Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35479 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #4516
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Just a test roll though my new (to me) 67ii - seems fine, and nice to get 10 shots out of a roll as opposed to the 9 of my old 67!

P67ii
Tak 105/2.4
Fuji Superia X-tra 400
Lab processed
Epson 4870 Photo 2400dpi scan
rob, your colors look pretty good on the scan. assuming this was from the negative, can you tell me a bit about your scanning process? I can't seem to get decent colors when scanning color negatives.

10-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #4517
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'v recently been much happier with the Superia 400 - the main reason being better exposure I think: erring towards 1-stop of 'overexposure' seems to get significantly better results.

I scan using Vuesoft on OS X, and usually use this procedure: Advanced Workflow Suggestions with 'auto-levels'.

Bit of tweaking in Aperture usually does the trick for 'snaps':

I got 10 rolls for a bargain so I tend to use it as my 'test' film, but am down to my last roll now! Seems to work OK pulled to 200 too.
10-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #4518
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Nice shots. (..and HEY! Im not the only photographer in the Copenhagen area shooting 6X7 — we should meet)
No, certianly not. I am not the most active 6x7 photographer, but I like to shoot it occasionally alongside my 645N. I have seen some of your work that you have posted here on this site - I especially remember one from Vesterbrogade and other images from Copenhagen. You seem to have much more experience with Pentax 6x7 than I have. I would certainly very much like to meet. I would like to swap stories and experiences with Pentax analogue gear, as I have hoared quite a bit of Pentax gear. A 6x7 90mm Leaf Shutter lens should be on its way from Germany right now ...

QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Itīs inspiring to see that you develop colorfilm yourself. (BTW: Is it the development or the scanning which produces the ‘spotty‘ texture seen on them?)
I have my film developed in a lab (Nannasgade) from the shop Photografica for 50kr a piece (ca.8US). But the idea to have a darkroom and develop (my film and skills) myself is on my mind too.
I have the Epson V750 which delivers decent scans. Or I rent the Imacon at Fotografisk Center (Carlsberg).
I went to Island this summer (with a trunkload of 6X7s and more) and am having the rolls developed soon. Then all the scanning..and then I hope to be able to show you guys a pic or two. Regards
I have started out with an inexpensive flatbed scanner (the CanoScan 9000F). It has its merits, but the scans are not at Imacon level. The 'spotty' texture to the sky probably stems from the scratch removal part of the software (Silverfast 8). I think I can get better scans than this, but I have to try more options. My philosophy is to get scans from my CanoScan scanner to see that I am on the right track and then to get proper scans from a better scanner at a later date of the negatives or slides that deserve it. I had thought of the possibilty of renting time on a scanner, but I didn't quite know where ...

I live North of Copenhagen, and I pay 70 or 80 kr (+/- 10 Euro) for colour film development locally. Therefore I decided to try it on my own, and C-41 isn't at all impossible. The problem is that the chemicals deteriorate quite rapidly, so it is best to collect a considerable number of exposed films and develop them over a short period of time. But there are considerable savings to be had that way. A DigiBase kit for one litre is about 40 Euro incl. shipping. Such a kit is good for 20 films, so for me break-even cost-wise is already at 4 films.
The colours have come out quite well, but I don't know if the colours are good enought for old-fashioned darkroom work. As it is, a slight colour shift is not that hard to correct with post-processing software in a partly digital workflow.
10-08-2013, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #4519
Veteran Member

Bought some old darkroom stuff from CSU today. One piece was a contact film printer. I'm using it instead as a lightbox for digitizing my medium format negatives with my camera.

Works much better than the jerry rigged tablet I was using. Here's one of my negatives I digitized today. Ended up being 80 megapixels

Shot with my Mamiya RB67 Pro S and 90mm F3.8 lens. Delta 100 developed with Xtol at 1:1

10-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #4520
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Works much better than the jerry rigged tablet I was using. Here's one of my negatives I digitized today. Ended up being 80 megapixels
It's looking better all the time. If you could use a loupe and light table to look at the negative's detail in both the shadows and highlights and compare to what your camera is scanning, that would be good to know. Might be a good alternative for people instead of scanners.
10-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #4521
Inactive Account

SOme sport shots from a sail race. i found the 645d af can easily cover an event like this apart the slow fps.

here the rest of the series

JBPhotography by jonatha Borzicchi
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #4522
Inactive Account

645D at the coast of Trinidad, Cuba

10-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #4523
Pentaxian

Pentax 6x7, 135mm f4 SMC Macro-Takumar, Fuji Velvia 50

Pentax 6x7, Canada, 105mm f2.4 SMC Takumar, Fuji Velvia 50

Pentax 6x7, 135mm f4 SMC Macro-takumar, Fuji Velvia 50

10-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #4524
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Nice shots, Ristretto.

Some sea stack shots this weekend at Cannon Beach, OR, with a Pentax 67.

[/center]
Nice work, Tuco!
10-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #4525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks.

On my way home from the Oregon Coast, I often stop by these points of interest to take a shot and hope for good conditions such as a favorable tide and all. But here are some from recent trips.

All exceptional! I NEED to pick up one of those orange filtters! Really like the processing on these.

One question, is that a graduated filter or a full filter?
10-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #4526
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
All exceptional! I NEED to pick up one of those orange filtters! Really like the processing on these.

One question, is that a graduated filter or a full filter?
Thanks.

The NDX400 is an approx 9-stop full ND filter. The 400 filter factor, if accurate, calculates to ~8.6 stops and the filter is advertised as 9 stops. Usually people say Grad ND filter for a graduated one.

Note, too, the orange here also helps me get a longer exposure out in the sun with its 2 extra stops of light sucking orange. Take note too that when people say an orange really darkens the blue sky, well, true but usually if you let the camera pick the exposure. I pick my own middle gray exposure and if it happens to favor shadows, it pushes the value of the sky up more orange filter or not. So it doesn't come out that dark but better than white, I suppose.
10-10-2013, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #4527
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Love this thread.

Here's one from some Velvia 100F:

P67
45/4
2-stop hard ND
Velvia 100F

Underexposed, and soft from a weedy tripod and slow shutter-speed...but I'll be going back there I think!
10-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #4528
Inactive Account

my mirror Tokina 500/8 up to ∞ on 645 camera. i m used Pentax645,Mamiya and Hassy this leans. crazy
this film is bad- 2010y.mirror dont UP to camera. nex step- tilt adapter and mirror UP to camera.
Pentax 645 Portra 160NC
10-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #4529

Photos: Gallery
Venice with the 645D and FA35/3.5@f8. Canale grande viewed from ponte di rialto.

Cheers,
Stefan
10-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #4530
Pentaxian

A 'Pearly Queen' , originally a London Costermonger -- they do a lot for Charity Pentax 6x7 + 200mm f4 SMC Takumar. Agfa CT18 film

English 'Thatched Roof' -- a dying trade. Pentax 6x7 + 200mm f4 SMC Takumar, Agfa CT18 film.