Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #16096
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I wonder if you guys will indulge me!

Back in 2010, I used my 645D to shoot a steam-hauled train in the Scottish Highlands. For those of you who might care about this sort of thing, it's a Black Five on Loch nan Uamh viaduct, between Fort William and Mallaig. These days, steam-hauled trains don't usually run westbound in the late afternoon (this one was a private charter run for the photographers), so a rare opportunity to get the lighting right on such a scene. We also made sure the loco. was working in a position that's actually slightly downhill; it was important to get a steam trail.

Anyhow, I am working on something using this picture and wondered which of the two following renderings you prefer. The first one is pretty much as-shot - which is closer in on the train, but still obviously a landscape shot too. The second one involved taking a picture further back, to get more of the scene included (then compositing the train and its steam trail onto that scene); it obviously makes the train less dominant, but gives (I feel) a slightly more pleasing landscape composition. I suppose it depends how much you want the train to be dominant, and how large the picture is to be used (the train being small matters less in a massive print you can walk into, I guess!). Any preferences or views?

Thanks!

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
Ed, the first says adventure or tourism , the second says suspense or military, to me . And yes , I'm sure that large prints have a different feel on both versions. On the iceberg I submitted above , the print looks like a the ice is alive and might take flight any moment, on computer less so , way less....

---------- Post added 03-09-21 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Envious. Always wanted to get to some icebergs. Did a few drawings and paintings, start of a series. Different than Richter's and some others. Been interested in them as a subject ever since I saw this painting 30+ years ago:The Icebergs - Frederic Edwin Church ? Google Arts & Culture
thanks texan Andrew now I wanna go to Dallas and see the original painting of that!!!

03-09-2021, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #16097
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ed:

My view is somewhat different. Because the train is difficult to see in detail in both images, its size doesn't matter. The [dead] "trees" in the second image provide a lot of character that I like. I also like the second image for its apparent expansion of the space that the hills/mountains continuously recede into. There is also a certain mystery to what is visible vs. what is blocked by geometry or blocked by being too black.

On the other hand, everything @Photoptimist wrote makes perfect sense.

With no pretense to compositional competency, I have the honor to be your obedient servant

kas
03-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #16098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd vote for the first one. The train gives it interesting character, makes it more than just a landscape. The second one, the train is so small, that character is lost, and it's just a landscape...a good one, but one without the little extra that the larger train adds to the first one.
03-09-2021, 10:13 PM   #16099
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in 2010, I used my 645D to shoot a steam-hauled train in the Scottish Highlands. For those of you who might care about this sort of thing, it's a Black Five on Loch nan Uamh viaduct, between Fort William and Mallaig. These days, steam-hauled trains don't usually run westbound in the late afternoon (this one was a private charter run for the photographers), so a rare opportunity to get the lighting right on such a scene. We also made sure the loco. was working in a position that's actually slightly downhill; it was important to get a steam trail.

Anyhow, I am working on something using this picture and wondered which of the two following renderings you prefer. The first one is pretty much as-shot - which is closer in on the train, but still obviously a landscape shot too. The second one involved taking a picture further back, to get more of the scene included (then compositing the train and its steam trail onto that scene); it obviously makes the train less dominant, but gives (I feel) a slightly more pleasing landscape composition. I suppose it depends how much you want the train to be dominant, and how large the picture is to be used (the train being small matters less in a massive print you can walk into, I guess!). Any preferences or views?

Thanks!

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Great shots Ed. I like the first one. The foreground in the second one creates a horizontal barrier to the rest of the frame which is distracting to me. I am sure they will both look stunning in a large print.

03-09-2021, 10:36 PM   #16100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
I would prefer the 1st, even without a train in either image. Number 1's composition flows. All the horizontal layers work together. The trees in #2 break up the "Feng Shui". It feels less serene and balanced.

Thanks,
barondla
03-10-2021, 02:45 AM   #16101
Pentaxian

Another vote for the first, Ed. Both great shots
03-10-2021, 03:31 AM   #16102

Thanks!

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Great capture!

03-10-2021, 05:12 AM   #16103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I prefer #1 too but, eh, that's just me. #2 adopted the shape of a panorama and seems taken from farther away. #1 works better IMHO.

Regards
03-10-2021, 06:12 AM   #16104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Thanks!

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
Hi,

I prefer the first one myself. It pretty much says to me that you were shooting the train with its surroundings. The second one pretty much says that you were shooting this grand panorama and a train photobombed the shot.

Or, almost like the presence of the train and bridge is marring the landscape in the second image.

Stan
03-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #16105
Pentaxian

Thanks!

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
I like the one where you can see the train.
03-10-2021, 08:41 AM - 6 Likes   #16106
Pentaxian

Some from around and above my home town of Port Talbot in South Wales

Fuji GFX100s

GF32 - 64 f/4

GF 23 f/4

3. 32 - 64

5. 100 - 200 f/5.6

6. 23 f/4

03-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #16107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. The views are fascinating.
03-10-2021, 02:44 PM - 4 Likes   #16108
Pentaxian

A couple from today. I seem to have got my son into a routine of a walk every afternoon. It's a ride for him in his pushchair and if the weather is ok, a ride on a swing in a park. It usually involves 7 - 9 miles of walking, which is good for my health at least! Today it was damp, so he didn't get a swing ride, and I almost didn't grab my camera, but decided to put the camera with the GF32 - 64 attached with the 23 into a Peak Design Everyday 15 that I had bought for half price nd received yesterday. In the end, I'm glad I did. The local river Afan was in full spate, with the hills I was walking on yesterday were under a thick blanket of cloud. It was quite dark, which I was happy about to get the texture on the water that I wanted. I didn't have my tripod with me, but with the excellent IBIS on the Fuji, I wasn't expecting that to be an issue - and it wasn't. I got sharp results on 0.7s.

Fuji GFX100s GF 32 - 64 f/8 1/4 ISO 200 44mm

I leaned the camera on a wall for the below photo:

Same camera and lens f/13 ISO 100 53mm 1.6s

03-10-2021, 07:45 PM - 4 Likes   #16109
Pentaxian

pentax 6x7....smc tak 75/f4.5....ektar100.....local process.....epson v600 via silverfast......cross posted

03-11-2021, 01:16 AM - 3 Likes   #16110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm busy setting up a small studio at home and one of the cats is testing out the new backdrop, then went after the remote control. Still struggling a bit with the optimal configuration for focus on the wireless remote.

645z + FA 80-160
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo