Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2015, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #6961

only had the camera for a day so forgive any amateurness still getting my head around these files

645z with 55mm.

05-04-2015, 07:00 AM   #6962
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JoeC Quote
Yates Mill pond.
Wonderful first post, a park I had never heard of even though it's only 40 minutes from home for me. I will have to check it out.
05-05-2015, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #6963
Veteran Member

A120 macro

stacking with helicon focus. about 6 images.

marcus
05-06-2015, 04:35 AM - 3 Likes   #6964

645z, 55mm, 2secs iso100 f14

05-06-2015, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #6965

Photos: Gallery
Hi everyone. I love this thread! New to this forum. New to MF. New to Pentax. I recently rekindled a love for photography after a few decades. I viewed this entire thread over the past four months Read a lot of it as well, what a great resource.

Here's one from my first roll this past winter.

645 45mm Ilford Delta 400 Epson v600
05-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #6966
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by _Ben Quote
Hi everyone. I love this thread! New to this forum. New to MF. New to Pentax. I recently rekindled a love for photography after a few decades. I viewed this entire thread over the past four months Read a lot of it as well, what a great resource.

Here's one from my first roll this past winter.

645 45mm Ilford Delta 400 Epson v600
Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you're enjoying photography.
05-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #6967

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
stacking with helicon focus. about 6 images.

marcus
Marcus

Very nice ... But stacking 645 images is verging on insanity! How are you doing it? Down-razzing to jpg first? Last time I tried with Zerene my Mac Pro went into meltdown!

Ed

05-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #6968
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by constable Quote
Marcus

Very nice ... But stacking 645 images is verging on insanity! How are you doing it? Down-razzing to jpg first? Last time I tried with Zerene my Mac Pro went into meltdown!

Ed
I stack most of my landscapes captured on the 645Z. Between 8-11 images each one! Macbook pro :-)
05-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #6969

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
I stack most of my landscapes captured on the 645Z. Between 8-11 images each one! Macbook pro :-)
I am impressed ... are you using Zerene, Photoshop or Helicon? When I checked, it was Helicon that gave the problems not Zerene.

Ed
05-07-2015, 08:33 AM   #6970
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by constable Quote
Marcus

Ed
The downloaded version free trial of zerene does not support jpeg files of medium format Z. You need to drop an email to the owner, (Rick) and he will direct you to change some settings to 65M to cater to bigger files of medium format. I have the same initial problems faced by you too.

I bought helicon focus as well together with zerene. For Helicon, there is no issue with files size and its fast and powerful, many times faster that zerene.

When I want a fast processing of stacks, I will choose helicon. The retouching tools, I often have smudges or the colors differs slightly. Maybe I need more practise on Helicon but I love the speed and power it produces a stacks.

For zerene, its processing power is slow, very slow in jpeg. You have to bring the files to the desk-top to download for proceesing. This is a minus point between the 2. The recommit image to retouching is also extremely slow here. I have to wait sometime to load and sometime takes minutes. Here I love the retouching tools as I find it easier to choose the background I want. The outcome is more predictable and less smudges of uneven colors of images.

This is just my personal opinion and I am not related to any party. I bought a professional version for helicon and will upgrade my zerene from basic.

There is a free version too under combine ZP and photoshop can aslo perform stacking, as I understand.

marcus
05-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #6971
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
I have a macbook pro also and been experimenting with stacking landscapes in Photoshop with varying degrees of success. Do you use something besides Photoshop? Where my attempts seem to break down is typically in the areas directly behind foreground foliage, soemtimes in area closer to the corners of hte frame. Lightroom seems to have trouble picking out fine details from different frames in those cases. Or am I doing something wrong?
05-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #6972

Here's one I just did in Zerene Stacker. A total of 18 images taken with my 645D, but only about 13 or so used. It was shot wide open for the Bokeh. There were enough slices to keep the closest portions of the image in focus, and also a little deeper than how the final image appears. I decided to use less captures for a couple of reasons. Retouching can be a pain. Strange banding and halos seem to happen more on images that have overlapping areas. Also, for this image I thought that having some of the closer needles out of focus might make the image appear more three dimensional. Not sure that it works and was worth the effort, but at least now its done.

I also have Helicon Focus, and have also done stacks in photoshop. What I like about Helicon, is that it allows you to see the mask when retouching. There are always areas that the software gets wrong, and it's much easier to see where those areas are with the mask showing. With Helicon, you can use DNG's which is very nice. With Zerene Stacker I save files that I've worked up in Lightroom to TIFF's and then do the stacking. I think Zerene does a better overall job. I've had some images that Helicon just makes a mess of. Stacking software has to resize the images in order to stack them on top of each other. That resizing interpolation is done better I think in Zerene Stacker. The resizing does make for a bit softer image. I think that for scenes that can hold focus at f/16 to f/22 its better to just shoot it that way even with a bit of diffraction, than to use f/11 and stack two or three to get the image. Photoshop doesn't do as well of a job, but its nice to see the masks that are produced. I'm doing this on a Mac Mini with only 16 g of RAM. Somehow it works.

Rick

Pentax 645D, 67 55-100mm, f/4.5
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard Longseth; 05-08-2015 at 06:45 PM.
05-08-2015, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #6973
Pentaxian

Some from the rooftop club bar in the Intercontinental Hotel in Sydney:

Pentax 645Z FA 33 - 55

05-08-2015, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #6974
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Some from the rooftop club bar in the Intercontinental Hotel in Sydney:
Great images. I particularly like the long exposures. Australia now. You really are from all over.
05-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #6975

Good photos @itshimitis from the great city!