Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35491 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #9346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
yes, i have been shooting with my K-3II, random backyard things, but give me a sweeping vista with a big sky any day!

from the pool
Water Abstract

in the bushes
Sago Genesis

up a tree
Up A Tree
You are disgustingly talented.

07-25-2016, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9347

Location: Thompson Trace, Thompson Road, Palmiste Village, Longdenville, Chaguanas. Trinidad and Tobago.
Mother Nature

A friendly Dove taken with 645Z with FA 120mm Macro
Attached Images

07-25-2016, 08:53 AM - 11 Likes   #9348

I got the chance to shoot an old A4-DN Skyraider so thought I'd try to give it that retro look from the its era (the 60's). Shot against an impending storm with a 67-M300/4 on a 645Z 1/320th @ f/8 Iso 100

07-25-2016, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #9349
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
I got the chance to shoot an old A4-DN Skyraider so thought I'd try to give it that retro look from the its era (the 60's). Shot against an impending storm with a 67-M300/4 on a 645Z 1/320th @ f/8 Iso 100
Nice, it reminds me a little of this picture I've taken of a Catalina:

Mixed with this Chipmunk I've taken on the ground:

Just these are film shots.

07-25-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #9350

Don't you just love the sound of radial engines, Cuthbert. Your Chipmunk is actually a Yak-52 powered by a throaty radial whereas the Chipmunk had a Gypsy Major 8 (4 cylinder in-line) derived from the engine used to power the Tiger Moth.

Lovely shots though.

Bob

Last edited by Bob L; 07-25-2016 at 11:25 AM.
07-25-2016, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #9351
Veteran Member

Don't you just love the sound of radial engines, Cuthbert. Your Chipmunk is actually a Yak-52 powered by a throaty radial whereas the Chipmunk had a Gypsy Major 8 (4 cylinder in-line) derived from the engine used to pwer the Tiger Moth.

Lovely shots though.

Bob
Sorry I posted the wrong pic!

The Chip is here:

07-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #9352
Veteran Member

Don't you just love the sound of radial engines, Cuthbert. Your Chipmunk is actually a Yak-52 powered by a throaty radial whereas the Chipmunk had a Gypsy Major 8 (4 cylinder in-line) derived from the engine used to pwer the Tiger Moth.

Lovely shots though.

Bob
Not really a photography comment, but since you mentioned both the Yak and the sound of radial engines, it reminded me of a book I read some time ago. It was a collection of interviews with Soviet air force veterans done for a movie. Because of that, and because it wasn't published in Soviet times, it was essentially unedited, and presented very interesting information if you are into the history of airplanes. One of the vets was asked about a comparison of an US aircraft supplied to the Soviets (might have been air cobra) and how it compared to the Messerschmitt. The vet responded that it was just as good, to which the interviewer retorted: "But the engine was weaker!" Reaction of the vet was interesting. He said: "That's if you use it according to instructions. We just pushed them as far as they could go and changed the engines frequently. This way they were just as good". A very Russian approach, I must say.

07-25-2016, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #9353
Veteran Member

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Not really a photography comment, but since you mentioned both the Yak and the sound of radial engines, it reminded me of a book I read some time ago. It was a collection of interviews with Soviet air force veterans done for a movie. Because of that, and because it wasn't published in Soviet times, it was essentially unedited, and presented very interesting information if you are into the history of airplanes. One of the vets was asked about a comparison of an US aircraft supplied to the Soviets (might have been air cobra) and how it compared to the Messerschmitt. The vet responded that it was just as good, to which the interviewer retorted: "But the engine was weaker!" Reaction of the vet was interesting. He said: "That's if you use it according to instructions. We just pushed them as far as they could go and changed the engines frequently. This way they were just as good". A very Russian approach, I must say.
Probably the Airacobra, which didn't have a good engine (a lot of failures in the USAAF) and also had spinning characteristics extremely dangerous...the Soviets nevertheless learned how to recover it.

Also the Mig 15 was supposed to have a dangerous spinning behaviour for the Western pilots, but the Soviets didn't think so and the UTI version was the standard trainer of the Warsaw's pact.

Talking about short lifespan engines, this is supposedly the best WWII fighter under 5000ft:

They pushed the Klimov engine so hard that it lasts 40 hours before having a complete overhaul. Still the Germans were instructed to avoid engaging any Yak "without the antenna" (Yak 3 and 9) under that altitudine.
07-25-2016, 01:07 PM - 4 Likes   #9354
Veteran Member

A typical day on the Olympic coast...
I liked the original quite a lot, but honestly I wanted a new desktop image for myself personally, so I cropped this 6x7 image to 16x9. It is really meant to be viewed full-screen. Some of what I thought were dust-spots, turned out to be kites. That made me happy. There are few days I don't wish I were here.

Pentax 67 | SMC 67 75/4.5 | Provia 100F | 16x9 crop

07-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #9355
Veteran Member

Don't you just love the sound of radial engines, Cuthbert. Your Chipmunk is actually a Yak-52 powered by a throaty radial whereas the Chipmunk had a Gypsy Major 8 (4 cylinder in-line) derived from the engine used to power the Tiger Moth.

Lovely shots though.

Bob
My father took me out of school for a few days so we could go to the 1970 world aerobatic championships held not far from us in Hullavington. The Yaks and the Zlins fought it out. Wonderful! Sadly I was only 12 and had no proper camera beyond a Kodak Instamatic...

Chris
07-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #9356
Veteran Member

What an excellent shot!...looks very sharp considering the shutter speed was around 1/1 to the focal length, and the obvious issues of movement...I assume you were in another plane, as its a sky background...? (as opposed to shooting from a mountain or tall building?) ....which also meant tricky handling a 300mm in a confined space?
07-26-2016, 12:19 AM - 6 Likes   #9357

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
My father took me out of school for a few days so we could go to the 1970 world aerobatic championships held not far from us in Hullavington. The Yaks and the Zlins fought it out. Wonderful! Sadly I was only 12 and had no proper camera beyond a Kodak Instamatic...
Chris
I'm also a 58'er, Chris, and well remember the halycon days when every plane was a different shape. Living just a stone's throw from Manchester airport, it was my interest in aircraft that started my interest in photography....using an old Agfa Billy Record (which I still have)

QuoteOriginally posted by BostonUKshooter Quote
What an excellent shot!...looks very sharp considering the shutter speed was around 1/1 to the focal length, and the obvious issues of movement...I assume you were in another plane, as its a sky background...? (as opposed to shooting from a mountain or tall building?) ....which also meant tricky handling a 300mm in a confined space?
I was very much on terra firma and the tree line is just out of shot. A tentative request to leave the spectator's enclosure, and position myself by the strip, was granted so long as I didn't get in the way......so refreshing these days.
1/1 is about my limit (without the benefit of image stabilsation) although a little slower would have improved the prop blurr. Today's often seen restrictions about display height and distance from the crowd line didn't seem to be enforced so things were much closer than you'd normally see.

Here's a couple more from the same shooting position....

---------- Post added 07-26-16 at 12:53 AM ----------

As there seems to be a smattering of interest in old planes then here's a few more from last weekend......all with the 67 M300/4 on the 645Z

Broussard (1950's French design for ariel observation)

Pilatus P-3 (1950's Swiss designed trainer) highlighting the need for a slower shutter speed than that of which I was capable.

OV-10 Bronco (US light attack and observation aircraft from the 60's)

Last edited by Bob L; 07-26-2016 at 12:54 AM.
07-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #9358
Veteran Member

I'm also a 58'er, Chris, and well remember the halycon days when every plane was a different shape. Living just a stone's throw from Manchester airport, it was my interest in aircraft that started my interest in photography....using an old Agfa Billy Record (which I still have)

I was very much on terra firma and the tree line is just out of shot. A tentative request to leave the spectator's enclosure, and position myself by the strip, was granted so long as I didn't get in the way......so refreshing these days.
1/1 is about my limit (without the benefit of image stabilsation) although a little slower would have improved the prop blurr. Today's often seen restrictions about display height and distance from the crowd line didn't seem to be enforced so things were much closer than you'd normally see.

As there seems to be a smattering of interest in old planes then here's a few more from last weekend......all with the 67 M300/4 on the 645Z

Pilatus P-3 (1950's Swiss designed trainer) highlighting the need for a slower shutter speed than that of which I was capable.

These are just fantastic!
07-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #9359
Veteran Member

I assume you cropped these images, or where you so close to the targets?
07-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #9360

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
These are just fantastic!
Thank you Erik....I was quite pleased generally as they're my first airborne attempts with the 645Z and I would have normally reached for my Canon 35mm outfit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I assume you cropped these images, or where you so close to the targets?
No major cropping other than a little for the aspect ratio and compositional change...the shots are perhaps what I'd have got with 400mm.....I really was allowed to get close to the action. I had 420mm as an option (1.4x rear converter) but that would have meant a higher shutter speed even less ideal for prop blurr.
The last example (Bronco) was cropped more severely as it displayed quite high (lots of loops, wing overs and rolls)

Bob