Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #15271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxloxton Quote
Beautiful Shot.

How's your experience with 400mm? How's the sharpness and detail?
Thank you.

I've had it since 2012 - bought it second hand in a store in Hamburg, along with the FA 120. It's a very decent lens. This was wide open at f/5.6 and is pretty sharp though the headland is several miles away, the day's rain kept the haze down. Mine stays locked mainly at infinity, distant vistas are difficult sometimes with heat haze and the like, it's a beast of as lens in size to carry, but not that heavy.

10-26-2020, 07:38 PM - 9 Likes   #15272
Pentaxian

The mosquitos were so bad I couldn't concentrate or look any further for a shot. I took this and got the hell away from that lake.

500C/M, CF 50/4, Portra 160, Jobo C-41 Press Kit

Last edited by tuco; 10-26-2020 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Add Info
10-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #15273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Thank you.

I've had it since 2012 - bought it second hand in a store in Hamburg, along with the FA 120. It's a very decent lens. This was wide open at f/5.6 and is pretty sharp though the headland is several miles away, the day's rain kept the haze down. Mine stays locked mainly at infinity, distant vistas are difficult sometimes with heat haze and the like, it's a beast of as lens in size to carry, but not that heavy.
I have the 300/4.0 and the 400/5.6. Sometimes I am using the 300 and cropping rather than using the 400, but have not really made real close comparisons. Wondering your thoughts on these two lenses?
10-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #15274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The mosquitos were so bad I couldn't concentrate or look any further for a shot. I took this and got the hell away from that lake.

Stunning image with great clarity. I've had a few photo outings with skeeters. 10-20 a minute makes life unbearable. Glad you were able to get this photo.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

10-27-2020, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #15275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have the 300/4.0 and the 400/5.6. Sometimes I am using the 300 and cropping rather than using the 400, but have not really made real close comparisons. Wondering your thoughts on these two lenses?
I have the A* 300, which is certainly sharper than the 400, but then it is a special lens so I expect that. I'm not a big user of the longest lenses but the 400 is definitely not a bad lens.
10-27-2020, 04:24 AM   #15276
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Thank you.

I am thinking of buying a longer lens for the mountain closeup shots; so far the only options I have got is 300mm f4 or 400 5.6. Thats why I was asking to choose the one which would go better for that.
10-27-2020, 04:36 AM   #15277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful images, Theuns. I had no idea this part of the World could be so pristine and so inviting.

Regards

10-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #15278
Pentaxian

I am thinking of buying a longer lens for the mountain closeup shots; so far the only options I have got is 300mm f4 or 400 5.6. Thats why I was asking to choose the one which would go better for that.
If you can get the FA* or A*, grab it. Super Sharp. ON the heavy side duet to all metal construction in the case of the A* but lovely sharpness and contrast.
10-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #15279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 300mm* 4.0 would be a really great choice and a bargain at current used prices, and my recommendation unless you need the extra reach of the 400 5.6. The 400 is also a very good lens, but maybe just a shade less sharp than the 300* and of course slower.
10-27-2020, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #15280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Winter in the Fall, Quebec, CANADA.

645Z + FA 33-55 mm f/4.5 zoom, 1/250 sec @ f/11.

This will melt in a day or two but each new snowfall is like dying a little. This is the worst time of the year when Nature plays yo-yo between Fall and Winter and the days are getting so short.
10-27-2020, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #15281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A while ago I did some comparisons began the FA150-300, 300 FA* and the FA 400. If you look through this thread you will find the pictures. I found that the 300 FA* has less or shall I say near zero CA, whereas the 400mm is prone to some CA in some situations. Since then I have found that at closer distances the 300* is actually a little bit sharper. But at further distances beyond +/-200m I would say they are equal, except for the CA issue in high contrast parts of the image.

The big benefit of the FA300* is that it pairs very well with the 1.4 TC, whereas the 400 does not, at least in my experience.

The two pictures below are with the FA* 300mm and with the 1.4TC. I have not tested this on objects further away, but at least in this instance at abt 10m there seems to be no loss of quality. Except of course that the TC is manual focus only.

On these jpg pictures the TC picture look a bit sharper, which is because of the jpg loss and resizing. In raw they are equal in sharpness.
Attached Images

Last edited by TDvN57; 10-27-2020 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Finger trouble typos
10-27-2020, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #15282
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Stunning image with great clarity. I've had a few photo outings with skeeters. 10-20 a minute makes life unbearable. Glad you were able to get this photo.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Yeah, mosquitoes...I've got some stories. Used to get DDT'd down on Taylor's Island on the eastern shore of Maryland in the '60's. I truck would come with a giant fan on the back and drive around fogging everything. Kola Peninsula in Russia was pretty bad, and Upstate Maine on the Allagash was too.

I read a piece about a modern trapper guy who got himself turned around up in the north woods, and didn't get to a road for days, found by a logging truck. Malnourished and somewhat dehydrated, but it was the bugs that almost killed him. If you read Lewis and Clark's journals, only mosquitoes rank with the grizzlies in terms of backwoods horrors. And their multiple spellings of "mosquitoes" are hilarious, unless you're there, of course.
10-27-2020, 09:10 AM - 6 Likes   #15283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Please treat us to all of them! I know you've posted examples in the past, but the 10th anniversary seems special, so a post or 2 with them all would be cool.
This one contrasts the varying sand conditions.
T-Max 100 scanned in color mode just to see if I like it or not.

10-27-2020, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #15284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

Nice shot.
I know the feeling of the insatiable swarm. I've actually developed a pretty good mosquito mitigation routine for shooting when they are bad. And here in the summer when the fields are flooded to grow hay they get so bad that they will cover exposed skin in a matter of seconds to where it looks like you have dark fur that is actually just a coat of biting mosquitoes. They bite through single layer cotton like a t-shirt too. But this is also where and when the wild iris bloom so I want to get some photos.
So what I do is wear long pants like jeans or some Northface hiking shell pants that come over the tops of my shoes so my ankles are covered (or waders if the water is deep). Then I wear a thin lightweight rain shell jacket that is for cycling or summer mountaineering. To protect my head I have a net I wear over a brimmed hat and that tucks into the jacket neck. The brim keeps the net off my skin because they will bite through it if it is resting against my skin. Finally, I wear some latex gloves that tuck into the jacket cuffs to protect my hands. This is probably the worst part if it is hot, it gets pretty clammy. But the best part is I can wear this ridiculous looking outfit and not get a single bite without having to slather on the DEET which I would rather avoid if I can. Worth it and if anyone else was there to see me they would understand! But usually nobody comes to these places when the mosquitoes are bad. It's just too much.
10-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #15285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Nice shot.
I know the feeling of the insatiable swarm.
Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't prepared. I had a sweatshirt with a hoodie that saved the day for the back of my neck area but they still penetrated most of the clothing I had on.