Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35489 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2022, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #17881
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Thanks for your reply and kind comment! - Never did star trails. I'm always fascinated by your great work you share here at PF. In addition many thanks for that!
I would like to join you in praising the great work of Ed Hurst. It is enjoyable, refreshing, and a little bit amazing to see the excellent work produced through his diligent, creative, and persistent application of knowledge and creativity to his photographic endeavors--not meant as meaningless flattery but honest recognition of a great talent.

01-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #17882
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Here, we see Liddell and Bayswater Power Stations in NSW's Hunter Valley.
I think that power plant would look great without the star trails as well. The steam looks really cool.
01-25-2022, 01:47 PM - 4 Likes   #17883
Pentaxian

500C/M, Zeiss CB 60mm, Expired 100 Acros, D-23

Bridge Structure
by tuco, on Flickr
01-25-2022, 03:35 PM - 8 Likes   #17884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I would like to join you in praising the great work of Ed Hurst. It is enjoyable, refreshing, and a little bit amazing to see the excellent work produced through his diligent, creative, and persistent application of knowledge and creativity to his photographic endeavors--not meant as meaningless flattery but honest recognition of a great talent.
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Thanks for your reply and kind comment! - Never did star trails. I'm always fascinated by your great work you share here at PF. In addition many thanks for that!
Wow, thanks so much guys. That means a lot to me! Truly...

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 09:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think that power plant would look great without the star trails as well. The steam looks really cool.
Hey Tuco. Thanks for the message. I know what you mean and I did shoot the image below as well. Obviously shooting for long enough to get the steam effect as per the other shot does mean that star trails show up, so this image has a different feel to it... Also, since I am trying to blend the idea of nature with manmade impact, the stars are kinda important to what I'm expressing, but I do know what you mean :-)

[IMG][/IMG]

Also, did you see this, which I posted a couple of days ago?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16063951@N00/51836852857/in/album-72177720296156303/lightbox/

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 09:44 AM ----------

More from Liddell/Bayswater Power Stations, this time with a passing storm

All with GFX100S; first two shots with Pentax 645 150mm f2.8FA lens and the third with the 28-45DA

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 01-25-2022 at 11:41 PM.
01-25-2022, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #17885
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, thanks so much guys. That means a lot to me! Truly...

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 09:38 AM ----------

Hey Tuco. Thanks for the message. I know what you mean and I did shoot the image below as well. Obviously shooting for long enough to get the steam effect does mean star trails show up, so this image has a different feel to it... Also, since I am trying to blend the idea of nature with manmade impact, the stars are kinda important to what I'm expressing, but I do know what you mean :-)

Also, did you see this, which I posted a couple of days ago?
Liddell Bayswater Coal-Fired Power Stations | Fuji GFX100S w? | Flickr

[/url][/IMG]

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 09:44 AM ----------

More from Liddell/Bayswater Power Station, this time with a passing storm

All with GFX100S; first two shots with Pentax 645 150mm f2.8FA lens and the third with the 28-45DA

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
Ed, these images of this powerplant are excellent.. I like every one but the 'gray' one you linked.. Way to go and I wish they mine.. Maybe I'll have to come to Australia some day. 😉
01-26-2022, 01:46 AM - 4 Likes   #17886
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffreybehr Quote
Ed, these images of this powerplant are excellent.. I like every one but the 'gray' one you linked.. Way to go and I wish they mine.. Maybe I'll have to come to Australia some day. 😉
Thanks mate! If you do come, I would of course be happy to be a guide to some of the locations I know. Though I have found that guiding others always leads to learning something new myself as well!

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 07:56 PM ----------

That afternoon/evening I spent photographing the power stations had such remarkable variety of conditions. As you see above, when I got there, some brooding storm systems were rolling through and, my some miracle, conditions were clear when/where I needed them to shoot the stars (even though there was some fog in the early evening near the power stations). By the way, that was more amazing than you can know from these pictures. All around me, storm clouds remained; there was evening lightning behind me. Yet, for the 90 mins required to shoot the stars, a clear hole just sat precisely above the power stations and no clouds encroached into that no-fly zone. Quite amazing.

And now, to show you the final part of the extraordinary luck I experienced that day. Between the storms and the stars, there was also a lovely sunset. I could have tried multiple times to get these three different sets of conditions to a high standard. Instead, I managed to nail all three on my first visit. Oh well, my luck ran out, because a few days after this trip, Covid visited our house (though without terribly serious effects, at least so far!).

So here are some images from that sunset...
There with GFX100S and various Pentax lenses

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And these with the 645Z and the 67 400mm EDIF lens
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffreybehr Quote

I have just realised what you mean by the "gray" one. Have you played the video file on that link? For some reason, the still image you see before the video plays looks mushy and washed out, but the video file is a bit better. Still not great (looks much better when I play it locally, without web crunching involved), but better than the grey, preview still.
Anyhow, thanks again for your encouraging feedback - much appreciated as ever
01-26-2022, 04:37 AM   #17887
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mr Smiley bringing some joy despite these dreary winter times... 645Z + FA 120 mm f/4

01-26-2022, 07:25 AM   #17888
Pentaxian

Hi,

I like all the power plant shots. Each is different enough it could be a series of different plants, needing a loser look to tell they're all the same facility.

And, then, another one of those fruit shots which makes me try to spoon some out of the computer screen....

Stan
01-26-2022, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #17889
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
500C/M, Zeiss CB 60mm, Expired 100 Acros, D-23

Bridge Structure
by tuco, on Flickr
That's a fine shot. Worthy of the Constructivists, or Sheeler.
01-26-2022, 08:30 AM   #17890
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks mate! If you do come, I would of course be happy to be a guide to some of the locations I know. Though I have found that guiding others always leads to learning something new myself as well!

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 07:56 PM ----------

That afternoon/evening I spent photographing the power stations had such remarkable variety of conditions. As you see above, when I got there, some brooding storm systems were rolling through and, my some miracle, conditions were clear when/where I needed them to shoot the stars (even though there was some fog in the early evening near the power stations). By the way, that was more amazing than you can know from these pictures. All around me, storm clouds remained; there was evening lightning behind me. Yet, for the 90 mins required to shoot the stars, a clear hole just sat precisely above the power stations and no clouds encroached into that no-fly zone. Quite amazing.

And now, to show you the final part of the extraordinary luck I experienced that day. Between the storms and the stars, there was also a lovely sunset. I could have tried multiple times to get these three different sets of conditions to a high standard. Instead, I managed to nail all three on my first visit. Oh well, my luck ran out, because a few days after this trip, Covid visited our house (though without terribly serious effects, at least so far!).

So here are some images from that sunset...
There with GFX100S and various Pentax lenses

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

And these with the 645Z and the 67 400mm EDIF lens
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 08:14 PM ----------

I have just realised what you mean by the "gray" one. Have you played the video file on that link? For some reason, the still image you see before the video plays looks mushy and washed out, but the video file is a bit better. Still not great (looks much better when I play it locally, without web crunching involved), but better than the grey, preview still.
Anyhow, thanks again for your encouraging feedback - much appreciated as ever
This is a fantastic series Ed, amazing good luck as well, or as Gary Player (the golfer) once said, playing good golf is just luck, but the more he plays the more luck he has...
01-26-2022, 09:21 AM   #17891
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by w2ck Quote
another one of those fruit shots which makes me try to spoon some out of the computer screen....
How can you even think of eating Mr Smiley, Stan ??? LOL !

Best Regards
01-26-2022, 12:22 PM   #17892
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by w2ck Quote
... I like all the power plant shots. ... .
Me too!
01-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #17893
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Me too!
Hi,

He's Safe. My spoon keeps bouncing off the screen!

Stan
01-26-2022, 12:54 PM   #17894
Pentaxian

Hey Tuco. Thanks for the message. I know what you mean and I did shoot the image below as well. ...
I should have known you'd have taken more shots of that power plant.
01-26-2022, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #17895
Pentaxian

I got a lot of shots just walking across that bridge. Here is another...

500C/M, Zeiss 60mm, Expired Acros, D-23

Snohomish Delta
by tuco, on Flickr