Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35479 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2016, 10:27 PM - 9 Likes   #8836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Last night a few miles from home. I went out tonight but I never got out of the car because we were having a thunder snow storm!
A 35 which I must say I enjoy using.

04-16-2016, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #8837
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Last night a few miles from home. I went out tonight but I never got out of the car because we were having a thunder snow storm!
A 35 which I must say I enjoy using.
I don't recall ever seeing one of your posted pictures that you had obviously cropped. I know photographers frequently suffer (or more accurately, their pictures do) from what may be called 'max negative/sensor greed' (mea culpa).

My question is, since you seem to use the 645 format almost exclusively, do you ever feel constrained by its aspect ratio?
04-16-2016, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #8838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

View from the lake

Edit, this one of the world exchange building in Ottawa turned out to be a fun shot. SMC-A 200mm lens

Last edited by bobbotron; 04-16-2016 at 05:48 PM.
04-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #8839
Pentaxian

Beautiful bird shot!

I was chasing bubbles tonight.
645D & A 35
Nice pix. Grabs my attention (to use an old phrase) and the lighting is tops. The swirly patterns...white in water...excellent .

04-16-2016, 09:09 PM - 3 Likes   #8840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I don't recall ever seeing one of your posted pictures that you had obviously cropped. I know photographers frequently suffer (or more accurately, their pictures do) from what may be called 'max negative/sensor greed' (mea culpa).

My question is, since you seem to use the 645 format almost exclusively, do you ever feel constrained by its aspect ratio?
Well I use my crop gear too, just for stuff like events or when I need to travel light. But I like the 645 aspect ratio and feel like it gives me more space for foreground elements or sky. I did actually crop a 645D image tonight because the sky and foreground didn't add anything. But that is more an exception for me. I figure if the space is in the frame I'll try to fill it. But if it winds up full of nothing I may get rid of it.

645D & FA 45-85

I also took some that didn't feel like they need to be cropped. (same lens)

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 10:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix. Grabs my attention (to use an old phrase) and the lighting is tops. The swirly patterns...white in water...excellent .
thanks!
04-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #8841
Pentaxian

Well I use my crop gear too, just for stuff like events or when I need to travel light. But I like the 645 aspect ratio and feel like it gives me more space for foreground elements or sky. I did actually crop a 645D image tonight because the sky and foreground didn't add anything. But that is more an exception for me. I figure if the space is in the frame I'll try to fill it. But if it winds up full of nothing I may get rid of it.
In fairness, my observation was based on incomplete information and I see that you have (and continue) using a variety of aspects in your work, which is generally quite well considered and composed. I've been thinking about this for some time, it relates to how a capture has (or can have) a 'second life' through more thoughtful analysis and application of PP, including cropping. One frequently sees a 'diamond in the rough' here, and I find it a bit frustrating
04-17-2016, 02:52 AM   #8842
Pentaxian

I also favour the 4:3 aspect ratio as it has more balance in my view. Even when I shoot with a 3:2 native sensor I frequently crop to 4:3 - especially with portraits which look too narrow at 3:2

04-17-2016, 03:56 AM   #8843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think people who compose their pictures consciously in place tend to do it according the native view finder aspect ratio mostly given by the sensor size. That’s simply the natural way. It’s much harder to imagine in place to go another aspect ratio cause you always have to think about which parts to omit in post.

In my opinion the given aspect ratio not always is the most fitting for every picture you want to make. Often you may realize in post that there are other very interesting crop / aspect ratio options and although the one you chose in place may be very good you could prefer another in post.

I’d say the sensor size and its aspect ratio is nothing else than a technical restriction. The picture and its impression counts - independently from the native aspect ratio of the camera sensor. Using cropping in post doesn't generally mean that a bad job was done in place of the capture IMO - sometimes I read posts that could imply this.

It’s nice if camera and its viewfinder support the idea of flexibility by offering different crop frames with darkening the outside and storing the image as a raw file.
04-17-2016, 04:29 AM   #8844

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I think people who compose their pictures consciously in place tend to do it according the native view finder aspect ratio mostly given by the sensor size. That’s simply the natural way. It’s much harder to imagine in place to go another aspect ratio cause you always have to think about which parts to omit in post.

In my opinion the given aspect ratio not always is the most fitting for every picture you want to make. Often you may realize in post that there are other very interesting crop / aspect ratio options and although the one you chose in place may be very good you could prefer another in post.

I’d say the sensor size and its aspect ratio is nothing else than a technical restriction. The picture and its impression counts - independently from the native aspect ratio of the camera sensor. Using cropping in post doesn't generally mean that a bad job was done in place of the capture IMO - sometimes I read posts that could imply this.

It’s nice if camera and its viewfinder support the idea of flexibility by offering different crop frames with darkening the outside and storing the image as a raw file.
I'm not always the best at envisaging a 'post capture' change in aspect ratio so I carry a Leinox directors viewfinder when I'm out and about. It has two variables; aspect ratio and focal length (needs some intuitive recalculation for diffent sensor sizes). One simply adjusts the aspect ratio dial whilst viewing the scene and then note the position of a suitable feature so that it can be placed at a similar point in the viewfinder.......put ike that, it sounds complicated but it quickly becomes second nature.

Bob
04-17-2016, 04:36 AM   #8845
Pentaxian

There's an interesting account of Walker Evans (in The Hungry Eye, IIRC) spontaneously recropping American Pictures with a pair of scissors at the Museum of Modern Art.
04-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #8846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I think this is true for me. I don't usually miss one while using the other because in both I look through the finder and compose the elements I see through it. My cropped image above was one I a might have shot tighter but it was sleeting so I wasn't going to change lenses out there. But typically it's a match the scene to the format exercise.
04-17-2016, 11:46 AM - 8 Likes   #8847
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few handheld shots from over the weekend with the Z the DFA 90mm and FA 150mm

04-17-2016, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #8848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having a lot of fun with the 200mm SMC lens on my 645. A winter resident on our street, probably move into storage soon.

04-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #8849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting discussion on cropping & ascpect ratios. FWIW, I more or less assume I'll crop in PP but I think I'd be a better photographer if I paid more attention to what I see in the VF.
04-18-2016, 04:37 AM   #8850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
victor's remorse
Attached Images