Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2015, 05:31 AM   #7636

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds great, however with very elderly parents in UK, our holiday allocation for the foreseeable future is pretty much spoken for, travelling all the way from Australia. I've just returned from a solo month with my folks.

Some day...now, if I can just get my wife interested in photography...

10-08-2015, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #7637
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lenticular Quote
Sounds great, however with very elderly parents in UK, our holiday allocation for the foreseeable future is pretty much spoken for, travelling all the way from Australia. I've just returned from a solo month with my folks.

Some day...now, if I can just get my wife interested in photography...
I hear you
Trust me a photography interested wife, while fun, can be a whole lot of trouble too
10-08-2015, 07:44 AM - 3 Likes   #7638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not having a convenient location nearby with a ramshackle shed, rusting agricultural machinery, north facing pier, or other such foreground features, I went uphill and shot last nights Northern Lights with the 645Z and the HD 28-45mm. This location was looking NNE up Loch Awe. No foreground at all as the land fell away in front of me. No dancing lights just vast longview layering of colour. I'm not sure what the 645Z added to the final image as 20 sec exposure at ISO 3200 is still quite noise compromised, and the distant terrestrial features were softened by atmospheric moisture. But anyway I went to the effort so here is the result. I really must find a few to the north with a shoreline wrecked boat in the foreground next time.

10-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #7639

Hey, I would like to visit Greenland too.
I've been on Spitsbergen for 13 months (Polar Expedition).
Greenland is on my TODO list.
If anybody interested, let me know, maybe we'll organize something together?

10-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #7640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Not having a convenient location nearby with a ramshackle shed, rusting agricultural machinery, north facing pier, or other such foreground features, I went uphill and shot last nights Northern Lights with the 645Z and the HD 28-45mm. This location was looking NNE up Loch Awe. No foreground at all as the land fell away in front of me. No dancing lights just vast longview layering of colour. I'm not sure what the 645Z added to the final image as 20 sec exposure at ISO 3200 is still quite noise compromised, and the distant terrestrial features were softened by atmospheric moisture. But anyway I went to the effort so here is the result. I really must find a few to the north with a shoreline wrecked boat in the foreground next time.
I like it the way it is. A wrecked boat in the foreground is so cliché. May be a functioning boat
10-08-2015, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #7641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
I like it the way it is. A wrecked boat in the foreground is so cliché. May be a functioning boat
Thanks, I was being only partially serious. Hoever, I would like to take a clichéd pic of the aurora at some point in my life.
10-08-2015, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #7642
Veteran Member

No time for exotic places. This is just outside Amsterdam, a little river called Waver.

10-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #7643

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aurora and Waver photos

So envious of aurora picture opportunities to you northerners! Nice image, despite foreground and other challenges. Aurora Australis sightings are often photographed from Tasmania however Canberra rarely gets such opportunities and then we have mountains that may occlude many views to our south.

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 07:41 AM ----------

Exotic or not, your shot is symbolic of the Netherlands to me and very autumnal.
10-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #7644
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MorgothV8 Quote
Hey, I would like to visit Greenland too.
I've been on Spitsbergen for 13 months (Polar Expedition).
Greenland is on my TODO list.
If anybody interested, let me know, maybe we'll organize something together?
the 2016 season is filing up quickly on the locatons you would want to visit, but I will talk to some people and see what I can do... and talk to Adam (is he still in charge here) to make sure I am not breaking the rules in here.

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Thanks, I was being only partially serious. Hoever, I would like to take a clichéd pic of the aurora at some point in my life.
I hear you on that one, after 10 years in Greenand I am still waiting for that succesful clichéd image too
That said, I like your image a lot. n,othing wrong with producing something different and the beauty of the auroras are their elusive and everchanging nature.
QuoteOriginally posted by lenticular Quote
So envious of aurora picture opportunities to you northerners! Nice image, despite foreground and other challenges. Aurora Australis sightings are often photographed from Tasmania however Canberra rarely gets such opportunities and then we have mountains that may occlude many views to our south.

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 07:41 AM ----------

Exotic or not, your shot is symbolic of the Netherlands to me and very autumnal.
I have to agree, after 10 years in a country where trees are something we import for Christmas, trees has become an exotic thing, as is the deep orange/red autumnal hues. Keep up the beautiful work.
10-09-2015, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #7645
Veteran Member

Thank you Thomas.
Thomas and MorgothV8 I am interested in an organised/organising trip to Greeland as well.
Is there any information on how that would work?

And please don't take me wrong on the cliché remark, it was ment as a serious comment on subject in images. Because auroras are already so spectecular by themselves.
I have bee enjoying the images from unkipunki very much as well as the ones from others like Mike Oria and itshimitis.

Here is another (cliché boat ) image on the river Amstel just outside Amsterdam.

10-09-2015, 02:15 AM   #7646
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
Thank you Thomas.
Thomas and MorgothV8 I am interested in an organised/organising trip to Greeland as well.
Is there any information on how that would work?

And please don't take me wrong on the cliché remark, it was ment as a serious comment on subject in images. Because auroras are already so spectecular by themselves.
I have bee enjoying the images from unkipunki very much as well as the ones from others like Mike Oria and itshimitis.

Here is another (cliché boat ) image on the river Amstel just outside Amsterdam.
Mike Itshimitis, 672, unkipunki and so many others, there is a reason I keep revisiting this thread and they are all part of it, or the images they post anyway

I will talk over the Greenland thing with Adam (to figure out how to make it work without breaking forum rules) and then look into what can be done and the cost of it.
10 years in the photo and travel industry in Greenland gives me a pretty good insight in how to make it work.
But lets not stray too far off topic here

It may be a cliche but still nice, but the canals in the netheerlands are amazing. I have some wonderful kayaking memories from the area around Utrecht
10-09-2015, 04:20 AM   #7647

Hmm - getting to Greenland is no problem.
Problem is how to get to glacier(s), and what permissions are needed.
Permissions = costs.
I'm from Poland, here average salary is the same in PLN (polish zloty) than in Germany in EUR (and 1 EUR = 4,50 PLN), so....
I wonder if gun permissions are needed (on Spitsbergen they were)
I had valid gun license but ONLY on Spitsbergen and from 2011 to 2016 (my polar expedition was 2011-2012).
So for me this is a matter of costs of permissions, eventually rents equipments (like snowmobiles? - maybe?)
I'm little outdated on subject (since 2012).
I've been to Vorkuta, Murmans, Longyearbyen, Inari, Ivalo, Tana-bru from Polar areas....
Last time I was in 70 degrees North of Finland/Norway border by my Audi cabrio car in December/January on summer tires :P

My mail is: lukaszgryglicki@o2.pl, so may be better to talk via email, or skype: lukaszgryglicki

Best Regards.
10-09-2015, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #7648

Trying my hand at the old old Mamiya ZD back with 80mm f/2.8 lens

10-09-2015, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #7649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hope you don't mind but one more image from last weekend
Mr Hurley again but this time in B&W

I feel bad for my trusty Canon 6D but I'm loving this 645Z more everyday
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
10-09-2015, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #7650
Pentaxian

last night!
woo!

Sunset Over Woodward Island
645D & A75/2.8. Multi-frame pano, single exposure.