Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #14566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Parsley Bay bridge in Sydney Harbour (dating back to 1910).

645Z with 28-45mm lens (at 45mm)

[/url][/IMG]
Magical image. Perfect image and processing. So glad you have a loaner 645Z and are sharing these images.

Thanks,
barondla.

06-29-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #14567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Do you publish books, Ed ? Like Jim Zuckerman with his Mamiya RZ 67 ?

Regards
Thanks, Richard. That's so kind of you... The answer is yes and no! I have published books, which have contained my pictures; but they weren't photographic books per se (they were humour books). So, in the way you mean, I haven't. I'd love to though...

Ed

---------- Post added 06-30-20 at 09:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Magical image. Perfect image and processing. So glad you have a loaner 645Z and are sharing these images.

Thanks,
barondla.
Many thanks - hugely appreciated. Means a lot to me :-)
06-29-2020, 07:17 PM - 3 Likes   #14568
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
found a screaming deal on a basically new Z, waiting for extension tubes to arrive. first pic with the fa120 macro, didn't nail focus... which is a little more critical on mf... but whatever, happy to have better colors. nice to learn that the handheld rules are the same on mf. i wish the 120 was a little sharper, but maybe i'll have to back up a little and use f8 or something. i'll rent the 90 at some point. as for the few casual portrait shots i did quickly, seems like a lot less time in post, things just look right more quickly, unless i'm dreaming. the dfa55 is great!

06-30-2020, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #14569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, Richard. That's so kind of you... The answer is yes and no! I have published books, which have contained my pictures; but they weren't photographic books per se (they were humour books). So, in the way you mean, I haven't. I'd love to though...

Ed

---------- Post added 06-30-20 at 09:14 AM ----------

Many thanks - hugely appreciated. Means a lot to me :-)
Your work is certainly of a quality to justify publication, though publication tends to be a business rather than an artistic question. Anyway, you can put me down as an advance order if you do publish!

---------- Post added 06-30-20 at 05:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
found a screaming deal on a basically new Z, waiting for extension tubes to arrive. first pic with the fa120 macro, didn't nail focus... which is a little more critical on mf... but whatever, happy to have better colors. nice to learn that the handheld rules are the same on mf. i wish the 120 was a little sharper, but maybe i'll have to back up a little and use f8 or something. i'll rent the 90 at some point. as for the few casual portrait shots i did quickly, seems like a lot less time in post, things just look right more quickly, unless i'm dreaming. the dfa55 is great!

I was a little surprised that you found the 120mm not quite as sharp as you would like since it has been well recognized for sharpness. (Pentax reviewers rate it a "10.") I am not questioning your judgment in any way, but am wondering if there could be an AF focussing issue or some other problem with the lens itself. I did have a focussing problem with my 90mm, which has been corrected so that it is at least the equivalent of the 120mm in sharpness, and perhaps even sharper. The only other Pentax lens I have found that rivals the 120mm for sharpness is the Pentax 67 100mm f 4.0 macro 1:2 (1:1 with its adapter).

06-30-2020, 05:17 AM - 8 Likes   #14570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bit of fun here really.

This picture depicts Sydney's CBD seen from the hills around Frenchs Forest. The main image was taken with 645Z and 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF lens. But the moon is taken from a slightly earlier picture, shot at Turrimetta Beach using the 6x7 400mm f4 EDIF lens (that part of the file was scaled down in size to match the perspective of a 300mm shot). The scene was somewhat foggy, but the part of the foreground with the thick foggy band (and associated foreground buildings) was taken from a picture shot from Beacon Hill using the 6x7 400mm f4 EDIF lens. Oh, and the main scene was shot pre-dawn, but the Sydney Harbour Bridge isn't lit up at that time, so that part of the scene is from another image taken in the evening from the same location (and with the same 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF lens).

[IMG][/IMG]
06-30-2020, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #14571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bit of fun here really.

This picture depicts Sydney's CBD seen from the hills around Frenchs Forest. The main image was taken with 645Z and 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF lens. But the moon is taken from a slightly earlier picture, shot at Turrimetta Beach using the 6x7 400mm f4 EDIF lens (that part of the file was scaled down in size to match the perspective of a 300mm shot). The scene was somewhat foggy, but the part of the foreground with the thick foggy band (and associated foreground buildings) was taken from a picture shot from Beacon Hill using the 6x7 400mm f4 EDIF lens. Oh, and the main scene was shot pre-dawn, but the Sydney Harbour Bridge isn't lit up at that time, so that part of the scene is from another image taken in the evening from the same location (and with the same 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF lens).

[/url][/IMG]
Magnificent!
06-30-2020, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #14572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bit of fun here really.
So my impression is that the artistic process has a similarity to painting, except the elements are made by combining high resolution digital image data to make the complex realistic scene that you wanted rather than any of the ones naturally available. Nicely done.

kas

06-30-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #14573
Loyal Site Supporter

found a screaming deal on a basically new Z,
Congrats and enjoy! I sort of envy you, having that first excitement with the Z---I've had mine for 6 years now, my longest run with any digital camera.
QuoteQuote:
waiting for extension tubes to arrive. first pic with the fa120 macro, didn't nail focus... which is a little more critical on mf... but whatever, happy to have better colors. nice to learn that the handheld rules are the same on mf. i wish the 120 was a little sharper, but maybe i'll have to back up a little and use f8 or something.
hmmmm....it's plenty sharp....I have found that I need to apply a bit more sharpening to my Z files than other files----or rather, that they are more tolerant of that so I can push them a bit.
QuoteQuote:
i'll rent the 90 at some point.
great lens, but it will make you appreciate the size of the 120. Of course, there's the stabilization and weather resistance...
QuoteQuote:
as for the few casual portrait shots i did quickly, seems like a lot less time in post, things just look right more quickly, unless i'm dreaming.
You're not dreaming!
QuoteQuote:
the dfa55 is great!
Yup, really great. Welcome to the family, and enjoy some of the other lenses you can get at also screaming deals----get the 150 right away.
06-30-2020, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #14574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bit of fun here really.

[/url][/IMG]
Impressive image. Your photography and processing skills are amazing.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
06-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #14575
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Congrats and enjoy! I sort of envy you, having that first excitement with the Z---I've had mine for 6 years now, my longest run with any digital camera.
thanks and ahhh... new car smell

hmmmm....it's plenty sharp....I have found that I need to apply a bit more sharpening to my Z files than other files----or rather, that they are more tolerant of that so I can push them a bit.

i agree, images are more tolerant of sharpening. but at 100% size, the 120 is not as sharp as the 55... it might be diffaction, so next time out i'll try it a little wider aperture... the k3/k1 with the dfa50mm macro or the sigma 70mm macro have really spoiled me in terms of looking at images 100% size. i mean... you really have to nail everything, which isn't always possible, but when you do those lenses are really wonerful at f10-14.

and enjoy some of the other lenses you can get at also screaming deals----get the 150 right away.
i will try! the next one will probably be the 300*, then a 35, then 150. yikes, i have to sell some of the older k-1 lenses i don't use as much.
06-30-2020, 12:00 PM - 5 Likes   #14576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Rocher Percé" at sunrise, CANADA. Pentax 645Z + A 80-160 mm f/4.5 @ f/11.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-30-2020 at 12:06 PM.
06-30-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #14577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i agree, images are more tolerant of sharpening. but at 100% size, the 120 is not as sharp as the 55... it might be diffaction, so next time out i'll try it a little wider aperture... the k3/k1 with the dfa50mm macro or the sigma 70mm macro have really spoiled me in terms of looking at images 100% size. i mean... you really have to nail everything, which isn't always possible, but when you do those lenses are really wonerful at f10-14.

i will try! the next one will probably be the 300*, then a 35, then 150. yikes, i have to sell some of the older k-1 lenses i don't use as much.
I have the A 120 macro and DFA 55. The A and FA are supposed to be optically cmparable. My 120 is every bit as sharp as the 55. The A 120 may be the only lens I've ever owned that is sharpest wide open. Don't give up on the macro.

Thanks,
barondla
06-30-2020, 06:42 PM - 4 Likes   #14578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks so much for the kind feedback, my friends - coming from you guys, it's very flattering.

I always wanted a less "fantasy" version of the image, to go with my broader portfolio, so here it is. Not entirely real, of course; I have still added the moon and composited the lit version of the bridge. But more realistic perhaps. The scene itself really did look much like this, moon and bridge aside.

[IMG][/IMG]

Or perhaps you prefer this rendering, emphasising the twilight look more strongly:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 07-01-2020 at 01:31 AM.
06-30-2020, 08:14 PM - 2 Likes   #14579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i wish the 120 was a little sharper, but maybe i'll have to back up a little and use f8 or something. i'll rent the 90 at some point.
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I have the A 120 macro and DFA 55. The A and FA are supposed to be optically comparable. My 120 is every bit as sharp as the 55. The A 120 may be the only lens I've ever owned that is sharpest wide open. Don't give up on the macro.

Thanks,
barondla

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus in support of the 120mm. I have the A version...
I am in no way trying to deny the experience you've had. There's always sample variation, so maybe you happen to have an example that isn't so good. Or perhaps there's a learning curve to its use in close-up mode (it's not the type of shot I do much). However, in my experience of using the lens more broadly, I can say that it's one of the finest in the line-up. Super-expensive, modern digital lenses like the DFA 90mm are superior, but very little else is when it comes to P645 glass. I'd suggest persevering to see if there's a way to get the most from the lens (optimum apertures; optimum shooting distance; precise focus/stabilisation technique; etc.) and then perhaps considering whether the specific lens you have may not the the best example. I feel it will reward this process.

Lovely image by the way!

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 06-30-2020 at 08:23 PM.
07-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #14580
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I might be selling my 300A*....