Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35453 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2022, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #18586
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Situated in Sydney Harbour at the junction of the Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers, Cockatoo Island is a fascinating place. These days, it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was once a heavily vegetated, and Indigenous Australians called it Wa-rea-mah. It was used in the first half of the nineteenth century as a convict penal establishment - mainly to dispense punishment to convicts who had re-offended in the colonies. After that, it was used as one of Australia's largest shipyards, only ceasing operations in 1991. What remains is amazingly in tact - hence its significance to UNESCO. Wandering around really is a wonderful experience. It's accessible by ferry but almost never seems to be busy. It's almost a hidden gem in a bustling city - a bit of a time warp.

As part of this, a preservation group has restored a couple of steam-powered cranes and occasionally operate them for demonstration purposes. This one was built by Priestman's of Hull (in the UK) in the 1890s and is powered by a vertical boiler. Amazingly, in remained in frequent use until the late 1980s. Operated by a driver and two riggers, it played a vital role in the operation of Fitzroy Dock, moving along rails to assist with the maintenance of ships. It was also used to tow ships into dock. This is the first time it has steamed in three years and is due to be the only steaming day of the year.

All shots taken with Fuji GFX100S and Pentax 67 55-100mm lens.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Here seen through the windows of an adjacent workshop building...
[/url][/IMG]
What a wonderfully interesting place!
Nice how you photographed the steam crane
A nice look at the past

Henk

07-10-2022, 11:52 PM - 3 Likes   #18587
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Briese Woodlands and Wetlands Hike

Went hiking in a wetland/forested area north of Berlin. The wetland area is predominantly a peatlands and the multiple ponds are from peat "mining" or harvesting dating back to the 1700's, which subsequently filled up with water, creating the ponds.

Further into the wetlands a small stream is dammed up with obvious signs that beavers are at work, creating fascinating ponds amongst the trees.

Also came across some wild flowers with bees and other insects which posed unknowingly for some impromptu macro shots on the fly.

Pentax 645z + P67 165mm f/2.8 and P645 FA 35mm.

#1: Pathway through the woods. 165mm lens

#2: Bee working a flower for food. 100% crop with 165mm lens

#3: Some insect making itself useful on the flower, however it refused to pose for a picture and mooned me. 100% crop with 165mm lens.

#4: Looks like a type of bee harvesting a flower. 100% crop with 165mm lens

#5 & #6: Beaver dams. 35mm lens

A nice surprise of the hike was at the end a rest area with log furniture and a trailer kitchen selling basic but good food and drinks. Nice day with new sights and sounds.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by TDvN57; 07-11-2022 at 01:27 AM.
07-11-2022, 12:10 AM - 4 Likes   #18588
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another couple from that visit to Cockatoo Island.

First, a disused lathe sitting in a pool of morning sunshine within the shipyard.

[IMG][/IMG]

And a shot of my young boys - Archie (8) on the left and Henry (6) on the right - enjoying the spectacle. Though, truth be told, they were more interested in when we could escape to have brunch, which they the hardly ate because I had foolishly allowed them to eat snacks to keep them occupied while I was taking pictures!

[IMG][/IMG]
07-11-2022, 02:39 AM - 5 Likes   #18589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Another couple from that visit to Cockatoo Island.

First, a disused lathe sitting in a pool of morning sunshine within the shipyard.

[/url][/IMG]

And a shot of my young boys - Archie (8) on the left and Henry (6) on the right - enjoying the spectacle. Though, truth be told, they were more interested in when we could escape to have brunch, which they the hardly ate because I had foolishly allowed them to eat snacks to keep them occupied while I was taking pictures!

[/url][/IMG]
Great shots of an era gone by.

=========================================================

Talking of an era gone by, recently I got this Gossen light meter at a flea market in Berlin for EU15. The original mercury PX13 1.35v batteries are no longer available although non-mercury replacements are available costing more than the light meter. Scouting around in the battery isle I found hearing aid batteries with the same thickness but only 6mm diameter instead of 13mm diameter, but at the required voltage. I bought two for EU 1.99 and dropped them into the light meter, wiggled them around to settle within the screw cap, and voila the meter worked as if new.

In the 80's I had a similar light meter, although not as fancy as this model and it brought back many sweet memories I had had with with my first 6x7. First model camera, no MLU and no built in light meter paired with the 105mm f/2.4.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
07-11-2022, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #18590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote

Talking of an era gone by, recently I got this Gossen light meter at a flea market in Berlin for EU15. The original mercury PX13 1.35v batteries are no longer available although non-mercury replacements are available costing more than the light meter. Scouting around in the battery isle I found hearing aid batteries with the same thickness but only 6mm diameter instead of 13mm diameter, but at the required voltage. I bought two for EU 1.99 and dropped them into the light meter, wiggled them around to settle within the screw cap, and voila the meter worked as if new.

In the 80's I had a similar light meter, although not as fancy as this model and it brought back many sweet memories I had had with with my first 6x7. First model camera, no MLU and no built in light meter paired with the 105mm f/2.4.

Super stuff!
07-11-2022, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #18591
Pentaxian

Went hiking in a wetland/forested area north of Berlin. The wetland area is predominantly a peatlands and the multiple ponds are from peat "mining" or harvesting dating back to the 1700's, which subsequently filled up with water, creating the ponds.

Further into the wetlands a small stream is dammed up with obvious signs that beavers are at work, creating fascinating ponds amongst the trees.

Also came across some wild flowers with bees and other insects which posed unknowingly for some impromptu macro shots on the fly.

Pentax 645z + P67 165mm f/2.8 and P645 FA 35mm.

#1: Pathway through the woods. 165mm lens

#2: Bee working a flower for food. 100% crop with 165mm lens

#3: Some insect making itself useful on the flower, however it refused to pose for a picture and mooned me. 100% crop with 165mm lens.

#4: Looks like a type of bee harvesting a flower. 100% crop with 165mm lens

#5 & #6: Beaver dams. 35mm lens

A nice surprise of the hike was at the end a rest area with log furniture and a trailer kitchen selling basic but good food and drinks. Nice day with new sights and sounds.
That third photo with the butt of the bee is very nice :-)
07-11-2022, 05:58 PM - 7 Likes   #18592
Pentaxian

From a trip to Rhossili this evening (well last evening)

GFX100s GF 35 - 70 8 min exposure

40 secs

07-12-2022, 03:48 AM   #18593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
From a trip to Rhossili this evening (well last evening)

GFX100s GF 35 - 70 8 min exposure

40 secs

Was the 8 min handheld? :-)

I like #2 with the boat and a little more texture. Very nice and it looks like a bucket list location.
07-12-2022, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #18594
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645D + FA 645 35mm f3.5 AL (IF)

07-12-2022, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #18595
Pentaxian

Was the 8 min handheld? :-)

I like #2 with the boat and a little more texture. Very nice and it looks like a bucket list location.

It was one of the calmest evenings I have ever seen there.
07-12-2022, 03:29 PM - 5 Likes   #18596
Pentaxian

Another from last night

07-13-2022, 01:15 AM - 7 Likes   #18597
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another from last night

A feast to the eyes, very nice. Thank you for sharing.

-

========================================================================

A couple of re-edits and some salvaged from the bin, all with a new look to enhance the drama of nature.

645z + FA 150-300mm and FA 400mm taken between 2015 and 2018.

Comments and critique welcome.

-
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
07-13-2022, 02:08 AM   #18598
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of re-edits and some salvaged from the bin, all with a new look to enhance the drama of nature.645z + FA 150-300mm and FA 400mm taken between 2015 and 2018.Comments and critique welcome.
Ha Ha ! You should title the first image "At the dentist : Open wide ... ". These are all superb images, particularly the two first pictures, Theuns.

Best Regards
07-13-2022, 04:50 AM   #18599
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Ha Ha ! You should title the first image "At the dentist : Open wide ... ". These are all superb images, particularly the two first pictures, Theuns.

Best Regards
Thank you Richard. I always resisted B&W until recently. Slowly getting convinced. Wonder if it is possible to convert the 645z to B&W. The last two pictures were totally flat in color, but when working on it in B&W the stress and tension in the animals just stood out.

Last edited by TDvN57; 07-13-2022 at 05:00 AM.
07-13-2022, 07:53 AM   #18600
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another from last night

Of the three, as a photo-tourist, I like this one best. It establishes the natural environment and, perhaps, reduces man's work to its proper perspective.

And a question raised by the kitty dental exam: Can anyone here watch a cat yawn, or even view a photo of one, and not yawn in sympathy?