Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #14401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
what a BEAUTIFUL SHOT
Thanks! It was a very rare event and one of my favorite shots.

05-27-2020, 03:05 AM - 14 Likes   #14402
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From Monday morning at Mono Lake, CA

Martian Castle Magic
645Z & DFA 25. stacked
05-27-2020, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #14403
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
From Monday morning at Mono Lake, CA

Martian Castle Magic
645Z & DFA 25. stacked
Good place for spacey, alienesque shots! Weird in broad daylight, but the stars underline it.

Real interested in the stack bit....how much stacking? And if more than just 2 shots, formation and stars, how did you manage to see?
05-27-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #14404
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Good place for spacey, alienesque shots! Weird in broad daylight, but the stars underline it.

Real interested in the stack bit....how much stacking? And if more than just 2 shots, formation and stars, how did you manage to see?
Hey Tex. I finally got around to trying Sequator for the stacking. It allowed me to bring in 10-20 8-sec exposures while freezing a mask of the foreground. I had been manually fitting individual frames in photoshop (warp tool, etc). This worked so much better. These were ISO 10,000 frames, but you'd never know from the noise reduction resulting from median stacking.

05-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #14405
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Tex. I finally got around to trying Sequator for the stacking. It allowed me to bring in 10-20 8-sec exposures while freezing a mask of the foreground. I had been manually fitting individual frames in photoshop (warp tool, etc). This worked so much better. These were ISO 10,000 frames, but you'd never know from the noise reduction resulting from median stacking.
Thank you for the tip. I asked because I'm doing museum photography, and most of it so far has been flat work. When it wasn't, I've just shot for deeper dof. But I'm about to up my game to stack at least for studio shots. In the Phase One system that's automated---but I sincerely doubt my museum will be allocating those sorts of funds towards the purchase of such a system. And I sure as heck won't be!!! So, I'm on my own with my Z----and your answer is a big help. A lot of times in the galleries I also have to juggle dof and know it's not perfect by any means---and also a lot of times the galleries are really dark.
05-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #14406
Pentaxian

Thank you for the tip. I asked because I'm doing museum photography, and most of it so far has been flat work. When it wasn't, I've just shot for deeper dof. But I'm about to up my game to stack at least for studio shots. In the Phase One system that's automated---but I sincerely doubt my museum will be allocating those sorts of funds towards the purchase of such a system. And I sure as heck won't be!!! So, I'm on my own with my Z----and your answer is a big help. A lot of times in the galleries I also have to juggle dof and know it's not perfect by any means---and also a lot of times the galleries are really dark.
tex, i may have misunderstood what you were asking. The stacking here was not for DOF, but for blending noisy frames to "average out" the noise. The software i tried is free too. It seems to do what i need better than Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop, which I have used for same.
05-28-2020, 04:44 AM - 5 Likes   #14407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Undisturbed Batiscan River, Canada. Pentax 645Z + FA 150-300 mm f/5.6 @ f/11.

05-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #14408
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I think I'd leave the camera home, and bring my Spey and switch rods....
05-28-2020, 10:59 PM - 19 Likes   #14409
Pentaxian

another from late Sunday night:

From Tioga Lake
645Z & DFA 25/4
05-28-2020, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #14410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From Tioga Lake
645Z & DFA 25/4
Wow, Mike! Just stunning work, as ever!
05-28-2020, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #14411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, what a shot, Mike! How did you get to Tioga? I thought the Park and Hwy 120 were closed during these weird times...
05-29-2020, 05:41 AM   #14412
Loyal Site Supporter

From Tioga Lake
645Z & DFA 25/4
Really impressive shot. I'm fascinated that the stars in the lake on occasion show up better than the ones in the sky...
05-29-2020, 08:06 AM - 5 Likes   #14413
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Iris from our garden.

Three iris blossoms from our garden, testing the Pentax 67 100mm f 4.0 macro on the 645Z.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
05-29-2020, 08:46 AM - 4 Likes   #14414
Pentaxian

Really impressive shot. I'm fascinated that the stars in the lake on occasion show up better than the ones in the sky...
This is caused by having lenses that are too perfect!

As an object in a scene, a star is a perfect pinpoint of light. A high-quality lens can readily image a star as single or a couple of pixels. If the exposure setting is picked to bring out the fainter stars of the sky and milky way, the brightest stars will saturate the pixels and clip. All the bright stars will be the same 100% brightness which means the image loses some of the sense of constellations of varing-brightness stars against a dim star backdrop. (Post processing to bring up the dimmer sky features exacerbates this, too.)

In contrast, the reflected star will inevitably be a bit blurred by micro-motions of the water, cover several pixels of the sensor, and thus register as a range of brighter-bigger and dimmer-smaller features.

(Note: the Kepler space telescope -- SPEX - About Kepler -- intentionally defocused its image to avoid these effects and collect better data.)
05-29-2020, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #14415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Wow, Mike! Just stunning work, as ever!
thx Ed. much appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by pixie Quote
Wow, what a shot, Mike! How did you get to Tioga? I thought the Park and Hwy 120 were closed during these weird times...
I took 108, Sonora Pass. It's open...even though my GPS was turning me back the entire time, annoying!

There is heavy processing and some "movie magic" in this image, so...

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
This is caused by having lenses that are too perfect!

As an object in a scene, a star is a perfect pinpoint of light. A high-quality lens can readily image a star as single or a couple of pixels. If the exposure setting is picked to bring out the fainter stars of the sky and milky way, the brightest stars will saturate the pixels and clip. All the bright stars will be the same 100% brightness which means the image loses some of the sense of constellations of varing-brightness stars against a dim star backdrop. (Post processing to bring up the dimmer sky features exacerbates this, too.)

In contrast, the reflected star will inevitably be a bit blurred by micro-motions of the water, cover several pixels of the sensor, and thus register as a range of brighter-bigger and dimmer-smaller features.

(Note: the Kepler space telescope -- SPEX - About Kepler -- intentionally defocused its image to avoid these effects and collect better data.)
Thanks for explaining this effect. I've often wondered why that happens.