Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 02:31 PM - 11 Likes   #12016
Pentaxian

Some from my flight from Queenstown to Sydney a few weeks ago...
Pentax 645Z and DA 28 - 45

6. And a daylight approach to Heathrow at the start of my long trip away FA 45 - 85

06-04-2018, 05:31 PM - 10 Likes   #12017
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very wet Spring

Spring has been very wet in the PA woodlands around here. I mounted the trusty A 120 macro on the Z and looked for something to photograph.

The first image is of a small cluster of Orange Cap mushrooms. The entire cluster is roughly the size of a silver dollar.

This image is of a forest floor mushroom I had seen the day before. If I’m going to crawl in the soggy land of Wood Fairies, I’m going to give it a fairytale flair of dreamlike diffusion. Exposure is 30 seconds.

This image shows the power of Nature. I live in dense woodlands at elevation. The image below is from a 150 year old red oak that overhung the western edge of my deck and died last year and had to be felled. In the span of one year these fungi have overwhelmed the residual debris.
View image in gallery

Stephen
06-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #12018
Pentaxian

Nice Macro work, Stephen.
06-05-2018, 01:46 AM - 10 Likes   #12019
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More Vivid pictures

A few more shots taken in Sydney at the Vivid Festival, not long before I left the country.

645Z with 6x7 200mm f4 lens (final version)
[IMG][/IMG]

645Z with 28-45mm f4.5 DA lens
[IMG][/IMG]

645Z with 90mm DFA f2.8 lens
[IMG][/IMG]

06-05-2018, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #12020
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grand Canyon tourist outlook shot. Pentax 645 + Pentax-A 645 45mm f/2.8. Portra 160 film. Scanned at 4800 dpi (~73 megapixels); original resolution is available for viewing if you're a pixel peeper. I'm thinking I'm outracing the resolution of the film by a fair amount, but would rather do that than lose detail.

06-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #12021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GreatFrog Quote

Ed Hurst, that is fantastic! I love the lighting of the chimneys, the star trails, fabulous!
Thanks so much for that - just a little test shot really... Hoping to find a few clear nights to try something a bit more ambitious!

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 04:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Third try.... I saw this post this morning on my IPad and was riveted by this image. It is remarkable, beautifully shot and well executed in every way. I was drawn in! I would loved to have seen even more of the environment.

Stephen
Thanks, Stephen. Truly humbled by your comment...

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 04:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Superb shot. We'll miss your Australian shots - you've swapped the majestic curves and angles of Sydney's unique architecture for some dirtly old chimney pots, not quite the same

I'll look forward to what you get in your new environment.
Thank you, Jonathan. Being English, I quite like dirty old chimney pots, but hopefully I'll be able to produce something a bit bigger and bolder soon. When London decides to offer up a clear night again...
06-05-2018, 12:38 PM - 7 Likes   #12022
Pentaxian

Another from Milford Sound...

06-05-2018, 03:45 PM - 7 Likes   #12023
Pentaxian

And once more without the dust spots on the filter!
06-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #12024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Nice Macro work, Stephen.
Thanks for the support. It’s been tough to find the time to do any personal photography in recent years. But adding the instant gratification of the Z over my N has gotten me back to more nature imagery.

Stephen
06-05-2018, 09:57 PM - 3 Likes   #12025
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walking by the creek tonight with the 645D and 45-85
06-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #12026
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
And once more without the dust spots on the filter!
That's a very cool atmospheric result...unusual cloud action swirl...."...at the gates of Dante's Inferno....".....tighter crop at the bottom just under the left rocks to emphasise attention on the clouds?

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 07:07 AM ----------

Spring has been very wet in the PA woodlands around here. I mounted the trusty A 120 macro on the Z and looked for something to photograph.

The first image is of a small cluster of Orange Cap mushrooms. The entire cluster is roughly the size of a silver dollar.

This image is of a forest floor mushroom I had seen the day before. If I’m going to crawl in the soggy land of Wood Fairies, I’m going to give it a fairytale flair of dreamlike diffusion. Exposure is 30 seconds.

This image shows the power of Nature. I live in dense woodlands at elevation. The image below is from a 150 year old red oak that overhung the western edge of my deck and died last year and had to be felled. In the span of one year these fungi have overwhelmed the residual debris.
View image in gallery

Stephen
Great glow in the first , and beautiful colouration in the third....it would be interesting to see a closer look at the textures and colours of the fungi on the red oak...

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 07:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
A few more shots taken in Sydney at the Vivid Festival, not long before I left the country.

645Z with 6x7 200mm f4 lens (final version)
[/url][/IMG]

645Z with 28-45mm f4.5 DA lens
[/url][/IMG]

645Z with 90mm DFA f2.8 lens
[/url][/IMG]
Love the laser shot!...very crisp...the 90mm is my favourite lens....
06-06-2018, 01:25 AM   #12027
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But adding the instant gratification of the Z over my N has gotten me back to more nature imagery.
Good photos Stephen. Yes the Z can add the instant gratification but these are good because of your dedication to the ground level shot. I know crawling around on the wet forest floor is not easy but the best way.
You must be a Fun Guy...lol
06-06-2018, 04:07 AM - 4 Likes   #12028
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BostonUKshooter Quote
That's a very cool atmospheric result...unusual cloud action swirl...."...at the gates of Dante's Inferno....".....tighter crop at the bottom just under the left rocks to emphasise attention on the clouds?[COLOR="Silver"]

Yes I can see the reasoning behind that crop suggestion. It was the same day I took this shot - about 90 minutes later than this (which I've posted before:

Conditions change very quickly, which is why I am grateful I'm not one of the sheep on the coaches from Queenstown. Next time I'm going to use the camper site at Milford Sound itself...
06-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #12029
Veteran Member

Yes I can see the reasoning behind that crop suggestion. It was the same day I took this shot - about 90 minutes later than this (which I've posted before:

Conditions change very quickly, which is why I am grateful I'm not one of the sheep on the coaches from Queenstown. Next time I'm going to use the camper site at Milford Sound itself...
Nice one too!....my visit to Doubtful and Milford three years ago was very dour and grey, but at least got a great (lucky!) shot of a leaping dolphin around the boats we were on …..
06-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #12030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely. We lacked the time to stay at Milford Sound for more than a day trip, but that's was because we planned poorly. Next time (if there is one), we will fly into Christchurch instead of Auckland, rent our camper there, and never leave the South Island. Then, we could spend several days at Milford Sound. As crowded as it was when we were there (late September a few years before he Lord of the Rings Effect, which may be wearing off at this point), I have this feeling campsite berths have to be booked far in advance.

Rick "not sure when we'll make it back" Denney