Pentax 645Z 28-45
Another terrific work.

07-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #14642
Veteran Member

Thank you texandrews!!!
07-16-2020, 12:34 PM - 3 Likes   #14643
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Comparison between an FA 200 mm f/4 vs an FA 80-160 mm f/4.5 zoom @ f/11.

FA 200 mm f/4

FA 80-160 mm f/4.5
07-16-2020, 03:54 PM - 9 Likes   #14644
Veteran Member

Mers-les-Bains
Pentax 645Z 28-45

07-17-2020, 12:32 AM - 14 Likes   #14645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sydney ocean pools

Having recently posted the pictures above of Mona Vale ocean pool, thought it might be a good moment to post some older shots of them.

The story of Sydney's ocean pools is an amazing one. They stand as monuments to our history and a very current expression of the country's obsession with exercise and the ocean. At various times, there have been attempts made to get rid of them, or to stop paying for maintenance - but they're such a beloved and important part of the country's way of life that anyone taking such a course is taking their political life in their hands.

The pool at Mona Vale (featured in the shots I posted above) - in Sydney's Northern Beaches - was originally built in the 1930s by unemployed men. Thinking about what that must have meant at the time is very moving - perhaps redolent of the current Covid situation, with many people jobless and full of uncertainty. The pool's exposed position has led it to need rebuilding more than once since, but there it still stands, on the edge of the Pacific - often full of people of all ages, even at 4am, often during wild weather. It certainly provides a bracing swim!

I really feel, when I see these pools in stormy weather, that something about Australia's relationship with the elements is being expressed in a bold and beautiful way. My pictures are inspired by this, but really don't come close to doing it justice :-)

(Hope this isn't too many shots to post at once - apologies if it is...)

North Narrabeen pool
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Collaroy pool
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

North Curl Curl pool
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

South Curl Curl pool

[IMG][/IMG]

Mona Vale pool again
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Dee Why pool
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Bronte pool
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Fairy Bower pool
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 07-17-2020 at 01:06 AM.
07-17-2020, 02:04 AM - 4 Likes   #14646
Veteran Member

Nice series Ed! As a reportage I prefer the ones with a general overview (like the two blue ones) Star trails don't fit so much in this series. I would like to see them in daylight as well, all that beautiful sunset light can be a bit distracting from the subject which is interesting enough by itself. Nice item for a small book!?
Hope you don't mind my critics on this nice series. :-)

Mers-les-Bains
Pentax 645Z 28-45

07-17-2020, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #14647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
Nice series Ed! As a reportage I prefer the ones with a general overview (like the two blue ones) Star trails don't fit so much in this series. I would like to see them in daylight as well, all that beautiful sunset light can be a bit distracting from the subject which is interesting enough by itself. Nice item for a small book!?
Thanks, Michiel - I appreciate the thoughtful feedback - receiving it is a great blessing. And, I must say, I agree with what you say :-)

And love your latest shots, as ever...

07-17-2020, 03:56 AM   #14648
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive series of magnificent pictures, Ed.

Regards
07-17-2020, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #14649
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Mers-les-Bains
Pentax 645Z 28-45
One of the things that inspires me about your work is how you approach scenic elements that most/all of us would consider distractions/irritants, and might be inclined to excise out of the images because they "spoil" them, and instead use them as key parts of the compositions, setting up curious visual rhyming that reinforces the formal qualities of the compositions.
07-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #14650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
One of the things that inspires me about your work is how you approach scenic elements that most/all of us would consider distractions/irritants, and might be inclined to excise out of the images because they "spoil" them, and instead use them as key parts of the compositions, setting up curious visual rhyming that reinforces the formal qualities of the compositions.
Like that big flagpole! I noticed it too, and had the same reaction. I am learning a lesson and changing my attitude a little bit toward framing and cropping.
07-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #14651
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Impressive series of magnificent pictures, Ed.
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Hear, hear!
07-17-2020, 08:23 AM - 5 Likes   #14652
Veteran Member

Neowise over Lake Erie about 1.5 hr. after sunset. 645Z, 80-160mm

07-17-2020, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #14653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mers-les-Bains
Pentax 645Z 28-45
Looks so 3D. Superb composition.

---------- Post added 07-17-20 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Having recently posted the pictures above of Mona Vale ocean pool, thought it might be a good moment to post some older shots of them.

The story of Sydney's ocean pools is an amazing one. They stand as monuments to our history and a very current expression of the country's obsession with exercise and the ocean. At various times, there have been attempts made to get rid of them, or to stop paying for maintenance - but they're such a beloved and important part of the country's way of life that anyone taking such a course is taking their political life in their hands.

The pool at Mona Vale (featured in the shots I posted above) - in Sydney's Northern Beaches - was originally built in the 1930s by unemployed men. Thinking about what that must have meant at the time is very moving - perhaps redolent of the current Covid situation, with many people jobless and full of uncertainty. The pool's exposed position has led it to need rebuilding more than once since, but there it still stands, on the edge of the Pacific - often full of people of all ages, even at 4am, often during wild weather. It certainly provides a bracing swim!

I really feel, when I see these pools in stormy weather, that something about Australia's relationship with the elements is being expressed in a bold and beautiful way. My pictures are inspired by this, but really don't come close to doing it justice :-)

(Hope this isn't too many shots to post at once - apologies if it is...)

North Narrabeen pool
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Collaroy pool
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

North Curl Curl pool
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

South Curl Curl pool

[/url][/IMG]

Mona Vale pool again
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Dee Why pool
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Bronte pool
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Fairy Bower pool
[/url][/IMG]
Your images show why so much money is spent keeping the area in tip top shape. Since people use the pools at 4 am, the night sky pictures work for me. Plus, I like the star pictures.

Thanks for sharing
barondla
07-17-2020, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #14654
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Test of a 645 FA 200 mm f/4 lens + 645 1.4X TC. ISO 1600, 1/500 sec @ f/9. NICE !

07-17-2020, 11:05 AM - 4 Likes   #14655
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
still fooling around with different macro options... i think this was the dfa55 on tubes, the fa35 on tubes, and the fa120... although i think my favorite so far is the fa75 on extension tubes.