Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #4201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drm Quote
Something about seeing those trannys on the light table, always therapeutic for me. Ok back to scanning...
Beautiful. Apologies if you've already mentioned it, but what's your process for scanning these transparencies? I'm trying to figure out what my best bet is for digitizing MF. I see people using MF-capable flatbed scanners, using DSLRs and macro lenses, etc. Curious what your (and others) preference is.

06-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #4202
drm

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
Beautiful. Apologies if you've already mentioned it, but what's your process for scanning these transparencies? I'm trying to figure out what my best bet is for digitizing MF. I see people using MF-capable flatbed scanners, using DSLRs and macro lenses, etc. Curious what your (and others) preference is.
I've tried a bunch of different options, and finally settled on using a Nikon 8000 and VueScan software. I regularly make 30" prints using an old epson 9600 and am still amazed at the color, detail, and dynamic range I can get from this setup.

I calibrated the scanner using targets from www.targets.coloraid.de. Pretty inexpensive and made a big difference in color. My scans now come out almost identical to what I see on the light table.

For the actual scan process I use a modified stock medium-format tray and do a wet scan. I make a film sandwich using thin glass plate, Lumina fluid, film, more fluid, then optical mylar. I've tested it against a dry scan and the wet scan has visible improvements.

Happy to share any details, let me know if you want any more info.

Last edited by drm; 06-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.
06-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #4203

Old Growth Forest, Vancouver Island, British Columbia with 645D & 55mm
Attached Images

06-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #4204

Dock Road sunset LBI

Pentax 645D 45-85 lens at 45mm monopod

Attached Images

06-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #4205
Pentaxian

Here are a few favourites from my last roll through the 645 - Tri-X.

06-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #4206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Here are a few favourites from my last roll through the 645 - Tri-X.

Very nice portrait! love it!
06-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #4207
CDW
Site Supporter

For those of you who enjoy photographing the American southwest, here is a shot from a location well off the radar and just now being 'discovered'. It's known by the somewhat strange name of Yant Flat. The area is a few miles north of St. George, Utah on US Forestry/BLM land, quite accessible and only about a 1.5 mile hike from the trail head. Unlike The Wave, no permit is required but getting on site for a summer sunrise shoot requires an early AM departure. I find the area easily as interesting as the Coyote Buttes and White Pocket in Vermilion Cliffs, and far easier to access. The actual physical area is quite large covering several hundred acres or more. One could spend a week of sunrise/sunsets and not run out of opportunities. This image shot with a 645D, 55mm manual focus, multiframe stitch.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
06-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #4208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
For those of you who enjoy photographing the American southwest, here is a shot from a location well off the radar and just now being 'discovered'. It's known by the somewhat strange name of Yant Flat. The area is a few miles north of St. George, Utah on US Forestry/BLM land, quite accessible and only about a 1.5 mile hike from the trail head. Unlike The Wave, no permit is required but getting on site for a summer sunrise shoot requires an early AM departure. I find the area easily as interesting as the Coyote Buttes and White Pocket in Vermilion Cliffs, and far easier to access. The actual physical area is quite large covering several hundred acres or more. One could spend a week of sunrise/sunsets and not run out of opportunities. This image shot with a 645D, 55mm manual focus, multiframe stitch.
Beautiful shot. This is the area at the north end/ just north of Snow Canyon?

I love the red rocks country there, the proximity to the parks, the open space, the climate... I'm hoping to move to St George when I can swing it.
06-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #4209
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Beautiful shot. This is the area at the north end/ just north of Snow Canyon?

Actually, the location of Yant Flat is about 12 miles off the interstate at Silver Reef, about 20 minutes north of St. George. You're thinking of White Rocks, on the north end of Snow Canyon State Park. Here is a stitched sunrise pan from Observation Point at White Rocks. 645D, 55MM, taken on a very hazy morning...not nearly as compelling as Yant Flat, in my opinion.

Last edited by CDW; 06-29-2016 at 08:37 AM.
06-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #4210
Pentaxian

Actually, the location of Yant Flat is about 12 miles off the interstate at Silver Reef, about 20 minutes north of St. George. You're thinking of White Rocks, on the north end of Snow Canyon State Park. Here is a stitched sunrise pan from Observation Point at White Rocks. 645D, 55MM, taken on a very hazy morning...not nearly as compelling as Yant Flat, in my opinion.
Ah - OK. Been a few years now, and haven't been to the Yant Flat area. (Yet ) Thanks!

Nice view of Snow Canyon from that point.
06-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #4211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My in-laws live right up the road from here, I might have to hit you up for some directions to some of these places when I go down that way next time.
06-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #4212
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
A photo from my daughter made on her first day at school. The huge bag in her arms is filled with sweets - a more then one hundred year old german tradition when starting the bitter reality of life :-)
I had no Pentax gear when I shot this picture one and a half years ago. I was using my Mamiya RB 67, 90mm lens, Kodak Portra 400.
Attached Images

06-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #4213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
A photo from my daughter made on her first day at school. The huge bag in her arms is filled with sweets - a more then one hundred year old german tradition when starting the bitter reality of life :-)
I had no Pentax gear when I shot this picture one and a half years ago. I was using my Mamiya RB 67, 90mm lens, Kodak Portra 400.
Nice results. She doesn't look too over-joyed for holding such a large bag of candy.
06-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #4214
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Well, she´s a little bit anxious because of what is about to come.
06-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #4215
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
one more for tuco

645D , 90mm #3 extension tube.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo