.4/105, Kodak Portra 400 NC, (handheld and very low light), Epson V750

See some more here at my flickr account. Welcome: Pentax 6X7 & 67 II - a set on Flickr
05-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #3265

Same here. Also looks a bit like from another time. Nice shot!
05-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #3266
Inactive Account

P645+120/4 Zeiss
05-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #3267
Pentaxian

645D + DFA 25/4
05-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #3268

Cannon Beach, Oregon

Wow, Tuco! This shot is just fantastic!!!
05-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #3269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Wow, Tuco! This shot is just fantastic!!!
Why thanks.
05-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #3270

grand, tuco, grand!
So, those Hoya ND filters are quite good, eh? NDX400 + NDX8 + O2 Orange Filters - what system do you use to hold all these filters?