Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #15541
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Thanks. I used the helicoid tube + the #2 tube. The 165 is my favorite lens for macro work but use the 90-180 zoom also. Both are proven.
Okay. My 6x7 helicoid doesn't have an aperture lever or look like it was made to have one. So I'm thinking it wouldn't work well with the leaf shutter lenses in leaf shutter mode capacity. I also have the 90mm LS.

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
I have the 165 LS and intended it for portraits, unfortunately the flash sync doesn't work and after trying, Eric couldn't fix it and sent it back to me. !
That sucks.

11-24-2020, 06:59 PM - 9 Likes   #15542
Pentaxian

Some walking around kind of pictures. This 55mm turns out to be my most used lens on this system it seems.

Pentax 67, 67 55mm, Orange filter, T-Max 100

11-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #15543
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I used the helicoid tube + the #2 tube. The 165 is my favorite lens for macro work but use the 90-180 zoom also. Both are proven.
Very good image. You mention a helicoidal tube. Is that a variable length extension tube for macro ?
I also see you have a 600mm for your 6x7. How is that lens for birding (apart from heavy and cumbersome)?
Could you post some images taken with that lens ?
11-24-2020, 07:27 PM - 4 Likes   #15544
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Rockstroh Quote
I have a couple I can add too.

Pentax 67, 6x7 Takumar 600/4, Pro 400H, Tetenal Colortec C-41 kit

My 2 cents. It's so big and cumbersome to the point of not wanting to use it.

11-24-2020, 07:28 PM - 3 Likes   #15545
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rocks and water, Ste Anne River. 645Z + 67 M 90-180 mm f/5.6 @ 90 mm FL and f/11.

11-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #15546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So I'm thinking it wouldn't work well with the leaf shutter lenses in leaf shutter mode capacity.
I don't use the leaf shutter on the 165 when shooting macro work with the helicoid or other tubes.
11-24-2020, 09:45 PM - 3 Likes   #15547
Pentaxian

Helicoid etc.

Very good image. You mention a helicoidal tube. Is that a variable length extension tube for macro ?
I also see you have a 600mm for your 6x7. How is that lens for birding (apart from heavy and cumbersome)?
Thanks. The helicoid is the variable tube for macro work. The 600 is a strange lens. Massive chromatic at f/4 but it calms down a lot by f/13. Technically it is afflicted by spherochromatism. Beyond f/13 it is quite sharp and the chromatic is near zero by f/22. I use it for birds, lightning and sunsets. For birds it does OK once you realize that shutter vib can really affect this lens. Here's a bird shot with the 600 + 2x converter, cropped.

11-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #15548
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. The helicoid is the variable tube for macro work. The 600 is a strange lens. Massive chromatic at f/4 but it calms down a lot by f/13. Technically it is afflicted by spherochromatism. Beyond f/13 it is quite sharp and the chromatic is near zero by f/22. I use it for birds, lightning and sunsets. For birds it does OK once you realize that shutter vib can really affect this lens. Here's a bird shot with the 600 + 2x converter, cropped.
Nice bird image. 6x7 film is approaching the size of some birds. Amazing. That is a lot of massive equipment to carry around for bird photos. I salute your determination and skill.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
11-25-2020, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #15549
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Beautiful portraits ! You donīt see many images taken with that lens, because
there arenīt many of those lenses around. That is the only way to work around
the clumsy 1/30 sec. synch speed.

I have the P67165LS as well as P645 75 and 135. I would like to propose a Leaf Shutter Lens Club. I suspect there are a number of Forum members who have these lenses and would be encouraged to use them and show off their work and share their knowledge and techniques if that kind of forum were available. Maybe we could learn a a bit from each other. Now is a good time to start it with colder weather coming on, something to do inside the house.
11-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #15550
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have a couple I can add too.

Pentax 67, 6x7 Takumar 600/4, Pro 400H, Tetenal Colortec C-41 kit

My 2 cents. It's so big and cumbersome to the point of not wanting to use it.

Thanks for posting these. I thought that soft focus due to vibration would be a problem, but these images look crisp.
I guess MLU is a must, as are shutter speeds above 1/125 s?

---------- Post added 11-25-20 at 06:56 AM ----------

Great ! Thank you. I just bought a 600mm and Iīm waiting to have it delivered. I havenīt used color or slide film in over 20 years, so chromatic aberration is less of a problem. I photograph mainly nature in B&W and want to work more with birds in that format. From what Iīve read, it seems more frustrating having to deal with a 12 m minimum focusing distance, then the other complications of this big piece of glass. I found a pair of outer bayonet rings in very bad shape and welded together by time and neglect. I hope to be able to fix and use them, as they seem to be very difficult to come by.
11-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #15551
Veteran Member

Another photo of my favorite spot! I like how the water frames that rock. Keep the photos coming!
11-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #15552
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Next pictures of the Ste Anne River will be snowy, I hope you don't hate winter too much ... lol ! You might freeze your buns for real then.

Regards
11-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #15553
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting these. I thought that soft focus due to vibration would be a problem, but these images look crisp.
I guess MLU is a must, as are shutter speeds above 1/125 s?
I carry a notepad and record film info often. But I don't have an entry for these pictures. That moon shot is definitely below 1/60th. I support the cantilevered camera body with either a second tripod or a monopod that puts a light preload upward. When you do so, movement from the inertia of the shutter curtain is not so significant and should allow you to use all of the camera's shutter speeds. Run some test shots and see what works for you. But I have used the lens with only one big tripod at 1/250 shutter speed range successfully too.
11-25-2020, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #15554
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Nice bird image. 6x7 film is approaching the size of some birds. Amazing. That is a lot of massive equipment to carry around for bird photos. I salute your determination and skill.
Thnaks! Using this lens in general is difficult due to its weight. Then there is the challenge of CA and shutter vib to consider. But it can be used successfully.

Great ! Thank you. I just bought a 600mm and Iīm waiting to have it delivered. I havenīt used color or slide film in over 20 years, so chromatic aberration is less of a problem. I photograph mainly nature in B&W and want to work more with birds in that format. From what Iīve read, it seems more frustrating having to deal with a 12 m minimum focusing distance, then the other complications of this big piece of glass. I found a pair of outer bayonet rings in very bad shape and welded together by time and neglect. I hope to be able to fix and use them, as they seem to be very difficult to come by.
Be aware that the chromatic in this lens will affect your shots, even in B&W, as it will make the edges of objects slightly soft. Of course, it is worse with color film. You are quite lucky to find the outer bay tubes, as they are probably the rarest accessory for the system. I am lucky to have a set of mint ones. The 600 can be very sharp once you get it figured out.
11-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #15555
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Effect of smaller apertures on resolution : f/16 VS f/45 on the 67 M 90-180 mm f/5.6.

Apertures of f/16 (left) VS f/45 (right) : Diffraction totally kills resolution