Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #4771

itshimitis:

Thanks for posting these.
The results are crisp yet smooth and very life like.
Beautiful colors as well.

May I ask what your RAW-Converter/Editor of choice is ?

Your new 25mm looks like a fine copy. I hope I receive a copy as good as your's.

Thank you !

Last edited by jamgolf; 01-02-2014 at 01:49 PM.
01-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #4772
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamgolf Quote
Yes indeed I did. Infact Hark Lee's and your posts/pictures persuaded me the most to get the 645D
hey don't be blaming me
01-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #4773
Pentaxian

itshimitis:

Your new 25mm looks like a fine copy. I hope I receive a copy as good as your's.

Thank you !
Thank you.

I use Lightroom 5 to convert and make basic edits and then transfer to CS6. I use Nik filters Viveza for colour edits and silver efex for BW. I use colour efex to add a software soft grad, especially as there isn't a physical one for the 25mm.
01-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #4774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Another hike on the Oregon Sand Dunes
Nice one.

01-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #4775
Veteran Member

Another hike on the Oregon Sand Dunes
Great photo, love the sand's texture.
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #4776
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Nice one.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Great photo, love the sand's texture.
Thanks you guys
01-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #4777
Pentaxian

itshimitis:

Thank you !
I have printed some of my shots and combined with a decent printer (in my case Epson R3000 which prints up to 13 x 19 inches) the rendition from 645D is fantastic. I have the Nikon D800E also, which is great, but the 645D certainly has a good edge over it in my view.

01-05-2014, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #4778
Veteran Member

I just got these back from the lab today even though I took them in November. The roll sat around in my bag for a couple weeks...
Taken with the Mamiya 6 and all three lenses, on Velvia 100F.

01-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #4779
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice scenes, revdocjim. Looks cold out there

Here is a New Portra 160 version of the fence shot. I took the 500C/M on this trip instead of my Pentax 67 so I could switch backs between color and BW.

Jobo C-41 Press Kit ( home developed )

They are both nice, not sure which I like best.

Phil.
01-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #4780
Veteran Member

Nice scenes, revdocjim. Looks cold out there

Here is a New Portra 160 version of the fence shot. I took the 500C/M on this trip instead of my Pentax 67 so I could switch backs between color and BW.

Jobo C-41 Press Kit ( home developed )

I too like both shots, though I'm partial to the BW version because of the distracting orange flag on the fencewire. They are both powerful shots.

Since you all convinced me to get a Pentax 6x7, I've been enjoying mine immensely and am about to send my first color 120 from the camera off to be processed at Dwayne's. Tuco, I've never held a Hassie, would you tell me what you think of the two systems as compared to one another? I have held an RB but RB's are different beasts entirely

I am a little miffed that 67s don't have interchangeable backs, but I would think that carrying a second body would work if you want to do one color one BW. Doing many many backs like you can with a Hassie isn't really replicable though (For instance, 3 black and white backs, 1 for contracted development, one for expanded development, and one for neutral, plus a color back).
01-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #4781
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
They are both nice, not sure which I like best.

Phil.
Thanks, Phil

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I too like both shots... Tuco, I've never held a Hassie, would you tell me what you think of the two systems as compared to one another?
I've always said MF film cameras are a series of compromises. It seems each does something better than the other at certain things. That's why I have both systems. And what a person my like/dislike about one system or the other depends a lot on the individual. But the 500C/M and the Pentax 6x7 are far enough apart that it is not too redundant to have both of them.

The Pentax 6x7 was my first MF camera which I purchased about 25 years ago. I still have it and it still is going strong. I shoot the Pentax 6x7 almost exclusively with a waist level finder these days so it is not much different than the 500C/M in that regard. And I also shoot my 6x7 much like my 4x5 system instead of trying to make a 35mm style camera out of it because I have digital cameras when I need to shoot like that.

The biggest thing for me and the 500C/M is of course the hot-swapping backs. As you may know I do a lot of highlight compression work and it is easy to devote a roll of film to that processing when you can swap the film out at anytime. Other things I really like as well is no batteries, the lens hood system and all 6 of the CF lenses I have for it take the same filter diameter which is huge bonus for colored and ND filter work for BW film. And I was hoping one day digital backs for the 500C/M would become more reasonably priced. I'm still waiting on that.

Congrats on your new Pentax 6x7, btw.
01-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #4782
Veteran Member

Thanks, Phil

I've always said MF film cameras are a series of compromises. It seems each does something better than the other at certain things. That's why I have both systems. And what a person my like/dislike about one system or the other depends a lot on the individual. But the 500C/M and the Pentax 6x7 are far enough apart that it is not too redundant to have both of them.

The Pentax 6x7 was my first MF camera which I purchased about 25 years ago. I still have it and it still is going strong. I shoot the Pentax 6x7 almost exclusively with a waist level finder these days so it is not much different than the 500C/M in that regard. And I also shoot my 6x7 much like my 4x5 system instead of trying to make a 35mm style camera out of it because I have digital cameras when I need to shoot like that.

The biggest thing for me and the 500C/M is of course the hot-swapping backs. As you may know I do a lot of highlight compression work and it is easy to devote a roll of film to that processing when you can swap the film out at anytime. Other things I really like as well is no batteries, the lens hood system and all 6 of the CF lenses I have for it take the same filter diameter which is huge bonus for colored and ND filter work for BW film. And I was hoping one day digital backs for the 500C/M would become more reasonably priced. I'm still waiting on that.

Congrats on your new Pentax 6x7, btw.
Thanks! Getting the 6x7 and trading off my old 645 is probably one of the best things I've ever done for my photography. I found that getting one kinda killed my Hasselblad lust, at least for now, so I was curious.

What I like about the 6x7 is kind of the same and kinda different to what you like about it. I love the huge negatives and I love the detail and the amazing sharpness (which I know by reputation more than experience at this point) of its lenses. I love that I can sit it on a tripod with the mirror locked up and get incredibly sharp landscapes, using it like a view camera. I love that the lenses are brighter than the lenses for most other 6x7 systems and aren't that expensive.

Most of what I love though, is where it fits in my photographic world. I shoot a 4x5 and an 8x10, both field cameras, so the 6x7's big strength is that when it's not on a tripod, I can slap a metered prism on it and shoot it like a big, fat LX. That's fantastic! It's exactly the right compromise between my 4x5 and the 35mm/digital stuff. For me, anyway.

Thanks for the comparison!
01-07-2014, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4783
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My daughter Friederike. Pentax 6x7, 105mm wide open, monopod, Kodak TMax 400, Xtol 1:1, 9,5 Min, 20 C, Kodak agitation
Attached Images

01-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #4784
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
My daughter Friederike. Pentax 6x7, 105mm wide open, monopod, Kodak TMax 400, Xtol 1:1, 9,5 Min, 20 C, Kodak agitation
Nice portrait. A #1 extension tube and that lens is also fun to mess around with on those shots. I've used f2.8 though with that combination.
01-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #4785
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you, Tuco. I forgot to mention: I did use the #1 extension tube.