Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 03:35 AM - 6 Likes   #8596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should do a series of shots called - "images from a punchbag".

In common with several images I have taken recently, this one was shot while wrangling my two year old son, Archie. In this case, he was on my shoulders and kicking me in the head while wearing hard-soled shoes and refusing to stop even for a moment while I pushed the shutter release. I could not use a tripod because I had to hold him in my grasp at all times to prevent him from falling into the water and drowning. Thank goodness for great performance at higher ISO and Pentax's medium format image stabilised lenses (which not only absorbed the shock of the kicks but allowed me to use a lower ISO than would otherwise have been necessary because I could hand-hold the camera at a lower shutter speed).

[IMG][/IMG]

Ed

---------- Post added 03-19-16 at 09:43 PM ----------

So many things I comment on, I will try to be succinct!

Firstly thanks to MikeSF, Itshimitis, BostonUK and filoxophy for your kind words on my shots of Barrenjoey Head - appreciate it - praise indeed coming from people like you.

Also thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful shots from you, MikeSF (the one you say you posted having not done so before) and Itshimitis (star trails and the Lady of the Lake).

Finally, Itshimitis, I have had much the same experience of having repairs done from Australia (via their local third party agent here). Woeful, dismissive, uncommunicative, slow, apparently unconcerned. It really is the only Achilles Heel of the Pentax MF system and one that irks be considerably! Sorry you have suffered it too. Hope it all gets fixed before people like us leave the system...

03-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #8597
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
It took a tumble about a year ago. Optically it appeared fine to me, still sharp in all the right places, but the zoom ring was stiff and didn't reach all the focal range without a struggle. Apparently a non weather sealed lens would have been quite simple to fix, since the dealer I buy things from said that what appeared to have happened was the screws inside the zoom ring had been knocked loose, and it was usually quite a simple fix, but weather sealing complicated things so it had to go to Pentax's engineers. That was in early November. I heard nothing at all in spite of the dealer chasing it 4 times until they finally came back to the dealer at the beginning of March with an estimate of £800 to fix it (about $1200). The dealer came back to me that morning - 1st March and I replied to his email by return with the instruction to repair. He phoned them immediately giving them the instruction. The next day, I asked the dealer if he could let me know an estimate on the wait for the repair. He got in touch with them (it would be Johnson's Photopia in Newcastle under lyme (I've been to their offices before to drop off and pick up the camera for a sensor clean - which they did within 2 hours free of charge) and they told him it would be 2 - 4 weeks depending on whether they had the parts there. Fast forward 2 weeks and the dealer calls them to check on progress. they say no instruction was given to repair. My dealer says there was and that they should check their phone recordings. They said that they would when they had time. So he played them his recording of him giving the instruction to repair on 1st March. They still wouldn't accept that they were at fault.

I messaged Ricoh Imaging UK on twitter (after publicly mentioning them, which they ignored) explaining the situation before I went into my dealer's shop in Cardiff last week. They asked for contact details which I gave. No contact from the repair site. After I got the feedback, I again messaged Ricoh Imaging UK stating that I was very unhappy and that unless they got in contact with me within 7 days or returned the lens to me fixed, I would treat the lens as lost by Ricoh's agents and would require them to send me a replacement. Today, 7 days following I have again messaged Ricoh telling them no contact has been made and that their agents don't seem to give a fig, and that I would be treating the lens as lost as 4 months is an unacceptable amount of time to keep it with minimal feedback. To say I am angry is an understatement. It is absolutely shocking.

I am busy this weekend or else I would have been at The Photography Show and at any public presentation of the K1 I would have asked why they continue to use a repair agent who is so hapless and careless. Unfortunately I am busy right over the period of the show.
You know, these sorts of horror stories are really giving me the willies. But they are also making me mad, and I've had nothing go wrong! But i thank you for these narratives, because I think here in the litigious U.S. if something does happen to my stuff, my communications will be accompanied by a letter from my lawyer. Here that does tend to make people sit up and take notice....even copying one's lawyer with the communication can have the required effect.
03-19-2016, 06:47 AM - 3 Likes   #8598

Last November in Arches NP

Have not posted for some time.A lot of great work here on the forum.
Here is from my trip to Arches and Canyonlands last November
645Z,FA 45-85mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
03-19-2016, 08:50 AM - 4 Likes   #8599
Veteran Member

itshimitis; That's still the problem with the Ricoh company, that they don't understand that if you want to deliver professional photo equipment your support should be likewise. Very bad!

Mers les Bains, France

Pentax 645Z with Mamiya shift 50/4 in Hasselblad mount.

03-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #8600
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried uploading these to smugmug, but they look considerably softer than on my monitor? I even deleted the upload and reuploaded the file to smugmug.

03-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #8601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I tried uploading these to smugmug, but they look considerably softer than on my monitor? I even deleted the upload and reuploaded the file to smugmug.
Well a sunset sky is a kind of soft subject to begin with but I've found the pc to smugmug to PF transition to be problematic as well. Of course in my case, it's compounded by my being a pp hack but it is a challenge.
03-19-2016, 05:54 PM - 4 Likes   #8602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smoky hills in Honduras
645D & 67 300/4

03-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #8603
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Smoky hills in Honduras
I like this! I had some similar conditions here locally and had the same exact effect with the different shade of each subsequent mountain range. I didn't have my camera so I couldn't capture it. I'm glad you did.
03-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #8604
Pentaxian

Yeah, very good and original picture
I want to see a giant (imperial) woodpecker there !
03-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #8605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! I was glad a brought the D and managed to get it back home again too!
03-20-2016, 12:18 AM - 4 Likes   #8606
Pentaxian

matt, love those layers!
keegan - holy sky burn!
Ed - keep 'em coming! Color of that last one is off the hook

From tonight. a 7 minute exposure illuminated completely by moonlight

Marsh Creek
645Z & DFA25
03-20-2016, 01:19 AM - 6 Likes   #8607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope this translates into an image for others, but it is such a spirit soaring memory for me it's difficult to be objective - looking out over the ever unfolding Karoo hills and mountains beyond Graaff-Reinet at sunset - Pentax 67, 165mm, Velvia 50

03-20-2016, 08:24 AM - 4 Likes   #8608

102 Macro A with 645z

102 Macro A with 645z
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
03-20-2016, 12:53 PM - 4 Likes   #8609

Sunrise on the Oregon Coast

Pentex 645 Z, 28-45
I'm finally getting the time to take the new camera out.
Attached Images

03-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #8610
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by L3 Doddle Quote
Pentex 645 Z, 28-45
I'm finally getting the time to take the new camera out.
That is very nice.