Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35479 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2021, 02:41 AM   #16306
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
You'd rather have the pitch dark one? I'd have to disagree there. I'd shot here before with the Pentax and with a larger aperture and higher ISO, and the room light and lighthouse light were both totally blown so shot specifically to try and stop that happening.

You do know that there is possiblility to shoot several photos in stack and let camera to maintain highlights lower while bring up overal exposure. I'm sure that one can do that in post too? I like distortion to be more natural with Pentax. I also like GFX too. you are pushing boundaries with that

04-07-2021, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #16307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
You do know that there is possiblility to shoot several photos in stack and let camera to maintain highlights lower while bring up overal exposure. I'm sure that one can do that in post too? I like distortion to be more natural with Pentax. I also like GFX too. you are pushing boundaries with that
Yes I'm aware of stacking - Ed uses it extensively. This was shot at 16 bit, so multiple 200mb files might be a little prohibitive - the fuji will do bursts of 30 seconds quite happily from a timer start.

As for distortion, I don't like to see what looks like over corrected verticals. I've seen these elsewhere where the top of a building looks like it is leaning into you and yet when you check them it's straight up. Our eyes do not see all the way up without distortion, so the 'corrected' is often actually distorted from a real view. I've tried not to over correct the verticals.
04-07-2021, 03:47 AM - 6 Likes   #16308

Our eyes do not see all the way up without distortion, so the 'corrected' is often actually distorted from a real view. I've tried not to over correct the verticals.
This -I used to use a tilt shift lens extensively on 35mm format and even perfectly corrected shots had some degree of distortion.

It's best to allow a small amount of converence to remain - a very small amount though
04-07-2021, 04:54 AM - 10 Likes   #16309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

View south from Bilgola Beach

645Z with 6x7 75mm f2.8AL lens

[IMG][/IMG]

04-07-2021, 05:01 AM   #16310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaHo Quote
Rungstedlund was the home of the former Danish novelist Karen Blixen (aka Isak Dinesen) in Rungsted on the Øresund coast just north of Copenhagen, Denmark. The windows to the left of the tree belongs to the room where she wrote "Out of Africa".

Camera: Zenza Bronica S2a
Lens: Nikon Nikkor-P 75mm f:2.8 (1A Skylight)
Exposure: 1/125 @ F/8
Film: Fuji Velvia 50 (exp. 2003) developed in Bellini E-6 chemistry in the Jobo ATL-1500 film processor
Thanks for sharing. Out of Africs is an old time favorite for me. Watch it every couple of years when I feel I need to get my feet into Africa again.
04-07-2021, 06:30 AM   #16311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Thanks for sharing. Out of Africs is an old time favorite for me. Watch it every couple of years when I feel I need to get my feet into Africa again.
Don't see LaHo post so will piggyback on yours to say how happy it makes me to see this photo. I travelled east Africa extensively back in the 1980-90s, and visited many of the kinds of places mentioned in the book Out of Africa, but did not discover the book until after retirement from international business consulting and overseas travel. The book is a delight and reminds me of pleasant times those many years ago. Added comment: Now I am wondering if I should also watch the movie, but the images are already so strong in mind that I am unsure whether the movie can add much more!

Last edited by ivanvernon; 04-07-2021 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Added the last sentence.
04-07-2021, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #16312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Don't see LaHo post so will piggyback on yours to say how happy it makes me to see this photo. I travelled east Africa extensively back in the 1980-90s, and visited many of the kinds of places mentioned in the book Out of Africa, but did not discover the book until after retirement from international business consulting and overseas travel. The book is a delight and reminds me of pleasant times those many years ago. Added comment: Now I am wondering if I should also watch the movie, but the images are already so strong in mind that I am unsure whether the movie can add much more!
No matter whether a book or movie I think it is a great story of life's joys and tears. Plus it shows a wild side of the world's nature that is forever lost, to make way for our 'modern' and 'civilized' way of living.

04-07-2021, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #16313

Not the right forum but why did Pentax not design a tilt shift lens - maybe in the 25-30mm range for the 645z?
04-07-2021, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #16314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
Not the right forum but why did Pentax not design a tilt shift lens - maybe in the 25-30mm range for the 645z?
I guess we all go off topic sometimes, like normal humans do.

If I can take a guess as to what I think a reasonable manufacturer may think about making a tilt shift lens, I would say it could be that the market for selling a TS lens would be very small and probably not cover the tooling costs. Most folks won't bother to buy and learn the skills to use a TS lens because they can now fix distorted pictures in editing fairly easily.

For the few rare and precious souls that use TS lenses professionally and need that extra touch in their craft, I would guess that our reasonable thinking manufacturer would say there are sufficient 6x7 TS lenses to fill the need.

But then again we do not know if Pentax is a reasonable thinking manufacturer, do we? It could also be possible that they simply forgot about TS lenses because they were all busy designing the new fast shutter for the K3iii :-) :-)

And to be honest I'd rather they design the new 645z mark 2 full frame before they sideline their efforts on anything else. Selfish I know, but hey, we're next in line now, been waiting a long time.

Have fun, life is precious.
04-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #16315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I guess we all go off topic sometimes, like normal humans do.

If I can take a guess as to what I think a reasonable manufacturer may think about making a tilt shift lens, I would say it could be that the market for selling a TS lens would be very small and probably not cover the tooling costs. Most folks won't bother to buy and learn the skills to use a TS lens because they can now fix distorted pictures in editing fairly easily.

For the few rare and precious souls that use TS lenses professionally and need that extra touch in their craft, I would guess that our reasonable thinking manufacturer would say there are sufficient 6x7 TS lenses to fill the need.

But then again we do not know if Pentax is a reasonable thinking manufacturer, do we? It could also be possible that they simply forgot about TS lenses because they were all busy designing the new fast shutter for the K3iii :-) :-)

And to be honest I'd rather they design the new 645z mark 2 full frame before they sideline their efforts on anything else. Selfish I know, but hey, we're next in line now, been waiting a long time.

Have fun, life is precious.
Perfectly said.
04-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #16316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I'm aware of stacking - Ed uses it extensively. This was shot at 16 bit, so multiple 200mb files might be a little prohibitive - the fuji will do bursts of 30 seconds quite happily from a timer start.

As for distortion, I don't like to see what looks like over corrected verticals. I've seen these elsewhere where the top of a building looks like it is leaning into you and yet when you check them it's straight up. Our eyes do not see all the way up without distortion, so the 'corrected' is often actually distorted from a real view. I've tried not to over correct the verticals.
it is alright. What I ment was the shape of circle from our universe. It looks more circular in 645Z photo. It could be because of different focal lenght too. I do like your shots, it was just observation and I like also that light from light house, as it is not blown out with GFX. it is amazing what can be done
04-07-2021, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #16317
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
Yes, I think it was an unfortunate omission---although it's true that it would have been seriously expensive in that particular range.

Arguing on the "perfect is the enemy of the good" side of it, I think a great candidate would have been the 6x7 45 lens---plenty of circle, kinda wide enough, sorta, it's one of the better 6 x 7 lenses I think...and Pentax already owned the design. Further, they could have partnered with Hartblei to build it. This could have kept the price down to a fairly attractive level, I think. At least they could have done a shift this way.
04-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #16318
Pentaxian

Hi,

It is nice to see a lighthouse from someone else.

And, this one sports my kind of antenna as well.

Stan
04-08-2021, 09:53 AM - 6 Likes   #16319
Pentaxian

Some x-posts.

Mukilteo Lighthouse
Pentax 67, 6x7 45mm, Acros

Indian Beach, OR
500C/M, CB 60mm, Acros

Dungeness Lighthouse
500C/M, CF 150mm, Acros

04-08-2021, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #16320

Never personally had the opportunity to use a Pentax 67 or 645 digital variant. But the rendering quality of that Indian Beach image and especially the Dungeness Lighthouse brings longing tears of fondness to my eyes for the 500 C/M and respective Zeiss lens system!