Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #13516
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I like these images, but very surprised that the Mamiya shift55/4 can be used on the Z. I am very interested in details: Is it a 645 C series lens or something else? Is the lens used with an adapter, or has it been converted to P645 mount? I might mention that I used a variety of different Mamiya 645 C series lenses on K-mount, but have been unable to find a way to use these with the Z/D/N cameras.
The lens has been converted to Hasselblad mount and I am using it with an adapter. There is stil one for sale on ebay for a lot less the I paid for it. Object number 273525276723

08-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #13517
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
The lens has been converted to Hasselblad mount and I am using it with an adapter. There is stil one for sale on ebay for a lot less the I paid for it. Object number 273525276723
Thank you very much. I have a few questions about the lens, and have sent an inquiry to the seller. I appreciate your information.
08-01-2019, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #13518
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
The final post from my recent trip (apologies if it's getting too much!).

I always intended to do some of the Grand Canyon in Black & White. I found the medium suited different pictures compared to a colour rendition - the views that are all about texture and tones.

So here are the ones shot for B&W:

645Z with 28-45mm lens (@45mm)
[/url][/IMG]

With 150mm FA lens
[/url][/IMG]

With 90mm DFA lens
[/url][/IMG]
These B+W shots are great, Ed. These are A.A. worthy. The other shots are also excellent, of course....except that it's Vegas.

One of the best bumper stickers I ever saw was out in Nevada: " I (heart symbol) Las Vegas"---in large type, and below it, in much smaller type--"...in my rear view mirror."

Nevada itself is quite an amazing place, very under-rated.
08-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #13519
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
These B+W shots are great, Ed. These are A.A. worthy. The other shots are also excellent, of course....except that it's Vegas.

One of the best bumper stickers I ever saw was out in Nevada: " I (heart symbol) Las Vegas"---in large type, and below it, in much smaller type--"...in my rear view mirror."

Nevada itself is quite an amazing place, very under-rated.
"What happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas (unless Ed Hurst took pictures)."

08-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #13520
Veteran Member

The final post from my recent trip (apologies if it's getting too much!).

I always intended to do some of the Grand Canyon in Black & White. I found the medium suited different pictures compared to a colour rendition - the views that are all about texture and tones.

So here are the ones shot for B&W:

645Z with 28-45mm lens (@45mm)
[/url][/IMG]

With 150mm FA lens
[/url][/IMG]

With 90mm DFA lens
[/url][/IMG]
I like that second one quite a bit. The lighting in landscapes like that can get really abstract and wacky and cool.
08-03-2019, 07:21 AM - 4 Likes   #13521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few flower shots

Sometimes I think the 645Z and Pentax 67 75mm f 2.8 AL may be a case of overkill for flower photography, but I like the results anyway. In addition to excellent rendering and good color fidelity, the P67 75mm f 2.8 also offers very close MFD, making it easy to fill the frame with larger flowers--no cropping on these except minor ones for framing purposes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
08-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #13522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are nicely done but how does the image compare to those done with the P645 macros? Is it the closer distance and different perspective you like? Most are using longer focal lengths at least partially to give more working room. Just curious. I have the P645 and my medium format experience is only with film.

08-03-2019, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #13523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
These are nicely done but how does the image compare to those done with the P645 macros? Is it the closer distance and different perspective you like? Most are using longer focal lengths at least partially to give more working room. Just curious. I have the P645 and my medium format experience is only with film.
The differences are perhaps a little subjective and difficult for me to describe. However, I will say that my macro lenses, including both the 645 90mm and 120mm as well as smaller format macros yield for me a more accurate, more clinically correct image. The P67 75mm/2.8 as well as the P67 55mm f 4.0, in addition to the slight distortion of a wide angle lens held close to the subject, provides a less accurate but more dreamy type of image. Perhaps someone with more optical knowledge can provide a better explanation.
08-04-2019, 02:16 AM   #13524
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The differences are perhaps a little subjective and difficult for me to describe. However, I will say that my macro lenses, including both the 645 90mm and 120mm as well as smaller format macros yield for me a more accurate, more clinically correct image. The P67 75mm/2.8 as well as the P67 55mm f 4.0, in addition to the slight distortion of a wide angle lens held close to the subject, provides a less accurate but more dreamy type of image. Perhaps someone with more optical knowledge can provide a better explanation.
No, I don't think a better explanation is needed. I was hoping your reasons were along this line. It is a subjective preference and helps explain why I never wanted to give up my SMC K lenses for M When shooting 35mm film. There are unique rendering qualities in the color, bokeh, and contrast with certain optics that can best be understood only while properly viewing the resulting artwork. Glorifying measurements from an optical bench sometimes leaves us with a cold, clinical, exact image lacking life.
08-04-2019, 04:27 AM   #13525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
No, I don't think a better explanation is needed. I was hoping your reasons were along this line. It is a subjective preference and helps explain why I never wanted to give up my SMC K lenses for M When shooting 35mm film. There are unique rendering qualities in the color, bokeh, and contrast with certain optics that can best be understood only while properly viewing the resulting artwork. Glorifying measurements from an optical bench sometimes leaves us with a cold, clinical, exact image lacking life.
I perfectly agree. In APS-C/full frame terms, it is maybe the difference between the FA31/43/77 limiteds and more modern lenses such as the DA35 and 50mm plastic fantastics, which I also like and use.
08-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #13526
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes I think the 645Z and Pentax 67 75mm f 2.8 AL may be a case of overkill for flower photography, but I like the results anyway. In addition to excellent rendering and good color fidelity, the P67 75mm f 2.8 also offers very close MFD, making it easy to fill the frame with larger flowers--no cropping on these except minor ones for framing purposes.
Nice images. Perhaps better depth of field over the flower than the 120 macro at lower f/no (although I don't know your settings). I don't think Emil Wolf covered "dreamy" so I'm thinking "dreamy" is more of an artist topic than optical expert topic.
08-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #13527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Nice images. Perhaps better depth of field over the flower than the 120 macro at lower f/no (although I don't know your settings). I don't think Emil Wolf covered "dreamy" so I'm thinking "dreamy" is more of an artist topic than optical expert topic.
Thanks for your comments on this elusive topic. My settings were probably with aperture wide open per my usual use of the P67 75mm f 2.8.
08-04-2019, 09:02 PM - 10 Likes   #13528
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This morning along the Dipsea Trail on Mt. Tamalpais, Marin County.

Morning Rays
645Z & DFA 55 pano
08-05-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #13529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Magnificent shot, Mike. How many frames are in this pano?
08-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #13530
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Magnificent shot, Mike. How many frames are in this pano?
thx Ed. its 3 frames. I didn't bring the 35mm with me and needed a wide fov.