Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rio Vista Bridge
DFA55 & Z w/9-stop ND

01-01-2020, 06:21 AM   #13982
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have used Clapham Common Station quite a bit in the past and always felt a bit of vertigo-like queasiness on that narrow platform.

Re: the combination of images to get two trains, the line is extremely busy, busier than ever, so it might have been quicker to have waited for two trains to have been present in reality

My Lord! Good to hear from you at last. Not see hide not hair of you since 1974!

I understand why you'd say that, and I did try it for quite a long time. But there's an issue that makes it less likely that one might suppose. For the trains to be in the right place, they cannot be stopped; the positions in which they stop are in conflict with the structures you can see in the shot (framework around the staircase, principally). The correct locations for the trains are in fact when they are in motion (the train on the left just having started up, the one on the right still drawing to a stand). So the chances of getting those two events to occur in the precise locations required at once are slim. It would be easier is the trains could have been static.

This issue also explains the need for the high ISO (in order to enable a sufficiently fast shutter speed to freeze the motion of the trains) and precise focusing (so that a wide aperture could be used, thus avoiding an even higher ISO).

Thanks for your interest in the shot - and Happy New Year all!

---------- Post added 01-01-20 at 11:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Rio Vista Bridge
DFA55 & Z w/9-stop ND
Very nice shot, my friend!
01-02-2020, 07:54 AM - 14 Likes   #13983
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Castle in the mist

On the night of 30th December, I ventured out into Sussex and Kent in search of opportunities to photograph the stars. Although the sky was cloudless, the area was stubbornly full of thick fog. Getting over the usual disappointment at not getting hoped-for conditions, and its concomitant temptation to give up, I decided to head to Bodiam Castle to try and use the fog to advantage.

What I found when I got there was nothing short of magical. The fog meant that the castle was felt as much as seen, looming through the murk. There wasn't the faintest breath of wind, allowing the moat to sit glassily in the foreground. And all I could hear around me was the incessant dripping of water off frigid branches. No other sound, or light, reached me. It was like being in an enchanted wood from a children's fable. I half expected mediæval knights, bears or monsters to appear. What actually emerged was a badger at very close quarters - which took some time to notice me.

The castle dates back to the 14th century. Having it to myself felt like some sort of farewell to England... I emigrate back to Australia next week!

Pentax 645Z with 25mm f4 DA lens. Exposures in the range of 13-15 minutes. ISO 400 or 500. Aperture f4.5. Dark frame (long exposure noise reduction) activated.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 01-02-2020 at 08:11 AM.
01-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #13984
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
On the night of 30th December, I ventured out into Sussex and Kent in search of opportunities to photograph the stars. Although the sky was cloudless, the area was stubbornly full of thick fog. Getting over the usual disappointment at not getting hoped-for conditions, and its concomitant temptation to give up, I decided to head to Bodiam Castle to try and use the fog to advantage.

What I found when I got there was nothing short of magical. The fog meant that the castle was felt as much as seen, looming through the murk. There wasn't the faintest breath of wind, allowing the moat to sit glassily in the foreground. And all I could hear around me was the incessant dripping of water off frigid branches. No other sound, or light, reached me. It was like being in an enchanted wood from a children's fable. I half expected mediæval knights, bears or monsters to appear. What actually emerged was a badger at very close quarters - which took some time to notice me.

The castle dates back to the 14th century. Having it to myself felt like some sort of farewell to England... I emigrate back to Australia next week!

Pentax 645Z with 25mm f4 DA lens. Exposures in the range of 13-15 minutes. ISO 400 or 500. Aperture f4.5. Dark frame (long exposure noise reduction) activated.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
Really wonderful, Ed. You should be pleased you couldn't shoot what you wanted to, and instead got these marvelous shots.

01-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #13985
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you :-)

I am very pleased that I got these shots, especially since I already have the Castle with star trails... (StarTrailsFromFilesIMGP5778-5977(PlusDarkFrameFile5980)_St? | Flickr)
01-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #13986
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

[/IMG]
#3; Castle, fog, {a ghostly figure} and creepy trees. Can't ask for more than that. Nicely done.

Last edited by kaseki; 01-02-2020 at 03:57 PM.
01-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #13987
Pentaxian

Spanish Castle Magic, my friend!! (except in UK)

01-02-2020, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #13988
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
mmmmm, a tasty tune!
01-02-2020, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #13989
Veteran Member

Thank you :-)

I am very pleased that I got these shots, especially since I already have the Castle with star trails... (StarTrailsFromFilesIMGP5778-5977(PlusDarkFrameFile5980)_St? | Flickr)
Mate, that is a brilliant shot, such a great location. What's the deal with the light inside the place on the foggy shots? It seems to be in different spots in different pics
01-03-2020, 03:31 AM   #13990
Pentaxian

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
I like that first one, it's really superb. The slightly off-blue colour around the castle adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Back to Austrialia again? That didn't last long. What's in the air and obscuring vision over there isn't anything as harmless as fog.
01-03-2020, 06:14 AM - 3 Likes   #13991
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
#3; Castle, fog, {a ghostly figure} and creepy trees. Can't ask for more than that. Nicely done.
QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Mate, that is a brilliant shot, such a great location. What's the deal with the light inside the place on the foggy shots? It seems to be in different spots in different pics
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I like that first one, it's really superb. The slightly off-blue colour around the castle adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Back to Austrialia again? That didn't last long. What's in the air and obscuring vision over there isn't anything as harmless as fog.

Thanks so much, everyone. Very glad that you like the shots :-)

Grippy, I moved around the castle between the three shots. The first two are taken from similar, but different angles; the third from right around the other side. In the first two shots, you are seeing light from the same window (but viewed from a somewhat different angle); in the third shot, the light you see is emerging from a different window that was 'around the back' in the first two shots. Hope that makes sense...

Jonathan Mac, Yes, the return to the UK ended up lasting only about 18 months. Shorter than envisaged, but work tends to dictate where I'm based. Thankfully, the UK and Oz are both magnificent places and I am a citizen of both, so the move is relatively easy (fires aside)... I love both places and the change has been good for the variety of shots I've been able to take. But having a bit longer before relocating would have been ideal. Oh well! First World problem, for sure. Very lucky to be able to call both places home. :-)

Thanks again everyone for the very encouraging feedback - it means a lot to get positive comments from people like you, whose views and work I admire so much.

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 01-03-2020 at 06:50 AM.
01-03-2020, 01:19 PM - 3 Likes   #13992
Pentaxian

Here's Ed on his recent visit to SF, making his way up "Engagement Hill", Angel Island over his shoulder.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G955U  Photo 

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-03-2020 at 01:30 PM.
01-04-2020, 08:55 PM - 4 Likes   #13993
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

November 2, 2019

Ventura
FujiFilm GA645wi Pro, Fuji 45mm f/4.0, Kodak TMAX 400
f/11 1/700 ASA 400 Yellow Filter
T-Max Developer 1:4 7 Minutes
Epson Perfection V550 Photo
Attached Images

01-06-2020, 06:31 PM - 13 Likes   #13994
Pentaxian

Old Vasco Road
This is a landfill (aka garbage dump). I kid you not, I was desperate on Saturday morning to find a comp, any old comp.
645Z & DFA 90
01-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #13995
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MikeSF< great use of light and the reflections on the water.