Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2020, 08:25 AM - 4 Likes   #15166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hong Kong is on 'lock down' today with a signal 8 tropical storm. I broke the 'stay at home' rules and drove down to our local beach to take some wave pictures. I used the 645z with 6x7 55-100mm lens. I can say for sure the 645z is waterproof, or at least rain proof, and so far the 55-100 lens seemed to have survived the soaking rain as well.

Attached Images

10-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #15167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Hong Kong is on 'lock down' today with a signal 8 tropical storm. I broke the 'stay at home' rules and drove down to our local beach to take some wave pictures. I used the 645z with 6x7 55-100mm lens. I can say for sure the 645z is waterproof, or at least rain proof, and so far the 55-100 lens seemed to have survived the soaking rain as well.
Powerful image, full of drama. Remember, the Z is only as weatherproof as the lens attached to it. Be careful and safe.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
10-13-2020, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #15168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Powerful image, full of drama. Remember, the Z is only as weatherproof as the lens attached to it. Be careful and safe.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Good point about the lens and waterproofing. I suppose I was lucky today.
10-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #15169

Good point about the lens and waterproofing. I suppose I was lucky today.
Back in the day when I was still using my Canon 5D it got soaked and quit working. I opened it up, and, after drying it still worked until moving on to the 645Z, and I was able to sell the camera on Ebay for a decent price!

10-13-2020, 08:44 PM - 5 Likes   #15170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long Jetty is a place in New South Wales that certainly lives up to its name! Situated on Tuggerah Lake, the jetty here was built to enable ferries to call despite the very shallow waters extending a long way into the lake... Those ferries are now history, but thankfully (despite needing to be rebuilt more than once) the jetty is not!

645Z with 25mm f4 DA lens

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 10-14-2020 at 04:11 AM.
10-14-2020, 12:23 AM - 10 Likes   #15171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Running between Brooklyn and Mooney Mooney in NSW, these bridges serve roads from very different eras - though in fact are less than 30 years apart in age.
The older bridge (Peats Ferry Bridge) carries the Old Pacific Highway (B83) and dates back to 1945, when a ferry stopped operating. The modern bridge (Hawkesbury River Road Bridge) carries the Pacific Motorway (M1) and was opened in 1973

Getting to this position was slightly hairy. I had to scramble down a loose bank, covered in vegetation, all the time wondering if I as going to have a snake encounter (which are very active just now). Then I had to sit in the same conditions for a couple of hours in order to do the shot. Not just that, but there was literally nowhere level or regular, so I had to set the tripod up in a rather higgledy-piggledy way and hope it didn't topple into the deep, fast-flowing river (it didn't); I couldn't stand very close, in order to be ready to catch it, because then I would have been shaking the rocks on which it was perched, so had to position it and hope. Then there wasn't really anywhere I could sit without tensing leg/back muscles to keep myself steady; I didn't fancy negotiating that bank more often than necessary, so going back to the car while the camera did its work wasn't an option, and in any case, I wanted to stay and see it hadn't fallen into the river. So I stayed on those rocks, half standing and half sitting, counting the minutes. All in all, rather a trying experience!

645Z with 25mm f4 DA lens

[IMG][/IMG]
10-14-2020, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #15172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
Back in the day when I was still using my Canon 5D it got soaked and quit working. I opened it up, and, after drying it still worked until moving on to the 645Z, and I was able to sell the camera on Ebay for a decent price!
I've told this story a 'few' times, so caveat emptor ... back in the late '70s I was photographing along the shore on Mount Desert Island in Maine, when I foolishly decided to 'try my luck' on crossing some dry -ish looking seaweed at the water's edge. I slid slowly into waist-deep water, and my Rollei SL35 with 135mm tele-tessar attached got a good dunking in seawater (probably estuarial, so not full-strength). Remembering what I'd read about such contingencies in a Popular Photography magazine of the pre-internet era, I rushed to a nearby water pump in a picnic park, and doused the camera inside and out with fresh water (to flush out the salt), and put it in a plastic bag. I took the gear home and after a further flushing under tap water, stuck it into a warm oven overnight. The next day, it appeared to be dry, but the shutter and mirror seized as soon as I tested the film advance. I sent it off to the Rollei USA repair facility. A few weeks later Rollei notified me it was 'unrepairable' and I asked them to send it back. Then I started to disassemble it. I managed to get the top (with considerable difficulty) and bottom plates off, enough to expose its metal gears, to which I proceeded to 'judiciously' apply 10W-40. The hardest part was reassembling the film advance lever on the top plate. Somehow I managed, and I went on to use it for another 25-years (the tele-tessar was a write-off, aperture blades fused in rust). I periodically post scans here of mostly Tri-X negatives shot with the body post-dunking.

10-14-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #15173
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

One thing to keep in mind: distilled water. Tap water has all sorts of dissolved stuff in it. Yes, better than salt water, but still not good. Distilled water is a wonderful solvent for things that like to be dissolved in water. I have used it many times to remove the unwanted leftovers from liquid spilled onto and into electronics. Distilled water is actually the best insulator. Water isn't conductive until stuff which is conductive is dissolved in it.

So, rinse with plenty of distilled water and then into the oven at the lowest heat it has until the water has evaporated away.

The real key, though, is to remove the source of power as soon as possible to minimize the damage from all that nasty conductive stuff.

Stan
10-14-2020, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #15174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing pictures of these interesting places Ed. I like the star trails at Long Jetty where the 25mm distortion shape the star trails into two converging circles.
10-14-2020, 07:28 AM - 5 Likes   #15175
Pentaxian

Wild star shots, Ed.

Some x-post panos with a Fuji GX617

10-14-2020, 09:10 AM - 4 Likes   #15176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raining all day so indoors ! Used up a short length. of 1993 dated Fuji Neopan 400 in my 6x7 Mk I and SMC- Pentax 135mm f4 Macro . I tried IDll 1+1 for 8 mins @ 24oC -- but thin still. Lighting was tungsten lights and room lights in kitchen.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
9000F Mark II  Photo 
10-14-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #15177
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Wild star shots, Ed.

Some x-post panos with a Fuji GX617

Perfect shots for that camera!
10-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #15178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Perfect shots for that camera!
Thanks. It's fun when I can find things like that.
10-14-2020, 02:28 PM - 2 Likes   #15179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing pictures of these interesting places Ed. I like the star trails at Long Jetty where the 25mm distortion shape the star trails into two converging circles.
Thanks, Theuns!

Actually, the converging circles themselves aren't a result of wide angle distortion - they are real! If you shoot directly south (in the southern hemisphere) or north (in the northern hemisphere), you see the point of rotation around which circles are forming. If you look in the opposite direction, you see the sort of pattern visible the 'bridges' shot shown above. But if the camera is pointing somewhere between the two (this jetty shot is looking west), there is a point where the two sets of patterns meet, forming an equator - with circular patterns forming either side. This is what you see here. The 25mm's role is merely that, being very wide, it allows enough of the sky to be included to see this pattern.

---------- Post added 10-15-20 at 08:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Wild star shots, Ed.
Thanks, Tuco!

Love the 6x17 format. Always wanted one of those :-)
10-14-2020, 02:38 PM - 7 Likes   #15180
Pentaxian

A couple bridge panos. Views from the ends of parabolic arches

Last edited by tuco; 10-14-2020 at 02:43 PM.